PDA

View Full Version : Pizza in Phoenix

Stacey_West
06-19-2008, 01:41 AM
According to this article the best pizza in the US (and perhaps anywhere) may very well be in Phoenix.

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/sliceamerica/8380/the-best-pizza-in-the-u-s

I think I hear it calling my name...

Mark_Levesque
06-19-2008, 02:05 AM
I'll be the judge of that!

George_Hawkins
06-19-2008, 03:27 AM
I am on the way, early. Plan an excursion to Grand Canyon!

Jack_Reznicki
06-19-2008, 03:40 AM
Plan to wait a while for a table. They line up early. I got to shoot there for a story I did on pizzas for one of the airline magazines. Here's the shot from Pizzeria Bianco. It was great! But no takeout. Just long waits...worth it. As you can see, it's a wood oven.

But I'll argue for some of our NY pizzas. Like Totonnos in Coney Island. And Lombardi's on Spring St., the first Pizzeria in the US.

Anne_LeBouton
06-19-2008, 03:55 AM
How do they keep the ashes out of the pizza?

Looks good but I'd have to do a taste test to see if it lives up to the hype. I'm partial to our local pizza place but I grew up near Chicago. The area I live in didn't make the thick crust kind Chicago is known for. They made them with a very thin, crisp crust, which is how our local place in Wisconsin makes them.

Mark_Levesque
06-19-2008, 04:45 AM
But I'll argue for some of our NY pizzas. Like Totonnos in Coney Island. And Lombardi's on Spring St., the first Pizzeria in the US.
I still have vivid memories of a pizza at Ray's in the village, about 20 years ago. Great stuff.

They made them with a very thin, crisp crust, which is how our local place in Wisconsin makes them.
Also known as real pizza. ;) If you've never had brick oven pizza, you owe it to yourself to try it. Great stuff. And no issue with ashes.

Will_Price
06-19-2008, 05:42 AM
Jack "Totonnos in Coney Island"

My stepdad grew up there and talks often of this place.

Cheri_MacCallum
06-19-2008, 05:47 AM
There's a place in MN called Punch. The are vpn certified as neapolitan pizza makers. Vpn stands for Verace Pizza Napoletana. It's the best pizza I've ever had and in MN no less.

D._Craig_Flory
06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
The best I've ever had was in a Shaky's Pizza Parlor in Northern California. (San Rafael I think) That was in the late 60's.

Anne_LeBouton
06-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Also known as real pizza. ;) If you've never had brick oven pizza, you owe it to yourself to try it. Great stuff. And no issue with ashes.

Our local place does have an oven with bricks in it but I think it might be gas fired instead of wood. Now I'm really hungry for some pizza! :(

Mark_Levesque
06-19-2008, 07:51 PM
We had pizza for lunch. :) A place called Flatbreads, which does cook their pizza in a wood fired oven. Very good new age pizza.

Anne_LeBouton
06-19-2008, 07:57 PM
What on a new age pizza?

My favorite is a Florentine: spinach, black olives, tomatoes, red onions, and mushrooms.

Mark_Levesque
06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Everything at Flatbreads is organic, free range, etc. This pizza was the "homemade sausage" which features crumbles of italian sausage, caramelized onions, fresh mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, herbs, and mozzarella. We added some red sauce, because we are just that way. It's kind of a granola type of place- looks like a place you'd find in Vermont or Oregon (napkins made of unbleached paper, probably with recycled content, grudgingly given, etc) But the pizza is good and the organic IPA is hoppy, so life is good. :)

Anne_LeBouton
06-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Sounds like my kind of place! :D

D._Craig_Flory
06-19-2008, 08:30 PM
For me, a great pizza has to have lots of cheese and a whole lot of
pepperoni !

Joe_Galioto
06-19-2008, 11:18 PM
you guys know nuttin bout pizza.
come to nj and will do the saprano tour.

bada bing joe

Linda_Gregory
06-19-2008, 11:21 PM
that's not pizza! It's like comparing a taco from Taco Bell with an authentic one.

