PDA

View Full Version : Do I want a video?

Noelle_Zaleski
06-12-2008, 07:31 PM
I am about to send my prints in for nationals. Should I get the video critique since it is my first time entering?

Don_Chick
06-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes! Unless you have 4 seals, why not get the education that the $35 gives you.

Noelle_Zaleski
06-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks Don

Ashley_Short
06-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Noelle,

I've only submitted once before, and it was only one print, but I decided to get the video. I was after all, submitting the print for further education. When I got it back, the guy critiqued it and told me the minor changes that could have taken it into the loan collection. nice to know.... kinda. lol.

Anyway, it's worth the money!!

Noelle_Zaleski
06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Noelle,

I've only submitted once before, and it was only one print, but I decided to get the video. I was after all, submitting the print for further education. When I got it back, the guy critiqued it and told me the minor changes that could have taken it into the loan collection. nice to know.... kinda. lol.

Anyway, it's worth the money!!

Ashley, do they CC after they are judged?

Keith_A_Howe
06-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Ashley, do they CC after they are judged?

Not Ashley - but yes- they go to the critique room after being judged for general and loan.

Keith

Noelle_Zaleski
06-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks Kieth, I am going to do it!!

Barry_Hayes
06-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Many years ago I tried the audio tape critique. Every print was " nice image, I liked it". No guidance, no specifics, total waste of money. I've gotten much better information at my state & regional competitions. And there I can sometimes drag a judge aside and find out why they scored as they did.
I've never tried the video flavor, but once burned, twice shy. As with anything your mileage may vary.
PS, my tape critique was by Monte Zucker!

Rick_Massarini
06-13-2008, 05:07 AM
If you're basing your experience as to whether or not you want a critique on your experience with an audio tape critique, you're basing your decision on VERY old information. The critiques haven't been done on audio tape in over a dozen years - maybe even closer to 15...
The video CD critique is worth every penny you pay for it. Depending on the state, at state judgings, the jurors may not have to be PPA-PEC qualified. At the National Judging, all of the judges have to be current PPA-PEC qualified jurors, so they can give you a very qualified opinion as to what to do to improve your image.

Mark_Levesque
06-13-2008, 05:10 AM
I didn't pony up last year, and wished I did. This year I sprung for the critique. Looking forward to it.

Heather_L._Smith
06-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Not to open up a whole new can of worms (and we've talked about this before), but if you get the video critique, there is the option for the critiquing judge to have your image reviewed by a new panel if they strongly disagree with the decision. There are multiple panels judging, so the print has the opportunity to be viewed by a new panel if the critiquing judge feels it's deserving.

Noelle_Zaleski
06-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Not to open up a whole new can of worms (and we've talked about this before), but if you get the video critique, there is the option for the critiquing judge to have your image reviewed by a new panel if they strongly disagree with the decision. There are multiple panels judging, so the print has the opportunity to be viewed by a new panel if the critiquing judge feels it's deserving.

hmm, how often does that happen? and can it backfire on you?

Keith_A_Howe
06-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Heather was right in what she told you. In some years past the critiquing judge could send the print to another panel. However that has changed for this year. It was changed to make the competition as fair as possible to all members. Some members cannot afford the extra cost for the critique. So they weren't being given that final shot at getting a merit. Also PEC wants the critiques to be about education, not about "buying" extra chances. PEC does not want print competition to ever be about who can afford to spend the most money. So after much much discussion they decided that prints could no longer be challenged from the critiquing room. The other fairness issue was logistical. The final prints can't go to critique until ythe last panel is done judging. Judges are sent home as soon as they finish to keep expenses as low as possible. So as soon as the last print is judged, often the jurors have to leave to make flights and the judging booths start to come down. Occassionally by the time the prints got through critique, there was not enough judges left to seat a panel. And that was not fair to the person whose prints went through critique last, if they did not get the same opportunity for challenges as the earlier prints had. I got this from Helen Yancy, head of PEC, a few minutes ago, so as of this morning, this information is correct. Noelle asked how often it happened, that prints would get challenged from the critique room. In the last two years zero prints were challenged from the critique room. So even when it was allowed, it rarely happened. It's just that the few times it did, that's what got talked about and it became part of our photographic urban legends.

Another change that has been made, on the regional level prints cannot be roved from one panel to another. This was again done to keep the competition fair and equal throught the country. Some regions do not have multiple panels, so prints in those regions could not be roved. Now regardless of what region you live in, your entries will have the same opportunities.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
06-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Sorry Noelle - didn't read the part about backfire - NO a critiquing judge has never and would never challenge a print to take away a merit. So no it could not backfire on you - however of course that is a moot point now.

Keith

Noelle_Zaleski
06-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Thank you Kieth, I agree that would not be fair at all.

Linda_Gregory
06-14-2008, 12:50 AM
I have had two critiques, have entered two years. Both times the information has been invaluable. Last year I had a full case but no loans (NOT complaining!!) The critiquer still gave information on how I could have improved the images or in the case of a few, how it could never be perfect. I have learned each time and see things differently because of their input.