PDA

View Full Version : ok-here goes...please help me before Image review

GeorgeannChambers
07-13-2008, 09:38 PM
I didn't do so well the last time- ok - that's the understatement of the year! I didn't pass the image review- I am convinced it was because I was too chicken to show my work to all of you. Now I know better. Here are my images - rip them apart- let me know what I need to do differently or if they will pass me. I know I am being really optimistic. I have only been at this for 3 years, but I passed the test on the first try 'cause I've been doing this as a passion of mine for forever! I haven't been doing people and that is the difference for me. If I could somehow get my brain to wrap around the concept that light is light no matter what you are shooting but that disconnect is still there.

Anyway, here is the link- and I thank you in advance for your help, your criticism and your support.
:)

http://www.chamberstudio.com/cpp/index.htm

Alan_Harwell
07-14-2008, 01:56 AM
My favorites are #10, 12, & 18.

I don't like the high key blouse on a low key image on #9

I do like the colors and placement on #15, but the subjects are off center, and try and brighten the shadows on the faces.

I don't like the veil on #17, very distracting. I think the rest of the image is out of focus.

The clothing on #19 is not dark enough. Make the blacks "good and black!"

Good luck to you!

Anne_Raker
07-14-2008, 04:48 AM
I'm going through the same process right now, so I don't have any great advice, but I did want to reply and wish you luck! :D

Rodney_Ninow
07-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Just wanted to let you know I looked at your images. I am no expert in this process, so I can't really offer any help, but good luck to you!

Karen_Linsley
07-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Hi Georgeann; I didn't pass on my first try either; don't get discouraged, just hang in there.

I like 1, 10,12, 14, 15, 20, 21 and 24.

2 has something in the lower right corner distracting from the rest of the image; three, well, there's just nothing going on there, same with 4. Five is adorable, but the color of her dress vs the rocks distracts me, and her little arms up in the air are also distracting. If you have any others of this same session, try the image in black and white. not sure what is bothering me about 6, I think the baby's head is too big, perhaps some lens distortion? seven is a nice character study, but i don't think it will fly for cert, there are too many distractions in the image. 8 is great for the couple, it has a nice mood, but again I don't think it is appropriate for cert. 11 could work with some retouching. I absolutely LOVE 12. 13 looks like there is no detail in her hair on camera right. 16: I don't know, maybe someone else should critique this one, it's just not doing anything for me and I'm not sure why. Yep, veil is distracting on 17. 18 looks like a fun shapshot, 19 has some wayward shadows on faces, but 20 and 21 look great. Can't comment on 22 because I don't know what that is, and 23 is lovely, but the white towel is distracting. If you could do something with that... And 24 works for me, although the judges might not like the hand of the boy on camera right.

I hope this helps.

Alan is right about 9: the white blouse with the black background kills it.

Erin_L._Clark
07-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Good luck Georgeann- I'm gathering mine for the next submission as well. :0)

GeorgeannChambers
07-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Anne and Erin,
Thanks for the good wishes and I send them right back to you as well! I wish you all the best in your process.

GeorgeannChambers
07-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Karen and Alan,
Thank you for your input - I will go back and revisit these images and see what I can do differently.
Thank you all for your help.

Dave_Cisco
07-14-2008, 06:55 PM
You have several images with structural verticals in them that are tilted...doorways, glasses, etc.. They need fixin'.:)

GeorgeannChambers
07-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Thanks Everyone for your input.
I have made some changes and have uploaded some new images as well as reworked some of the original choices. the link has changed so here is the new link. and thanks again for your help.

http://www.chamberstudio.com/cpp/index.htm

D._Craig_Flory
07-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi Georgeann;

Here are my thoughts on your images.
#1 Flat lit / ? to use
#2 No
#3 Broad lit / ?
#4 Too light / distracting bkgrd. / his jacket bunched up / his eyes almost
closed.
#5 Yes ! Take out the magazine in the upper right
#6 No ... out of key / messy hair
#7 Distracting white strip
#8 Ok
#9 Ok
#10 No ... brides eyes closed
#11 No ... can't see reason for image ... the ring
#12 Too much space between them / Bare arms on her / No light in her eye
#13 Ok ... tone down face
#14 Flat lit and distracting background
#15 Flat lit / bad shadow on nose
#16 Ok ... but don't like "amputated" hand.
#17 No ... uneven light in eyes
#18 Ok ... but the light is harsh
#19 Ok ... fun image
#20 ? / Lighting is iffy / I don't like the "bananas" on the shoulders.
#21 No .... bad clothing
#22 No ... "
#23 Ok ... needs more contrast and saturation
#24 Ok
#25 No
#26 Yes ... It's different and I like it.

I hope this helps

Angela_Lawson
07-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Georgeann.

I just received my CPP last time around, after having not passed the first time either. But I had alot of help and input from the people here on the forum, and so I'd like to pass along a little of what I gained. Several people took the time to go over each image with me, and so I'll try to help with each of yours, though others may be better qualified. (And hopefully will speak up if they think I'm wrong) ;) And I'll comment on what hits me first about the images, not necessarily everything.

