PDA

View Full Version : Competition Gurus...what do you think?

Mark_McCall
06-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Title> "Wingman"

Jeff_Dachowski
06-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Mark,
Not a guru, but I think the lead planes wings could be titlted a bit more to the right to icrease the drama in the image.

On a different note, I was in Bloomington IL, and I found 4 figther planes right on the side of the road at an aviation museum, and thought of you. If you ever get to Peoria or Bloomington, I have a spot for you!
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
06-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Mark
This is way too small a file to say anything for sure on. I just can't tell if what I am seeing is a highlight line, oversharpening line or an extraction line. So I will tell you my thoughts and concerns and you will have to tell us. I feel like there is a line around the second plane. I also see a dark area (burn) above the second plane's center. I feel like there is a glow above the 2 dark stripes on the wings of the second plane as well. Part of me wants to think that this could be the same plane because of the prop pattern, is there a way you could rotate the prop on one plane a bit more? If this is a composit image I would agree with Jeff, give the lead plane more of a tilt. Diagonals add motion to an image and it would give the feeling of a chase or dog fight practice (after all they are the same kind of plane so I would assume they are on the same side). Lastly is the density dark enough??
Like I said it is hard to tell on this low res file. Good Luck
Keith

Mark_McCall
06-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Jeff,
YOU DA MAN!!
I went to that flight museum you told me about while I was in New England. Got shot great shots of some rare birds. I don't remember the town, but I remember the fun I had. Had a great time up there!
(My rental car had a GPS in it. I bought one when I got home).
Thanks for the tour studio as well. It's not every day that Kevin Kubota stops by to check out your place!

Keith,
Yes it is a composite image. Everything is on it's own layer.
I tried uploading the file twice.
Once at 600 pixels on the long side, and 1800 pixels on the long side.
They both posted in this small form. Know of a way to get it to post larger?
...maybe just link it to a larger version on a website?

Yes, it is the same plane shot from two angles.
I added the prop in two different orientations, but may not have rotated it enough on the 2nd plane.

I added about 12% density for competition, but the competition it's going to is non-affiliated, so I have time to redo it with you guy's suggestions of rotating the lead plane for SWPPA.
I need to post all my stuff here for competition critique!

D._Craig_Flory
06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
They both posted in this small form. Know of a way to get it to post larger?
...maybe just link it to a larger version on a website?

[/QUOTE]

Hi Mark;

I normally post 8" X 6.4" .jpgs, that I save on Photobucket. Here is your image simply saved as a .gif on my computer ... after I made it a 10X8. As you can see, as a .gif it is very small. But by hosting on a place like Photobucket it will appear full size. Note the large © symbol. If you use Photobucket, make sure you plaster © and ypur name on top.

Mark_McCall
06-19-2008, 03:33 AM
I can't get the URL upload to work, so I'm just posting a directly link:

http://www.swppa.com/uploads/wingmanweb800.jpg

Carver_Shivers
06-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Hi Mark, Love your concept. feel you need to add vortices to the planes to add motion to it... they look like they are hanging in the air... Otherwise, I like it a lot...

Noelle_Zaleski
06-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Mark, I am glad you explained. I was thinking you were dangerously hanging outside a plane taking these shots.

I really love your idea!!

Keith_A_Howe
06-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Mark
I believe the problems I am seeing that look like the signs of over sharpening (highlight / black line, surrounding objects) are caused by the effect used. I believe you told be it was lucis? You might try duping the layer you want to run the effect on and then eraseing the edges a bit to see if you can get the look you like but take away the problems. On the larger file I can see the black lines around the fuel tanks? under the wings (front plane). It also shows a bit over the canopy and up the tail. I am not sure that these last couple of areas could not be explained in a challange so if they don't jump out at you on the full size image I would not worry about them.
Good Luck
Keith

Mark_McCall
06-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Keith,
THANK YOU!!!

The black lines are actually artifacts from the original background the image was pulled from.
After I read this post, I went back and looked at it again and saw it clearly.

Lucis doesn't create the look your describing, but it DID create the glowing effect over the tops of the wings. (fixed that in the latest version).

Noelle, thanks for worrying about me!!
I was safe in my own backyard.
Here's the original>>

Noelle_Zaleski
06-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Keith,
THANK YOU!!!

The black lines are actually artifacts from the original background the image was pulled from.
After I read this post, I went back and looked at it again and saw it clearly.

Lucis doesn't create the look your describing, but it DID create the glowing effect over the tops of the wings. (fixed that in the latest version).

Noelle, thanks for worrying about me!!
I was safe in my own backyard.
Here's the original>>

That is tooo funny! I could just picture you with a scarf and goggles flying around with a camera. :)

If you reshoot it you can put a solid backround behind it. I am sure you knew that though:rolleyes:

D._Craig_Flory
06-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Mark;

Did you once work for Spielberg in the movie special effects department ? WOW !!!

Rick_Massarini
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Mark,
I also thought that you had shot these out of the window of another airplane - I didn't realize that they were models. Nice work - they look real !!!
I thought that you were hooked up with an antique airplane club (like the Confederate air Force - lots of vintage Jennys, Fokkers, and Steerman (probably misspelled) in that group of aviators) ...

Mark_McCall
06-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys,

I took Jeff and Keith's advice. I tilted the foreground plane, fixed the ghosting over the wings, created by the Lucis Art effect, burned it down and vignetted very slightly.

Printed on Kodak Endura Metallic, it scored an 88 at the TPPA Summer Seminar.

I did not know these could be entered under aerials. I entered under illustrative.
Another guy entered the same type of image of a Texas trainer plane, with a dropped in sky. He scored an 85, but got the Kodak Gallery trophy over my 87. Go figure.

Jeff_Dachowski
07-02-2008, 02:37 AM
Hey Mark,
Good for you! When they choose the category, it doesn't always go to the highest score, as you know! I think it is a cool image!

Jeff