What makes a pizza great in my opinion is the company I'm eating it in and last January in Tampa was some of the best!

Otherwise, my vote would have to go to La Donna's pizza in Prague, address, the corner of Veleslavinova and Valentinska. Say THAT three times, fast OR slow! ah....but the food....

Howard_Barlow
06-19-2008, 11:25 PM
If'n ya don't eat pizza in Italy, ya don't know what pizza is. I'm just sayin'.

Jack_Reznicki
06-20-2008, 02:51 AM

Been there. Ate that. Loved it most, but not all the time.
But the ones I mentioned in the US, in NY, Phoenix, etc. are better, IMO.

Steve_Wynn
06-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Some of the best I have eaten are in Chicago and St. Louis where I had a whole wheat crust pizza that I can still remember the wonderful taste and that was in 1971 or 72 !

One of the strangest I had was in Olean, NY where I had hippopotamus meat on a pizza.

Steve

Howard_Barlow
06-20-2008, 03:44 AM

Hmmm... Well, then, looks like I may just have to find a way to try them.

David_Piet
06-20-2008, 03:47 AM
I am on the way, early. Plan an excursion to Grand Canyon!

Does this include an overnight hike to the bottom? :cool:

Norine_Piet
06-20-2008, 04:15 AM
Plan to wait a while for a table. They line up early. I got to shoot there for a story I did on pizzas for one of the airline magazines. Here's the shot from Pizzeria Bianco. It was great! But no takeout. Just long waits...worth it. As you can see, it's a wood oven.

The pizza looks yummy Mark, but my favorite pizza memory is from 40 years ago. It was in Little Rock, AR at, of all things, a Pizza Hut. It was thin crust, and so good. Pizza Hut has never been so good since.

Joe_Galioto
06-20-2008, 04:18 AM
norine,
pizza hut, you must have been on drugs!
joe

Norine_Piet
06-20-2008, 04:20 AM
norine,
pizza hut, you must have been on drugs!
joe

Joe, remember...Little Rock....40 years ago. Hmmm, drugs...nope, never did that. Could it have been a year that Coke was really Coke?

Joe_Galioto
06-20-2008, 04:25 AM
ah, good times!
joe

Howard_Barlow
06-20-2008, 04:26 AM
The pizza looks yummy Mark, but my favorite pizza memory is from 40 years ago. It was in Little Rock, AR at, of all things, a Pizza Hut. It was thin crust, and so good. Pizza Hut has never been so good since.

Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut? 7192I've lost the will to live.

David_Piet
06-20-2008, 04:31 AM

She likes those $3.99 all you can eat pizza buffets too. Go figure! :confused:

Norine_Piet
06-20-2008, 04:32 AM

Sorry Howard. What can I tell you. It was my first pizza. It's like your first love...now they have bowed legs, a pot belly and no hair, but in the day...hey they were great.

Norine_Piet
06-20-2008, 04:33 AM
She likes those $3.99 all you can eat pizza buffets too. Go figure! :confused:

Hey, that's not me....that's you!!!! Now I like that pizza that Mike posted the picture of.

Howard_Barlow
06-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Sorry Howard. What can I tell you. It was my first pizza. It's like your first love...now they have bowed legs, a pot belly and no hair, but in the day...hey they were great.

I was your first love???

Norine_Piet
06-20-2008, 04:50 AM
I was your first love???

Wow, Howard!! It was you!!! :)

Howard_Barlow
06-20-2008, 04:56 AM
Wow, Howard!! It was you!!! :)

I'm pretty sure it was. Did you go by Brenda, back then? If so, that was me.

