PDA

View Full Version : I'm ready to enter the process of certification

lynette_bradshaw
07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to take the test in October...do my application this month and have images in by the October deadline...does anyone have sample questions for the test...i looked at the ones on line but there are only a few

my real question is for the image submission it says the images have to be client ready...without noticeable retouching....help me please does this mean that we only do pre retouching or full retouching that doesn't look like it was retouched??

the other question is i do studio, but my studio is not always busy....but i do more sports, basketball, soccer than studio...for basketball we do blended collages...would that be something that i would send in as a print????

im so nervous about the image submission.....ive entered print competition but never won so i dont know if my images are good enough to pass the test

Heather_L._Smith
07-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Lynette - the best option is to go through all of your work and select the images you think are the best, then post them here (or a link to them hosted elsewhere) and get feedback that way. On your collages, each image within the collage will be looked at, so if you have 6 images in a collage and 3 of them aren't up to snuff, then the collage won't be either. Collages can be used, but you set yourself up for more critique that way - I'd recommend sticking with individual images (unless the collages are absolutely superb and beyond awesome).

You should submit images as you would present them to a client. If you retouch, then they should be retouched as you would for a client. The best retouching looks natural and doesn't look plastic-y or forced or unnatural - that's what they mean by "without noticeable retouching." If you take a 70 year old woman and make her look 30 by removing all of her wrinkles, well, then that would be "noticeable retouching."

If you don't already have it, I would highly recommend the book "Photography" by Barbara London as a starting place to prep for the written exam. There is an online study guide to go along with the book that has sample questions for each of the chapters. It's very thorough and will help you figure out what you need to focus on. Additionally, Mark Levesque did a study guide for us here on the forum that has practice questions on each of the chapters. Look under the Certified Photographer threads and you'll see the study question posts.

lynette_bradshaw
07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi heather,

i have the book already but where can i find the sample questions with the book...i will take a look for mark's lessons.....is the test really hard

Heather_L._Smith
07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
is the test really hard

Haha... well, I guess that's a relative question! If you know what you're doing, have been doing client work for a while, and have a good handle on the technical aspects of our profession, then no, the test shouldn't be hard. If you don't have a good handle on those things, including "what would you do in this situation" type of questions, then yes, the test will be hard. You need to understand the theory behind light, how it works, how you manipulate it, how it works mathmatically, how colors work together (or don't), what equipment works best in certain situations, and generally have a good, solid understanding of how to handle your subjects, your equipment, and your light in a multitude of situations.

For your study guide, if you google "photography barbara london companion site" you should be able to find it.

D._Craig_Flory
07-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi Lynette;

The Exam is hard for some and easy for others. When I took it, in 1986, I didn't study at all and passed just on what I knew. I have given the exam to a Kodak rep and a Fuji rep over the years. The Kodak rep got a score around 92% and the Fuji rep had something like the 5th highest score in the country. I think both took it just to see how they would do on what they knew.

As for images ... I also suggest posting them here for comments and suggestions.

lynette_bradshaw
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
i guess i had better get to work...this is a huge step for me...sometimes i give up on things before i get started good.....i expect to see this through..

thanks for your help guys

Debra_Collins
07-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm hoping to take it in August but so far the studying hasn't gone very well. I need a study group.

lynette_bradshaw
07-09-2008, 10:02 PM
so do i ...im going to ask our local guild tuesday if anyone is willing to have one

Debra_Collins
07-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Thats a good idea. I am 3 hours away from any guild so that makes things difficult.

lynette_bradshaw
07-09-2008, 10:13 PM
do the images have to have all the blemishes removed

Cindi_Delaney
07-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Here's the link to the study guide.
http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_9/
I'm taking the test in September in Salt Lake City.

lynette_bradshaw
07-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks Cindi

all the best to you on your test

Heather_L._Smith
07-10-2008, 02:39 AM
do the images have to have all the blemishes removed

How would you present the final product to a client? With or without blemishes?

GeorgeannChambers
07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Thats a good idea. I am 3 hours away from any guild so that makes things difficult.
Debra,
To help you study- along with the companion site for the book Photography by London, also do a search for Mark Lavesque here on this site and you will find additional test questions from this past spring along with discussion from others on the site who were studying to take the test at the same time.

Good Luck!

Debra_Collins
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Debra,
To help you study- along with the companion site for the book Photography by London, also do a search for Mark Lavesque here on this site and you will find additional test questions from this past spring along with discussion from others on the site who were studying to take the test at the same time.

Good Luck!

Thanks Georgeann. I went through those at the time they were posted and that is what gave me some confidence in taking the test this summer.

KirkDarling
07-10-2008, 07:00 PM
As Georgeann mentioned, do check the threads in our Certification forum--there are example questions and plenty of in-depth discussion of questions and concepts that many people find confusing.

Also, keep abreast of the changes we're making in the Certification to allow better critiques of proposed certification images. We're devising a means for double-blind critiques online. We wouldn't want a certification judge who'd critiqued an image online here to know the identity of the photographer if he sees the same image later during the certification review.

Finally, the issue of retouching intends to distinguish between images prepared for clients and those prepared for PPA competitions. The images should be client-ready--not competition-ready. Prepare them to the extent you'd actually prepare them for clients. Obviously that leaves them open to criticism of such things as the appropriate level of retouching for clients, but that's the whole point: Determining whether your level of craft is acceptable for clients.

lynette_bradshaw
07-11-2008, 05:02 AM
thanks everyone for your help and support