PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Non- Merited

bob_hancock
07-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Although!Receive 2 merits!

Posting my two Images that did not merit at Nationals.
Trying to get better at Competitions.
Please critique.
Anything I could have done to make these images merited?
Should I have entered other Images?

Not sure how to post larger file!
Bob

Don_Chick
07-29-2008, 04:58 AM
Hi Bob,

I'll add comments, but it is hard to see details on such small prints.

The one on the left. The ear is so bright, it competes with the subjects face for center of interest.

There (imo) is too much foreground competing with the Barn. I would have looked at taking some off the bottom to strengthen the Barn as center of interest in this image. The road has a nice leading line quality to it but I think there is too much green grass on the bottom.

Interested to know your titles?

bob_hancock
07-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Thanks Don,

Hunter . . . Bulls Eye
Barn . . . . .Chasing Mail pouch Barns.

Will attempt larger file tomorrow!

Rodney_Ninow
07-29-2008, 05:55 AM
Bob the only way to show larger files is to host them somewhere else, either your own FTP or someplace like photobucket or flicker.

Linda_Gregory
07-29-2008, 12:55 PM
What's a mail pouch barn?

Okay, I'm assuming that's a type of barn structure but how many know that?

I guess I'm suggesting rethinking your title for it if you rework it to resubmit. I'd be wondering what the title meant instead of looking at the image when it turned.

Did you sign up for the video critique? I got 4 for 4 last year and still got a thorough critique, explaining why they weren't worthy of a loan.

This thread it good for that, too but those guys were right there with the prints to talk about them. I loved that Mark Garber actually SAID, "Great print quality" on one!!!

bob_hancock
07-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Linda, Thanks!!!
I did sign up for the critique. Will wait to see what the Judges haft to say.
Next year I will post Images here . . . For review before submitting.

Do not think I would ever re-enter these Images. Always interested in learning for the next competition!

Keith_A_Howe
07-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Bob, I didn't see either print so I showed Holly and asked if she remembered either. She said she did remember the barn one as she read that title. She said it didn't flow off the tongue (what does that mean?) and it was confusing even with the mail pouch sign on the barn. She also remembered there were some issues with burning in the sky. I can see the sky proplems even on this low res file. I am guessing the hunter was overworked. His skin looks awfully smooth for a man and also too light. however those comments are from looking at thgis small image on our old crummy laptop.

Keith

Linda_Gregory
07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Here's my non-merit image.

I loved the original but I think it was too personal. A foggy day in Prague, the morning we were leaving. Usually this bridge is wall to wall people all day long, any weather!

I was surprised at the stillness and loved the expanse. It seemed weak in the fog (shoulda just stopped there, it was weak!) so I tried a sketch affect and of course, the judges were looking for a reason for the affect...why was it not strong on it's own? I think Holly said the sky treatment was not equal across the image and of course, I would understand why, it's sunrise to the east! But they would have no idea. My little head would have said, sky's are most often NOT equal on one side or the other but it just goes to show this print is weak and if it hadn't been that reasoning, another would have popped up.

http://lindagregory.com/hth.jpg

http://lindagregory.com/original.jpg

Mark_Levesque
07-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I think you did a fine job on it, Linda.

Linda_Gregory
07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Thank you Mark. *sniff*

Oh, the title was Hiking Through History.

bob_hancock
07-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks Keith, Will remember about overworking.

I am working on 4-4 for next year!

Noelle_Zaleski
07-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I ordered the video CC so I can see how I can improve in the future.

Rodney_Ninow
07-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Bob, even on this small sample, I can definitely see the problems in the sky. There are other ways to darken sky that would yield a more even effect, you can use the gradient map as a sort of digital split graduated filter or use some of the tools available in ACR3 when doing your raw conversion if you have CS3.

Noelle_Zaleski
07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks Keith, Will remember about overworking.

I am working on 4-4 for next year!

YOU GO BOB!! Me too!!:D

RonNichols
07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Although!Receive 2 merits!

Posting my two Images that did not merit at Nationals.
Trying to get better at Competitions.
Please critique.
Anything I could have done to make these images merited?
Should I have entered other Images?

Not sure how to post larger file!
Bob

Bob,

I think I was on the panel when the Barn came through. It looked over-saturated and not believable.

Ron

bob_hancock
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Bob,

I think I was on the panel when the Barn came through. It looked over-saturated and not believable.

Ron

Ron,
Thanks, . . .. It was over-saturated. I have a tendency to do that!
When you say not believable, are you referring to the saturation? Or some other element?
Could or would this have been a merit print?

