PDA

View Full Version : C&C please

Jodie_Potter
06-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm wanting to put some images together for my first print comp. Any C&C would be greatly appreciated!

Joe_Galioto
06-07-2008, 08:20 PM
jodie,
all i see is a big ear.
sorry,
joe

Lorrie_Kennedy
06-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi Jodie,

Joe is right, the ear draws the most attention. My heart goes out to this image and I am so glad you posted it. My middle son also has a larger than normal set of ears, and he is always complaining about photos of himself. As his Mom I could not see this, but your image has made me take another look at his complaints, and he is right.

I have never entered competition so I am not going to critique this image, I'll let those more experienced handle that!

Joe_Galioto
06-07-2008, 08:56 PM
lorrie,
better keep him home on windy days!
joe

Lorrie_Kennedy
06-07-2008, 09:02 PM
:D :D :D :D : very funny!!!!! Thank goodness he took after his Dad and not his Mom!

Mark_Levesque
06-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Seems to me the prominence of the ear could easily be reduced with the warp tool in liquify.

Lorrie_Kennedy
06-08-2008, 03:26 AM
As for my son...it would take the shrinking tool in Physician's Shop!:eek: Naw, just kidding, his ears aren't THAT bad.:D

Mark is right, warp tool should work just fine.

Cindi_Delaney
06-08-2008, 03:58 AM
He has beautiful eyes but my first thought was WOW he's got big ears.
Sorry.

Heidi_Theriault
06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Jodie, congrats on stepping up to the plate and wracking your nerves over your first comp. I'm not an expert either but I'm pretty sure this image won't score high. The boy is adorable but...

-The tree is cutting into his left eye.
-The ear gets all the attention.
-Peaking through the trees is causing some tension for some reason. Perhaps he's not visible enough.

Regarding the big ears, the solution I think of is to photograph him at a 3/4 view. The far ear will be hidden and the close ear will be masked within the shape of the head, tricking you into believing it doesn't stick out as far as it does. The ear would also have to have tremendous light drop-off so that your attention is not drawn there.

Jodie_Potter
06-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I don't think I could bring myself to "fix" his ear because that is who he is. Maybe I'll try something else for competition.

Keith_A_Howe
06-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Jodie, Yes he has large ears, but I don't feel that would be an issue for print competition. In fact it gives him character which makes him a good choice for print competition. There are other issues that will keep this image out of the merit catergory IMO. There is a whole lot of out of focus tree (about 1/3rd of the total image) that is quite distracting. Then the direction of light appears to be straight into his face, flattening out his features. Lastly there are PS issues. There is a halo line around him where it appears you have worked the background. Also I believe you have worked the stripes in his shirt, but they are still pretty distracting.

I looked at your website. Go look at the image on your opening of the senior girl in the green sweater. Look at how the light falls across her face instead of straight into her face. That image would be a much better choice for competition then this image because of better lighting, better clothing and a backgound that supports the image rather than distracts.

Keith

Rodney_Ninow
06-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I agree with Keith, the OOF tree is very distracting IMO.

Heidi_Theriault
06-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Wow, Keith is right. You have much better images on your Web site than the one you showed here. I love the older couple on your home page! That's just priceless.

Jodie_Potter
06-10-2008, 05:28 AM
Thanks Keith and Heidi for the positve comments. I see what you are talking about Keith with regards to lighting and focus, I guess I was more drawn to this image because of his character and I over-looked it's faults. I'll go back and see what else I can come up with. Thanks!

D._Craig_Flory
06-10-2008, 01:24 PM
A tip for you for checking to see where your eyes are drawn, on an image, is this. Turn an image upside down and squint at it.

Jodie_Potter
06-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I'll have to try that one.