First off - Before I go image by image, there are multiple images that it looks like you edited post production with new backdrops. Most of the images themselves seem to be okay, but I can see the separation of layers between the person(s) and the backdrop. I'm not sure, but I'd guess that would count against you, as the judges want to know that we are able to perform any photoshop skills equally as well, if that is how we present them.

Anyway, here goes...

#1 - Do you have any more of the image on the left where his foot is cropped off? Also, I might try to open his one eye a little more.

#2 - Not sure what it is? I had an image that several people commented on, that they didn't know what it was, and even though it looks nice, if the judges don't know what it is, they can't really judge it.

#3 - Post production issue - hopefully someone else will comment on how to fix it (I don't do much "green screen" work.

#4 - I'll leave for someone else to comment - just not sure if it will pass for Cert.

#5 - Don't think this will pass.

#6 - Did the young lady have a malformed hand? If so, I would have had her put her hand up into her hair. As it is right now, I think it competes with her face for attention, because it does look distorted. Also, the front hand needed to be a little more relaxed - next time have the girl spread her fingers just slightly to give it a more relaxed feel, as the image was trying to convey.

#7 - Nice album image, but not sure it will pass for CPP. I was told that for things other than the rings, bouquet, etc. at a wedding or event, that it really needs to have impact.

#8 - I like it.

#9 - I like it, but you need to do one of two things. If you have all the wording on the bottom of the original file, put it back in. Otherwise, I think you should crop it all out and just have the top of the wall showing. Also, you really need to level your picture based on the wall, so you have a straight line thru the image. If you have the top of the bull's head, I'd put that back too, but if not, I'd still submit it if you correct the things I mentioned.

#10 - Don't think this would pass.

#11 - Don't think this would pass.

#12 - Not sure about this one, I see things that could be corrected, but it would have been a good client image anyway. Hopefully someone else will comment.

#13 - I really like this one - I think it's my favorite.

#14 - Post production issue, and I'm not sure that's a good choice of backdrop for the image anyway. Also, on this one, do you have any more of the image to pull her back more. She feels too close to me.

#15 - I don't care for the split of warm and cool tones - maybe someone else will comment.

#16 & #17 - Nice client images, but I see the post production issue.

#18 - I love the idea of this image, but the shadows are still too harsh, and the clothing throws the image out of wack. Like colors should have been posed together, instead of weaved in and out. Blues with blues, green with green, etc. I really do love the idea with the tractors in the field though.

#19 - Not sure - maybe someone else will comment.

#20 - Lighting, backdrop, and crop are an issue.

#21 - Improvement over #20

#22 - Desperately needed a clothing consult, and post production issues. Backdrop color doesn't help. Don't think this will pass.

#23 - Post production and crop issues. (Boy on left should be casting a small shadow onto the backdrop).

#24 - This image might work if you crop tight to just their faces. Otherwise her neck looks odd, and her dress looks too tight.

#25 - Not sure, it may just be my eyes today, but where the focus should be on the image, seems slightly out of focus.

#26 - I really like the idea of this image, but her eyes need to be brighter, and maybe add a touch of catchlights into her eyes.

Hopefully I've help give you some input into how to fix some of you images to make them stronger. And again, on the images that just have post production issues, maybe someone else will comment on whether I was just being too picky. I'm sure they were great client images, as most of your images were. I learned the hard way that just because our clients like our work, doesn't always mean we are doing it right.:( And please feel free to ask any other questions you might have. If I can't help, there are always lots around here that will.

Angela

GeorgeannChambers
07-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks Angela and Craig D.
My web issues have been many today and I have just had to reload the service and the images are now out of order. ARGH!!! For those trying to follow the thread, I apologize. I will have the images back up shortly, just not in the same sequence. :(

Rodney_Ninow
07-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Georgann, what are you using to create the web gallery? You should be able to put them in the same order with most software. If it puts them in order of file name, try re-naming them, starting with 001, 002, on up to 021.

Photoshop, I think starting with CS1 has a web gallery maker.

GeorgeannChambers
07-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Georgann, what are you using to create the web gallery? You should be able to put them in the same order with most software. If it puts them in order of file name, try re-naming them, starting with 001, 002, on up to 021.

Photoshop, I think starting with CS1 has a web gallery maker.

Well, duh, my brain has just been fried! -thank you! I have been using Photoshop and it has been moving the photos around - only because I haven't had 00 in front of my numbers - boy do I feel stupid.:o

Rodney_Ninow
07-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Most people don't get it at first, and they number them 1, 2, 3... 10, 12, but that throws off the order. I learned by making the same error a long time ago.

GeorgeannChambers
07-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Most people don't get it at first, and they number them 1, 2, 3... 10, 12, but that throws off the order. I learned by making the same error a long time ago.

I used to be a tech geek - you'd think I would have remembered that little tidbit! Thank you for the heads up. the files are being uploaded as I type.:D