Heather_L._Smith
07-29-2008, 04:20 PM
I had one merit, but here are the other three that didn't go. I knew they were borderline anyway and all have their problems (which, actually, I think the biggest problem is that they weren't unique or original... just the same thing done in a competent, but unoriginal, way):

Wrapped Around My Finger
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/Nationals/SnowBaby.jpg

Where We Goin'?
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/Nationals/Shadow.jpg

It Ain't Easy Being Green
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/Nationals/BeingGreen.jpg

Mark_Levesque
07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Well, I love "Where We Goin'?" Maybe not exactly groundbreaking, but I've seen dog pics in the loan book that don't look any more original. It was well executed, and I thought it would hang.

Linda_Gregory
07-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm surprised, too.

I love the 'Green' one but wonder if it was knocked out because of not having the full reflection?

Heather_L._Smith
07-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Aw, shucks. You guys are sweet :)

Linda - that's funny that you should mention the full reflection - the original file includes the full reflection and I didn't like it, so I cropped it.

Fortunately, I ordered the critique, so hopefully I'll get some good feedback there and be able to incorporate it into my work going forward.

RonNichols
07-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Ron,
Thanks, . . .. It was over-saturated. I have a tendency to do that!
When you say not believable, are you referring to the saturation? Or some other element?
Could or would this have been a merit print?

I was referring to the saturation. SOOOOO many people pumped up the saturation on images and it killed them. The sky, as mentioned, was an issue.

RonNichols
07-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I had one merit, but here are the other three that didn't go. I knew they were borderline anyway and all have their problems (which, actually, I think the biggest problem is that they weren't unique or original... just the same thing done in a competent, but unoriginal, way):

My two cents for what it is worth.

Wrapped Around My Finger

Skintones look too red

Where We Goin'?

If the tongue would have been in the mouth, this probably would have done better. It's very nice.

It Ain't Easy Being Green

This one just lacked impact. I remember seeing it when it came up. It also does not look straight (may be an illusion, but it seemed that way on the panel). The reflections looked blocked up.

Ron

Heather_L._Smith
07-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Ron!

bob_hancock
07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Rod thanks, for the feed back!
Looking forward to you speaking at triangle in October!
Bob

Kari_J_Blunck
08-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Ummmm a bit nervous about posting these... but here goes!!!

These two images did not merit at Nationals.
I did well on them locally.

Is there anything that could have gotten them up to an 80?

Ben_Leavitt
08-02-2008, 05:04 AM

Kari, with my vast experience with the national print competition I'd say that these images should have both gone loan easily.
Just kidding, this is my first PPA print competition ever, and I don't see why these didn't merit.

I could make up some reasons, (digitally overworked, distracting highlights, dress looks too blue) but I don't think any of them are valid ones for not meriting.

I bet if the bride were holding a live chicken it would have merited. Like I said, my opinion can't be trusted.;)

Anyone else have any ideas for Kari's prints? I'm stumped.

Dave_Cisco
08-02-2008, 05:43 AM

Hi Kari...long time no see.
The first image just seems like it's "jumbled". Also, I always like to see light in the background to provide depth.
With the bride...There is no excitement in the lighting...it's just flat.

Kari_J_Blunck
08-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks my friend Ben!
You crack me up!
I'll have to agree with you on the chicken! LOL :rolleyes:

Hey Cisco,
Thanks for posting... I appreciate your comments. :D

I certainly agree with you that the lighting on the bride is flat.

Here is the original image turned bw with a vignette of the little girl.
There was depth in original capture... but I ended up messing with this image SO much and settled on making a dark background because the lines in the background were distracting. I also wanted more contrast between the subject and the background. Working on this image drove me insane! :eek:

I can see that it might look jumbled with her hands and arms and hair a mess... I guess that's what I love about it. And of course I know more of the behind the scenes story to this image which is what has me drawn to it. This little girl would not smile for anything... and she didn't want me to see her face so she was working hard at covering it up.... there is so much emotion in her eyes and when I look at it I see a story. A story of an unhappy little girl... I guess this is an image that you either love it or hate it... no hard feelings to those who don't love it. :)

Noelle_Zaleski
08-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Here is "Bay Watch" no merit and I am awaiting the video CC to see what was said.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/gullfinal2croppedcopyweb.jpg

Ben_Leavitt
08-02-2008, 06:11 PM
I knew they were borderline anyway and all have their problems (which, actually, I think the biggest problem is that they weren't unique or original... just the same thing done in a competent, but unoriginal, way):

Heather, I agree. Your images look technically perfect to me, and very pretty. I would hire you any day to take my family portraits!
I think they might have been passed over just on the basis that they were fairly common subjects.
I'm still unsure why they didn't merit though, just like I'm uncertain why my 4th print didn't merit (http://www.leavittphoto.com/misc/niche_sm.jpg). I'm sure there are valid reasons though.