PDA

View Full Version : Print Competition Viewing Areas

D._Craig_Flory
07-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Now that Keith has posted the images of competition going on, I'm starting a thread asking everyone, who has a competition image viewing area, to post image of your set-up. I use my camera room and set it up when needed. I'll photograph mine when I finish the wedding album pages & upload them to the lab that I'm working on.

So, how about some others showing what you have so people new to competition can see how you have it set up to view images !

Michael_Gan
07-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Viewing area? What's that?

D._Craig_Flory
07-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Michael;

In my camera room, I set an easel and put two Photogenic Powerlights off at a 45ยบ angle at the sides with a 7" parabolic on each with the modeling lights all the way up. I put competition images on the easel to see how they look for entering. I also use this when I 1st order 8X10's for selecting which to then order 16X20s'.

KirkDarling
07-24-2008, 07:42 PM
I've seen the light-level requirements published somewhere, but I don't have a URL at the moment. It defined the necessary light level in terms of an incident light reading at the print surface--something like f/11 at 1/125 and ISO 100 or some such. Does anyone have that? Keith?

Joe_Galioto
07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
i think it's f16 ???
joe

John_Stein
07-24-2008, 07:54 PM
This is from the Jury Chairmans manual

Lighting specifications should produce a meter reading at 100 ISO that is EV8 or f/16 @ 1 second.
Corners of the image must receive no less than 75% of the intensity of the center of the image.

John

Andrea_Chapelo
07-24-2008, 08:20 PM
You mean you are supposed to look at them before you send them...uh oh:p

Noelle_Zaleski
07-24-2008, 08:48 PM
You mean you are supposed to look at them before you send them...uh oh:p

Same thing I thought:D

Lori_Clapp
07-25-2008, 01:10 AM
My viewing area is wherever I happen to be standing when UPS arrives with my prints and I open the box. I view them and pack them into my print case. Pretty high tech don't you think?

Sandra_Pearce
07-25-2008, 01:24 AM
I step out of my back door in the blazing Florida sun and use it for viewing.
Not very professional but like Lori says it is where I get mine delivered.

Sandra

Jackie_Haggerty
07-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Same here, open the box, take a looksie, tilt it a few times and it is all done!

Jeff_Dachowski
07-25-2008, 02:38 AM
you really want a picture of me in my bathroom?
Jeff

Peter_Bauer
07-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Sandra, you're pretty close -- f/16 - 1 second - ISO 100 is bright sunlight. Having just returned from the Judging Clinic (It was FANTASTIC!), I can say that bright sunlight is, in fact, a very good substitute for the setup in the Jury Chairman's Handbook. (The lights are raised to 83" and pointed at the center of the turntable. The corners are measured to ensure adequate light falls, regardless of whether the image being viewed is portrait or landscape.) It costs a bit of money and space, but it's certainly feasible to create your very own PPA-spec viewing station in your studio/home. The actual specs are available in the Handbook at page 3 of this link:
http://www.ppa.com/files/public/JCmanuaNov07.pdf
(I believe the Handbook I received at the Clinic is more recent, there is no change to the setup.)

Here's one thing I didn't know, never before having observed a PPA style judging: While the center of the Jurors' table is six feel from the turntable, the jurors can get up, walk around the table, and view the image as closely as they want. (Sort of destroyed the one print that I had sharpened and printed to be viewed from six feet -- up close it looks horribly over-sharpened, but at six feet it looks incredibly crisp. Glad I learned this at the Clinic and didn't waste one of my four entries with this print!)

If you get a chance, I strongly urge you to attend the Judging Clinic next year. The money it costs to attend may actually be offset by the money you save in print costs/entry fees between now and the acceptance of your Master of Photography degree! Even if you attend solely to improve your competition scores, with no desire to actually become a print competition judge, you'll benefit.

Pete

D._Craig_Flory
07-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Ok, as promised, here is how I set up to view my competition prints. I use the same if I first order 8X10's before commiting to 16X20's.

Michael_Barton
07-28-2008, 12:40 AM
There are specific distances and spacing for each light and the lights themselves. They are 150W photogenic minispots with barndoors and 3200K bulbs. It's actually fairly tricky to get right. There is also a specific height to the easel.

I need to post a shot, but I have a setup in my studio with a remote control for the lights. I use it for comp as for client previews. I have it setup about 6 feet from my Epson 9800. Being able to view your prints right out of the gate is HUGE. I can't express the difference it has made in my scores. Night and day. Most photographers don't know what their prints look like under the lights until they are in front of the judges. There is definitely an art to printing under those insanely bright lights. There are numbers to follow in PS, but the real proof is the final resting place under the lights.

Mark_Levesque
07-28-2008, 12:51 AM
I an imagine it would be a substantial advantage being able to print your own and view them under regulation lights, tweaking as necessary to dial in the print to achieve your artistic vision. I know that I have seen images lose texture under the lights in the highlight areas, and it was a surprise and a disappointment. Believe me I would have loved to have had a second crack at them. :)

KirkDarling
07-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Mark, you used to look like Lee Horsely, now you're kind of reminding me of Tennessee Earnie Ford.

I liked Ford...he was a B-17 pilot in WWII.

D._Craig_Flory
07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Mark, you used to look like Lee Horsely, now you're kind of reminding me of Tennessee Earnie Ford.

I liked Ford...he was a B-17 pilot in WWII.

Hi Kirk;

You talk about Mark but you are starting to look like Beyonce' . :D Did you make a trip to Sweden ? :o