PDA

View Full Version : Hallmark Institute of Photography

Darrell_Bingham
02-09-2006, 03:26 AM
Hello all,

I recently heard about the Hallmark Institute of Photograpy. I wanted to know if anyone has gone to this school and found it to be beneficial. It sounds good, but we all know if it sounds too good to be true...

I was thinking about going there this fall. Does anyone have some first hand knowledge they could share? Is this school a PPA approved and merited education center?

Take a look for yourself at
http//:hallmark.edu/

Karla_Alvarez
02-09-2006, 01:19 PM
You should absolutely go to Hallmark if you are thinking of becoming a professional photographer. I went there in 1985 and graduated and LOVED it. It is the hardest thing you will ever do but the most rewarding and will give you everything you need to be successful. They have so much more than they did when I went I wish I could go back. Go...........!!!!!!!

Jack_Reznicki
02-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I give a lecture there at least once a year for many years and have taught instructors from around the country with Julianne Kost at a Digital Summer Camp, the last 2 years. One of the reasons that we teach the summer camp up there is that the facilities are some of the best in the country. Teachers, professors, administrators from other colleges and universities drop their jaws when they see the facilities, especially the digital labs. First rate.

It's in an out of the way area, which means few distractions, but it is in the "college belt" of Massachusetts. Lot of schools nearby. It's an intense 10-month program, that teaches nothing but photography and business. Nothing else.

They have also tightened up who they accept. It's not an easy breeze through school and their wash out rate is very low, because they really prescreen their students.

In short- great school.

D._Craig_Flory
02-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't know anything about Hallmark. But, an excellent school near Philly
(Philadelphia) is Antonelli School of Art And Photography. The web site is at
www.antonelli.edu . I personally know Bob Golding who is the print master for Professional Photographers of Pennsylvania as well as other competitions. I believe it's a two year school of nothing but photography. The phone number is (800) 722-7871 .

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog.,ASP, PPA C.P.P. Liaison, PPA Recon

Scott_Rogers
02-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Yes...Hallmark is fantastic. I attended and graduated among the top of the class in 1981. I have been in business since 1983 and am still going strong.
Hallmark may sound too good to be true...but it is true. Best of luck at Hallmark!

Scott Rogers

Wayne_Wallace
03-02-2007, 04:13 AM
Hi Darrell,

I graduated from Hallmark in 2005. I won the Mamiya Award of Excellence which really blew my mind. We had so many talented people which Hallmark totally created.

I find it amazing that they can take 200+ students and some knowing nothing about photography or computers and turn them into pretty amazing photographers. The work that's created year after year is mind blowing.

It will kick start your career as it has mine. I'm still using every shot from my final portfolio to market myself here in Las Vegas and getting lots of work.

If you want to speak with me personally about my experience feel free to call on me at 702.238.6161

Warmest Regards,
Wayne Wallace

David_Schneider
03-02-2007, 02:39 PM
My current assistant is a recent graduate of Hallmark. Feel free to call my studio and chat with her.

There's a part of photography that has to do with lenses and posing and lighting. And there's at least as big a part of photography that has to do with marketing, sales, running a business, dealing with babies or seniors or mothers of the bride. You won't find that offered in very many schools.

My two cents are the latter is more important than the former.

I wish I had worked for 6 months or a year for free for one or two photographers.

-David Schneider

Cassandra_Sullivan
03-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I believe that Nate Weatherly, who posts on this forum regularly, just graduated from there. Check out some of his posts on here - I think he recently posted in the Seniors section - he's an amazing photographer.

Marc_Benjamin
03-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Did Hallmark become an PPA Affiliate School?

Wayne_Wallace
03-02-2007, 08:31 PM

I was wondering about this as well and asked. Affiliate schools are week long workshop schools run by non profit orgs.

So under those rules Hallmark does not qualify.

Marc_Benjamin
03-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Time to move the thread then...

Nate_Weatherly
03-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Darrell,

I graduated from Hallmark last summer (2006). I did not win the coveted Mamiya award (Wayne Wallace is practically a Hallmark legend!) but I did graduate first in my class among portrait emphasis students. If you'd like to see what a final portrait portfolio encompasses you can see mine at www.nateweatherly.com/portfolio

Hallmark was amazing. I knew some about photography going in, but not too much. Many there knew next to nothing. But coming out everyone who graduated (with hard work) could make a living in photography. The facilities and equipment are second to none. Every student is issued a 22mp digital medium format back to use throughout the program and they have SLRs and every medium format lens you could want available to use. The instructors are awesome and I continue to talk to some of them occasionally for advice and just plain old friendship. Can't say enough good things. If you want to MAKE A LIVING in photography Hallmark is the place to be. If you want to be a starving artist look elsewhere.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to pm or email me!

nate

Jeff_Dachowski
03-04-2007, 03:35 AM
Marc,
Actually, Hallmark is merited education. I attended in 90, and the program was great. It has changed quite a bit since then, but I have heard good things about it's current program.
Jeff

Marc_Benjamin
03-04-2007, 03:43 AM
Hey Jeff,

Curious, like how many merits might one get from say a 6 unit semester? Wait hang on did you say 90? gosh I think I was in elementary school.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Marc,
I got a whopping one merit for attending a one year program. BTW you seem to be living in the past lately. Wondering about the 90's, quoting about the 80's. Live for today my man!!!!
Jeff

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey Jeff,

Curious, like how many merits might one get from say a 6 unit semester? Wait hang on did you say 90? gosh I think I was in elementary school.

Hi Marc;

Elementary school in 1990 !:p Heck, I started 1st grade in 1953 !!!:D

Jack_Reznicki
03-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Hallmark makes it's students join PPA's Student association.
Very supportive there and we appreciate it.

Jeff, if you haven't been there since '90, you wouldn't recognize it. What you knew as the school is now the admin building. Everything goes on at a state of the art facility nearby. Best digital classroom setup I've seen around. And the curriculm is vastly different, mainly because of the great instructors they hired.

They just hired me and Katrin Eisman to teach a 2 day digital class to alumni this summer.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Jack,
I drove by there one day when they were closed. I have to tell you I felt so ripped off:) You are so correct. FWIW whenever you learn you get what you put in. It did not matter to me that it was small, I learned a lot of stuff I use today. When will you be doing that alumni class?
Jeff

Jack_Reznicki
03-07-2007, 04:26 PM
When will you be doing that alumni class?
Jeff

July 21st and 22nd, with me doing a seperate one day basics class the day before on the 20th.

AliceBaker
03-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Definitely go!!! I graduated there in 1995 (can't believe it has been that long!!). I now own my own portrait studio and minilab in Upstate NY.

Albert_Steven
03-21-2007, 11:38 PM
I just take a look at their website,, and they offer 10 month program. I just curious what kind of degree they offer with 10 month program? Will it be a certificate or accredited degree? I'm looking for a photography school right now, and I start to think that they are one of the best option I got :D

Wayne_Wallace
04-02-2007, 06:49 PM
I just take a look at their website,, and they offer 10 month program. I just curious what kind of degree they offer with 10 month program? Will it be a certificate or accredited degree? I'm looking for a photography school right now, and I start to think that they are one of the best option I got :D

Hi Albert,

Yes, it's a 10 month program. You will receive a certificate not a degree. I'm a 2005 graduate. I believe that your work is your degree.

None of my clients as me if I have a degree, they like my work and they hire me. If you attend Hallmark in 10 months you will have a portfolio that rocks and will get you work.

Check out what grads and current students are up to here on the

http://www.hallmarkhipsters.net