PDA

View Full Version : Title help

Chris_Padgett
07-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I am entering my first competition (state) and am trying to fill my case. This is a possibility but I am stumped on a title. You can CC if you like but I won't have time to make changes since I've waited til the last minute.
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t329/padgettphoto/Compprint4low.jpg

Don_Chick
07-28-2008, 08:45 PM
think, think, think.......

Proud Grandparents
The Patriarch
My Girls

Keith_A_Howe
07-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Thank GOD they all take after my wife.

Chris_Padgett
07-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Keith,

Thanks for the laugh. Is there any unwritten rule to how long a title can be?

Don-thanks for your suggestions

Art_Wright
07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
"Cyclops Happy Face"

"Democracy? Not in this House"

"Mass Rules!"

"Testosterone Shortage"

"Daddy's Girls!"

Keith_A_Howe
07-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Keith,
Is there any unwritten rule to how long a title can be?

Well - some people say no more than 5 words. I think if it's the perfect title and rolls easily off the tongue - longer is ok. I showed this print to Holly and she is the one who came up with that title. She said she did notice ( she should know cause she was reading them) a slight trend towards longer titles this year. One or two word titles are still prevelant but there were more longer ones than in the past.

Speaking of titles - here are a couple other things -
no foreign words - the announcer may not know how to pronounce them and it spoils the effect.

Place names - the judges don't care exactly what valley or mountain or lake it was. Unless they have been there themselves that is irrelevant. A title that sets the mood is better

pop culture references - not always bad - but any guesses how MANY images were called "Guitar Hero" this year? When the judges have heard the title dozens of times - it doesn't sound clever anymore - in fact it sounds like no imagination

I know you said no time to redo this print but if you did I would tell you it's way too light and I am seeing keyholing from burning the background. I think those two issues will keep it out of the merit catergory.

Keith

Stacey_West
07-28-2008, 10:12 PM
"Our Legacy"

Chris_Padgett
07-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Thanks everyone for some great titles. I don't know why I have a such a hard time with them.

Keith-thanks for the comments on the print, I may try and rework it. All of them will be back from the lab on Wed. I may wait and see how it looks, I'm sure you are right. I was in a hurry to get them sent in and I remember toning it down, but I was losing the detail in the shirts.

The one thing I have learned because of entering (and following the drama on Jeff's post) is that if someone is a master, they deserve some props!!!

I'm sure I will chock this one up as a learning experience. I just hope I can score in the 70's.

MarilynDillon
07-29-2008, 03:26 AM
"I Loved Them First"
"Aren't they Lovely"
"They are My Sunshine"
(All plays on songs about girls)
"He's Our Hero"
"Thank Heaven for Little Girls"
"All Sugar....Some Spice"
"All Sugar...."
"This Ones for the Girls"

I think my fav of these is "All Sugar, A touch of Spice"
(or something like that)

Keith_A_Howe
08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm sure I will chock this one up as a learning experience. I just hope I can score in the 70's.

Chris I am sure you will score in the 70's! This is not an image that will embarass you in any way. I just see some things that I think would keep it out of the merit catagory.
Keith