PDA

View Full Version : Prints that have been entered before

Mark_McCall
06-17-2008, 05:25 AM
Keith, you may know the answer to this.

I found a print I'd like to work up to put into my print case.
Is there a way to see if I'd entered it before?

I'm a member of NMPPA, TPPA, SWPPA and PPA. I enter each association's print competitions. I just don't remember entering this particular print, but I enter so many, I just don't remember.

My merit report on the PPA website doesn't list the names of my merit prints.

Is there a way to confirm if it's been entered before??

Linda_Gregory
06-17-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't have the answer to your specific question but would you know if it merited? It's my understanding that if it hasn't merited, you can reenter it.

Dave_Cisco
06-17-2008, 01:12 PM
If you have the physical print, it will have a seal if it merited. However, I'm guessing that would be too simple:D ...you must not have the original print.:)

Mark_McCall
06-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Hey Dave & Linda,
No, I do not have a physical print. Matter of fact, I do not think I've entered it at all outside of my own guild.

But my local print chair is convinced she saw it somewhere online and wants to take away my local guild competition points.

I want to play fair. I asked her to send me a link to where she saw the image.

If I'm wrong, I'll happily concede. I but honestly do not remember ever entering this image at any affiliated or non-affiliated level.

I was hoping you guys would know of a way to find out a way to find the names of your PPA Merit Prints. My merit report on PPA.com doesn't list the names of my prints.

Here's the image in question: (it's prepped for competition)

Keith_A_Howe
06-17-2008, 01:57 PM

I'm a member of NMPPA, TPPA, SWPPA and PPA. I enter each association's print competitions. I just don't remember entering this particular print, but I enter so many, I just don't remember.

Mark
Linda is correct, if it has not merited you can enter it as many times as you want. The only time it would be an issue is if it merited before. If you are unsure if it has merited, the best thing would be to contact Jim Dingwell PEC Coordinator, toll free 866-591-9190 or email jdingwell@ppa.com
I do know that his internet is down today so he will not be able to do any research till sometime tomarrow.
Hope this helps
Keith

Linda_Gregory
06-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Wow. Not sure about your local, but national, it could have been published anywhere as long as it hasn't merited, it can be entered.

I believe it's encouraged to use images you photograph for sales rather than just taking an image for PPA competition, the idea is to improve your WORK, not work to improve your competition images.

Keith_A_Howe
06-17-2008, 02:34 PM

Mark
Linda is correct, if it has not merited you can enter it as many times as you want. The only time it would be an issue is if it merited before. If you are unsure if it has merited, the best thing would be to contact Jim Dingwell PEC Coordinator, toll free 866-591-9190 or email jdingwell@ppa.com
I do know that his internet is down today so he will not be able to do any research till sometime tomarrow.
Hope this helps
Keith

Mark_McCall
06-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Keith,
I knew I could enter it as many times as necessary at nationals.

But at the guild level, we cannot enter something that has been entered at any level previously.
I do not believe I've entered it anywhere, but I want to confirm that with Jim. Thanks for the contact info.

Linda,
That's exactly how I feel about print competitions.
I use commentary and critique of the judges to sharpen and hone my skills.
Most of my entries are not even for clients. It's personal pleasure.

Weird...I noticed a huge difference in my scores when I stopped trying to please the judges, and entered what I enjoyed.

Dave_Cisco
06-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I might be inclined to tell the local chairperson that if she can't come up with the link where she saw your image then you would take your case to your local Board of Directors. :)

Mark_McCall
06-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Dave,
I did...and she did.

I stand corrected.

I DID enter the print at our local print competition two years ago. I recently stumbed on it, reprinted it and entered it again, forgetting I'd entered it before.....DAYUM!!!
By the way, it looked alot better the 2nd time.

The good news is, I haven't entered it in PPA, which is where I wanted to send this year. I have to make the 2nd deadline, but at least It hasn't gone to yet.

Rick_Massarini
06-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Hey Mark,
How're you doing after the skiing thing???
How long 'till you're back up and around?????
Gimme a call so we can get you rescheduled for a LA program - we all need website help !!!

Sorry about sidetracking the thread = Mark PM me!! Rick

Mark_McCall
06-18-2008, 04:24 AM
Hey Rick,
Yes, I took a bad spill at Ski Apache in Ruidoso. Hit a rock poking up through the snow, then did an end over end down the mountain.

We'd love to come to Louisiana. I haven't been there since nationals a few years ago.

I'll be in Kerrville next week, Ft. Worth in Aug., Dallas in Oct..., then I'm done with travel for the year.
When's your convention?