PDA

View Full Version : C&C Please

Stacey_West
06-10-2008, 07:53 AM
I know I'm stupidly late with these. I had decided not to enter anything this year (in truth I've not been greatly excited about much I've shot recently) but now I'm thinking I'll give it a try. C&C would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Azalea Attitude
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/loftphoto/AzaleaAttitude.jpg

#2 In Ashley's Room
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/loftphoto/InAshleysRoom.jpg

#3 The King's Golden Crown
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/loftphoto/TheKingsGoldenCrown.jpg

#4 Dreaming of You
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/loftphoto/katiea.jpg

Art_Wright
06-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Nothing attached...

Stacey_West
06-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Nothing attached...
sorry, how about now...

Keith_A_Howe
06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Stacey
Are these already printed or sent to the lab, or are you just getting them ready to go?
Keith

Stacey_West
06-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Stacey
Are these already printed or sent to the lab, or are you just getting them ready to go?
Keith

Keith,

I am just getting them ready They are not printed but they can be pretty quickly.

Thanks.

Keith_A_Howe
06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Stacey
Sorry I took so long to get this done, Kept starting but not getting time to finish.

1 - Azalea Attitude - I would suggest toning down all the flowers in the lower right 1/3 of the print, from her on down. I would like to see a bit more light direction on her face. You can try to add some if you are good in PS but be careful not to have a color shift. Add demension to her hair by dodging the highlights and burning the shadows. Lastly use levels to bring up the whites just a bit and take the blacks down 5 or so and midtones to say around 90-93 this should give you close to comp density for this image.

2 - In Ashley's Room - I would suggest taking off the hair band from her wrist. I think it should be in the upper R of the board in this case as it feels heavy and low in the composition, her face is near the middle. Try cropping off a bit more from the right side of the image but leave just a little bit of her left bicept to make the connection to her arm. Also crop off a bit more from the top almost to her hair. This should help the composition a little as well as help to eleminate some of the darker background. The lighting is nice here but there is the mixed keys of the white ?bed? and the darker walls.

3 - The King's Golden Crown - Really take this image down, way down! Just keep detail in most of the blacks but worry too much if you have some areas that block up a bit as long as there is detail in the elk. Make sure the elk is sharp!

4 - Dreaming of You - Here I see a muddy look to the midtones. Snap it up some but do not lose the groom's body. You might need to do selective work here. Again I would move it up to the top of the board as they are a bit centered in the presentation. You might try cropping it off the right side down trough the hair piece where the feathers are coming out of the back and also crop off the bottom where the top of her dress comes across the bust. I am making these suggestions with out actually trying them so do what looks best to you.
Good Luck
Keith

Angela_Lawson
06-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Stacey,

I know this is for comp. so it may not matter, but on the first one, I'd liquefy her cheeks just a teensy bit. Not enough to distort her face or really even change it much, just push them in enough to make the face more oval than round. As an overweight person myself, I know just that little bit makes a huge difference.

Just my .02 worth.
Angela

Rodney_Ninow
06-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Again I would move it up to the top of the board as they are a bit centered in the presentation.
Keith

Stacey, I hope you don't mind if I use your presentation to help educate me on this off center matting. All your images are excellent, and, I am just trying to figure out this off center mat thing.

Keith, It was partially explained to me in another thread that the reason for off center matting is to make sure the subject is placed at an intersection when thinking about the rule of the thirds.

But here, he seems to have just placed them all in the lower right corner. And then you recommend moving one (or more) to the top.

The off center mat in #1 and #2 has served to bullseye her face, which I always thought was a no-no in composition. Of course, rules are made to be broken, but for this discussion, I am doing my best to understand the off center matting.

I've attended a few print comps, but never entered. My preference is for full bleed, and let the image speak for itself, but maybe that thinking is wrong.

Any comments anyone can make are much appreciated.

Stacey_West
06-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Sorry I took so long to get this done, Kept starting but not getting time to finish.

No sweat. I'm going to take your suggestions and work on these this weekend. I'll post the results. Thanks again.

Keith_A_Howe
06-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Stacey, I hope you don't mind if I use your presentation to help educate me on this off center matting. All your images are excellent, and, I am just trying to figure out this off center mat thing.

I've attended a few print comps, but never entered. My preference is for full bleed, and let the image speak for itself, but maybe that thinking is wrong.

Any comments anyone can make are much appreciated.

Rodney
Think of the outer board vs the image area as your image with a final framing or presentation on the clients wall. There are a few (but not very many) situations where a full bleed image (mural) covering the wall is the best way to display the image. Usually you will have a frame of one kind or another and place the image on the wall to add impact to the room. Think of the presentation as the viewing area and place your image on that area so that it will increase it's impact. You can use it as a secondary composition or as an extension of the image with a faded layer or . . . There are a number of options available to you the maker as to how to use the space to add to the visual impact of the image. I know what you mean about thinking of letting the image speak for it's self. Just keep in mind how you would want your clients to have their images displayed, a plain full bleed image stuck to the wall or a final presentation of one kind or another hanging on the wall.

Hope this helps
Keith