David_Piet
06-20-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm pretty sure it was. Did you go by Brenda, back then? If so, that was me.

do you want her back? :D

Norine_Piet
06-20-2008, 05:01 AM

I think I need to change my name again!! :)

Howard_Barlow
06-20-2008, 05:10 AM

Uh...well... let's see... uh... how do I... uh... well... I have one... I don't want to sound... I mean... Oh, my goodness... look at the time... I have to run take out the dog and bring in the trash... I'll get back to you... 7194

Norine_Piet
06-20-2008, 05:14 AM
I think it's time to close this machine. Howard is running away, David is trying to give me away. I think I should go retire....yes, that's what I should do.

Rick_Massarini
06-20-2008, 07:06 AM
So let's get back on the subject again... are we going to get the OurPPA.com crew together for Pizza in Phoenix??? If so, when and where??? Hopefully not at Pizza Hut (I AM a dago and have certain standards to maintain - yeah, I know that they're low - that's why I have to maintain them or else I won't have any at all !!!)

Mark_Levesque
06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, I am up for evaluating various places. :D Surely we can get together once or twice. :)

Linda_Gregory
06-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Pizza tour! Got my fork ready. (fork?)

Norine_Piet
06-20-2008, 02:39 PM
:( I don't think I will be able to attend since I had such a lowly pizza initiation. Come to think of it, I believe Pizza Hut was where I got my second ever slice of pizza. Would you believe my first taste of pizza was at a drive-in theater in...SCOTTSDALE, AZ!!

Maybe I can go on the tour after all!

D._Craig_Flory
06-20-2008, 03:03 PM
So let's get back on the subject again... are we going to get the OurPPA.com crew together for Pizza in Phoenix??? If so, when and where??? Hopefully not at Pizza Hut (I AM a dago and have certain standards to maintain - yeah, I know that they're low - that's why I have to maintain them or else I won't have any at all !!!)

Hi Rick;

At church on Sunday morning I'm going to ask one of our members, whose last name is Rossetti, what pizza he thinks is best. Does a Protestant Italian's opinion count, I wonder ? He makes the chili for our annual bazaar and I don't touch his hot chili. His mild chili sets my mouth on fire.

I do like oven self rising frozen pizzas like Tombstone or Red Baron, BTW. :eek: :D

Howard_Barlow
06-20-2008, 03:18 PM
I do like oven self rising frozen pizzas like Tombstone or Red Baron, BTW. :eek: :D

That's just wrong.

David_Piet
06-20-2008, 03:21 PM
I vote for the place that started this thread. Perhaps a dissenting group headed up by Norine and D Craig can find a nearby Pizza Hut, Pizza Shoppe, or Dominos.:rolleyes:

Cindi_Delaney
06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm up for pizza in Phoenix.
Here at home I'm particularly fond of a place called Bella Pizza. Best sauce I've ever tasted.
Odd thing though--the family that owns it is Mexican. Hmmmm......
So we now have an Italian making chili and a Mexican making great pizza.
Just what kind of world is this? ;)

Mark_Levesque
06-20-2008, 06:20 PM
That's just wrong.
Wrong, or confusing? I thought we were talking about pizza, and the DCF comes along with a tangent...

Michael_Gan
06-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Gotta go with Howard on this one. Leslie used to live in the Napoli region of Italia and she brought back the wood fired methods of pizza making. Margharite all the way.

Oh, and watch out if you decide to speak Italian to her, she has a Napolitano dialect ;)

For the fun of eating pizza, my college roomies and me (4 of us) went to Rico's in Sacramento and somehow, the 4 of us ate a 25" Pizza (barely made it). They also had a 36" pizza that took up the whole table. Wasn't bad either.

Howard_Barlow
06-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Wrong, or confusing? I thought we were talking about pizza, and the DCF comes along with a tangent...

Wrong. Using the words 'Tombstone' and 'Red Baron' in the same sentence as 'pizza', that's just wrong. Well, I guess it would work if you said, "The Red Baron was sitting on a tombstone, eating pizza." That would work.

