PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?! Real CC wanted.

Angela_Lawson
06-12-2008, 08:44 PM
I know I've never entered comp., and even though I bought a case, I didn't think I'd have time to even look at any images for possiblities. What do you think of this one? It's very light, because I was going for the old faded photo look on it. If you think it would work, how would I make it comp ready regarding how dark it should be?

Was thinking "Take me out to the Ballgame" or "Play Ball" for a title?

Any and all comments welcome - including if you don't think it's comp worthy.
Thanks.
Angela

Angela_Lawson
06-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Now, I'm pretty sure the lighting is good, so is there just not enough impact? Anything I could change to make it better?

Noelle_Zaleski
06-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Angela, I don't think it has the impact you may need. I am no expert that is for sure but I think it looks like a typical portrait. The baby is adorable but he is not doing anything special to make me say wow.

Now if you are going to go for an "aged photo look" I would make sure the title fits the image. Using the word nastalgia or something like that.

Hopefully somebody that really knows what they are saying will chime in. ;)

Cindi_Delaney
06-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Angela,
As you know I'm NOT an authority. And I've never entered any kind of competition for photography. So this is purely opinion.
That said. The whole thing seems a little washed out or maybe white to me.

John_Metcalfe
06-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Angela,

First, remove yourself from the print. Now, remove the ability to see anything but the image. Close your eyes, empty your mind (not a joke), open them and tell me the first thing you see, then start your journey through the image. List all that you see for and against the image.

Once you have done so, I'll caompare notes with you.

Angela_Lawson
06-13-2008, 04:31 PM
John,

Thanks - when I look at it like that, I see more than a cute portrait for a parent. While the overall image has good lighting, and I like the faded out affect, I can now see that, while I was using the baseball bat and glove to tell part of the story, by them being cropped and at the edge of the photo they are rather distracting, taking attention from the baby. However, if I take them away, it is just a cute baby with a ball. In a larger version of this, you are actually drawn to his eyes first - they are a beautiful blue, but I see that it is not enough to carry the image.

Thanks for the help - I'll have to try that with all my images and see if there is anything else worth working on.

Oh, and see you Monday! :)
Angela

D._Craig_Flory
06-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Angela;

I like this as a client image and have some thoughts in that direction as well as using something like this for competition.

Since he is sitting on the floor, I see a horizontal presentation instead of a vertical. He is dead center and needs to be moved. It looks washed out. And, there is nothing really different about it.

Here is how I see it ... I called it "2025 MLB Draft Pick" :

Rodney_Ninow
06-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Nice job Craig!

John_Metcalfe
06-14-2008, 02:22 AM
John,

Thanks - when I look at it like that, I see more than a cute portrait for a parent. While the overall image has good lighting, and I like the faded out affect, I can now see that, while I was using the baseball bat and glove to tell part of the story, by them being cropped and at the edge of the photo they are rather distracting, taking attention from the baby. However, if I take them away, it is just a cute baby with a ball. In a larger version of this, you are actually drawn to his eyes first - they are a beautiful blue, but I see that it is not enough to carry the image.

Thanks for the help - I'll have to try that with all my images and see if there is anything else worth working on.

Oh, and see you Monday! :)
Angela

Another good trick is to view it upside down...

BTW, to easier identify me at Jackie's easier, I will be the one with the cool shades and the spiked hair. Jeff and I look soooo much alike, so I thought I'd save him the embarassment of everyone asking me his questions.