PDA

View Full Version : CPP Exam turnaround

Mark_Levesque
07-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Rather than hijack Anne's string, I thought I'd bring this up in its own thread.

Anne just took the CPP test 10 days ago and has her results in hand. She lives on the west coast, if I am not mistaken. So she took the test on a Sunday, had the test (mailed?) to Atlanta, and had her results mailed and back to her across the country in 9 days. That's awesome, and "how it should be" IMO.

Why it is that people who take the test in NH have to wait upwards of 3 weeks? Two years in a row, that I know of. I am thrilled that Anne got her results so quickly, but I would like to understand why the turnaround times vary so much so if there is something we can do differently in NH to expedite the process that we do it. Waiting on pins and needles for the results for longer than necessary is no fun.

I am pretty sure that the mail time up and down the east coast is no longer than that across the country. Is it a matter that only certain people correct the exams and it's totally hit or miss as to when they get around to correcting them? Is it like one person that takes a week or two off at the end of April/beginning of May every year? I am trying to understand if there's a systemic issue which can be addressed or if it's a flip of the coin that dictates the delay. I am told by our liaison that the exams are being mailed promptly, so it is hard to understand the disparity. If there's something else we should be doing, I'd like to know what that is. And if there's something that could be done on the exam recipient end, that would be good to know as well.

D._Craig_Flory
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi Mark;

I give the exam at our (4) state meetings. At the two day meetings,(Sunday & Monday) I usually get the exams in the FedEx box in my town by Tuesday or Wednesday. For our three day convention, coming in October, (Sunday, Monday & Tuesday) I should get them in the FedEx box by Wednesday also.

The exams are sent to liaisons and back to PPA via FedEx and not the mail. One factor in how quick results go out is how fast they can be graded.

Michael_Gan
07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Is Don your liason? I would as him when he his dropping the completed exams into Fedex. Proctors are instructed to send the tests back within 7 days. If the proctor sends it in, say 3 days, plus 10 days to process the exam, then you have 2 weeks. So, you are looking at 2-2.5 weeks plus the mailed notification which brings it out to close to 3 weeks.

Angela_Lawson
07-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Just a thought, but is there any reason why the written exam results can't be emailed just like the image submission results are? Since the only thing on the sheet of paper is the score you received, wouldn't it save quite alot of money and time to email vs. snail mail? Just curious.

Angela

Mark_Levesque
07-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Well, this year, after 3 weeks some of the test takers called and they had not been graded yet. Don did say he sent them back promptly after the conference, I think the Wednesday after. It was three weeks after THAT that they started calling.

I am not trying to throw stones here. I think it's an area where some improvements could be made to at least make the turnaround more predictable, and hopefully closer to Anne's experience. I am really just trying to find out why things are as they are and if we can make changes to improve the timeliness of response without incurring additional costs. Is there a metric for exam turnaround? By which I mean whomever it is that is supposed to be doing the grading and recording, is there a metric for how long we can expect it to take them?

Michael_Gan
07-02-2008, 07:25 PM
This might be just a matter of timing for your group of test takers. I know that there was a "bump" in the notifications because David Milthofer left, and Marisa was left holding the bag. I would see how the response rate will go the next time Don proctors the exam.

Is it just me, or does "Proctor" seem a bit vile? :D

D._Craig_Flory
07-02-2008, 08:50 PM
This might be just a matter of timing for your group of test takers. I know that there was a "bump" in the notifications because David Milthofer left, and Marisa was left holding the bag. I would see how the response rate will go the next time Don proctors the exam.

Is it just me, or does "Proctor" seem a bit vile? :D

Hi Michael;

It does sound something like proctologist. :o :D

Mark_Levesque
07-03-2008, 02:32 AM
That's real interesting input, Michael. I would be heartened if it were an anomaly that the notification was so lengthy this year. Last year's lengthy wait may well be my own fault for not riding Don to get it sent in right away, but this year the test takers made a point of urging him to be timely and since he said he submitted them promptly the delay (which I know was excruciating for the test takers) was surprising. It could well be that this is already solved, which would be great.