Rick_Massarini
06-22-2008, 06:32 AM

Hey, I know that my standards are low, but that's even below what I would consider acceptable...

Anne_LeBouton
06-22-2008, 02:47 PM
This thread forced me to have pizza for dinner Friday. I was powerless to resist.

D._Craig_Flory
06-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey, I know that my standards are low, but that's even below what I would consider acceptable...

Hi Rick;

Since you are down in Louisiana ... is your favorite piizza topping crawfish ? :D

paulrogers
06-24-2008, 05:10 AM
C H I C A G O D E E P D I S H

However Domino's gave us a great lesson in USP marketing;
"30 minutes or less guaranteed!"

Notice there was no mention of how good (or bad) it was going to taste.

Mark_Levesque
06-24-2008, 12:32 PM
We were talking about pizza, Paul. ;)

George_Hawkins
06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Now that we've heard Phoenix Pizza stories, can we hear about other activities in/around Phoenix?
Anyone suggest an excursion a few days early or after Imaging? Day trips or multiple days out?
To where? Sedona? Northern AZ, as in Grand Canyon, etc.?
Rental car for one, or several together?
Any reason to fly in/out Las Vegas/Phoenix, and drive the difference with camera and flexibility? Once, I looked at one-way rental cars and found they charge a large difference vs. p/u car & return same place.

Who has the "facts"?

George

Jack_Reznicki
06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Now that we've heard Phoenix Pizza stories, can we hear about other activities in/around Phoenix?

George,

Can you please start that as a new thread. Otherwise a lot of people might miss the discussion if it's in this title.

Thanks.

Howard_Barlow
06-24-2008, 03:37 PM
We were talking about pizza, Paul. ;)

Pizza, Paul, and Mary?

Rick_Massarini
06-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi Rick;

Since you are down in Louisiana ... is your favorite piizza topping crawfish ? :D

I've lived here all of my life, and eaten MORE than my share of Pizza, but I've never heard of anyone putting crawfish on a Pizza. But I have to admit, it is an interesting possibility ... (I can sense my ancient Italian ancestors turning over in their graves right about now)... But hey, if it tastes good - what the heck !!!

I'd just hate to get my first taste of Crawfish Pizza down in Phoenix, of all places (heck, I may even have to bring in the crawfish myself!!!)

Rick_Massarini
06-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Hey guys, we still need to set up a place and time for us to get together in Phonenix .... or else we'll just rant on about Pizza (a very interesting - and one of my favorite - subjects) but we still won't get together in Phoenix...
But then again, maybe Pizza is a really valid thread subject - one that I like, anyway... since it is one of the major food groups...

Hey - and here comes a (dumb) side track (sorry) - is there anything planned for side trips in Phoenix to say - the Grand Canyon? If anyone has any info on this question - please give a short answer and reference another thread...
Thanks...

PhotogCraig
06-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Having lived in 6 major cities in Italy back in the 70s, I can tell you that at least then, there was no other way to cook a pizza then in a brick oven.

There was no pizza location that was anything different.

That said the oven and the wood do help make the pizza, but there are good places and some that are not as good even in Italy.

The sauce, there is a main difference, also the cheese they pick because there are different types, and qualities of the same cheese that can really make a difference.

But if you eat pizza in Italy, you have to use a fork.

Erin_L._Clark
07-13-2008, 01:25 PM
\

But if you eat pizza in Italy, you have to use a fork.

I live in Italy- and use my hands! But you have to slice it yourself. My favorite is Pizza Norma (with eggplant) while hubbie's is the one with eggs on top- and then there's the favorite of so many- pizza with french fries on top- I have yet to try it.:cool:

Rick_Massarini
08-18-2008, 12:10 AM
So - now that we've discussed Pizza around the world - when and where are we getting together in Phoenix???

Rob_Kemp
08-20-2008, 04:05 AM
yeah... cause I am hungry

PhotogCraig
08-20-2008, 04:39 AM
I live in Italy- and use my hands! But you have to slice it yourself. My favorite is Pizza Norma (with eggplant) while hubbie's is the one with eggs on top- and then there's the favorite of so many- pizza with french fries on top- I have yet to try it.:cool:

I lived there 37 years ago, and back then, you didn't eat with your hands. And you didn't east while walking down the street, like they do here in America.

You didn't wear a tie, without a blazer or suit coat back then also.

I bet both of those things have changed now days.

Erin_L._Clark
08-20-2008, 08:10 AM
I lived there 37 years ago, and back then, you didn't eat with your hands. And you didn't east while walking down the street, like they do here in America.

You didn't wear a tie, without a blazer or suit coat back then also.

I bet both of those things have changed now days.

They don't come pre-sliced that's for sure- Don't normally see a person walking down the street with a slice of pizza here still- and anyone over 60 seems to always have a hat, coat and tie on- love chatting with them. :)

Rick_Massarini
11-01-2008, 12:16 AM
This thread has been dormant for too long - we talked about getting the OurPPA forum members together in PHX, but never finallized any plans - so how about it, when are we getting together and where ???????????????

Michael_Gan
11-01-2008, 01:11 AM
There's a get together party here: http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/showthread.php?t=13200

Rick_Massarini
11-01-2008, 04:50 AM
OK - I've got that one on my schedule for Sunday night now. Monday is the ASP Banquet, Tuesday is the Awards Ceremony. That still leaves Saturday night and a few lunch times open - maybe we could put together another informal lunchtime get-together in case some forum members miss the Sunday Millers sponsored gig. Last year, you guys got together on Saturday evening - I had to miss that one since I was still working on finishing up hanging the print exhibit. How about a lunch maybe ???

Marc_Benjamin
11-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Reminds me, we need to set up the after after party committee.

Rick_Massarini
11-02-2008, 05:56 AM
...maybe we could combine the after after party with Heather's cover party and have an after after cover party or something like that...

Heather_L._Smith
11-03-2008, 03:39 PM
...maybe we could combine the after after party with Heather's cover party and have an after after cover party or something like that...

Woohoo!!!

Didn't we do an impromptu lunch thing last year?

Erin_L._Clark
12-03-2008, 12:28 AM
I like Rick's idea! :cool:

Jack_Reznicki
12-03-2008, 03:00 AM
Might be easy to make plans at the Sunday get together while we're there. And then post it here.

Marc_Benjamin
12-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Might be easy to make plans at the Sunday get together while we're there. And then post it here.

Yes, definitely by then we'll know what's Jack's suite number is where the after after party will be at.

I'm bringing in the disco-mirror ball!

Rick_Massarini
12-03-2008, 06:28 AM
Yes, definitely by then we'll know what's Jack's suite number is where the after after party will be at.

I'm bringing in the disco-mirror ball!

Hey, I like Marc's idea better than mine !!!

Erin_L._Clark
12-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I'll bring the fog machine :D

Keith_A_Howe
12-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Who is bringing the crock pot and those little weinies with barbeque sauce?

Keith

Angela_Lawson
12-03-2008, 06:55 PM

Keith

Wish I was coming :( - I'm an expert at those!!! :D;)

Cassandra_Sullivan
12-03-2008, 09:21 PM

Keith

Only if it will fit in my camera bag. :D

Heather_L._Smith
12-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Keith

I wonder what Security would do if I brought that with me as a carry-on?

Rick_Massarini
12-03-2008, 09:50 PM
They would probably confiscate the pot (crock pot, that is) and eat the weenies...

Keith_A_Howe
12-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Well I would be willing to try and bring them but at a limit of 3 ounces per bottle in my carry-on, just how many tiny bottles of sauce would I have to bring??????

Keith

George_Hawkins
12-05-2008, 02:56 AM
One could ship it UPS, FedEx ground, or whatever to one's hotel.