PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity (hope it doesn't kill the cat!)

Laura_Beth_Bailey
06-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Would anything like this work in competition? I have yet to watch or participate in one so I have no idea. I can take it if you're laughing now and this is absurd!:) I'm just curious. Maybe darken the lighter areas on the left a little more so it's more even? Are shadow areas on the girl too dark? Scrap it altogether?
LBB
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/LauraBethBailey/20080606057CatDanceHalo30SMWMPost.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
06-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Laura Beth,
The subject matter and the concept are good competition choices. There are some technical considerations, that appear to be post processing, that would IMO keep this out of the merit catergory. Before I comment further, can you post the raw file, so we can see where you started?

Also - what is your definition of "work". Do you mean will it work as in "will it merit?". Or work as in "wil it score at least average catergory?". Or work as in it "will I be laughed out of the competition and asked never to return?". It's hard to answer that question unless we know what your hopes/expectations are.
Keith

Laura_Beth_Bailey
06-06-2008, 08:56 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/LauraBethBailey/20080606057origpost.jpg

Keith, I suppose "work" to me would mean any or all of the above. Most of all, would I be a laughing stock? And I don't mean are people polite enough not to do it infront of me...I mean would it be hilarious behind the scenes?:o

This is the original...several issues...lack of bg on right, not enough room on left...I "built" some in the edited one...When I say original, I do have the RAW file. This was converted to jpg after making a tiny adjustment in increasing exposure but there have been no other modifications.

Laura_Beth_Bailey
06-06-2008, 09:19 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/LauraBethBailey/Orig0013Resized.jpg
Took a peek and I remembered I did crop and adjust exp a little more than I thought in RAW. This image is exactly as it appeared in RAW. I only converted it and resized it to 72.

Keith_A_Howe
06-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Ok, first off no - you will not be a laughing stock. Second, it will work - but how much effort do you want to put into this when I don't think you can get it to a merit. The problem is when you tried to extend the background - you got blotchy and have a very dark area in the center. Also you have a keyhole look (extra heavy vignette) that will kill this image in print competition. You can fix all this - but in this case - because of the amount of work needed and the uncertainty that even with the work it will merit, I would suggest do it again - fixing what you can before you make the exposure. Here's what I would suggest you change.

1) Your background is not wide enough - but you have it gathered up creating distracting folds and wrinkles. Stretch it out flat to get more width and get rid of the wrinkle problem at the same time.

2) The girl's outfit is a cool lavendar - and pastel at that. Can you find a similar outfit in a deep warm tone or a background in the cool pastel tones- so you have color harmony in the image.

3) Keep the lighting on her face and body as it is, but can you add a hairlight? Her hair is blocking up (loosing detail in the shadows).

4) If you can't get enough background or add a hairlight, think about trying this outside. Pick a woodland scene if you use a darker outfit or a pastoral meadow scene if it's this pastel outfit.

What gives this image potential is the control of the light and the feeling of motion from stopping the action- don't lose that - just improve the technical aspects.

Keith

Laura_Beth_Bailey
06-07-2008, 03:45 AM
Thank you tremendously for the help! I will definitely try again implementing the strategies you've given. I can see it in my mind...I've just got to direct it and capture it in a quality way...wish me luck and I'll post results as soon as I can.

Noelle_Zaleski
06-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Laura, i really like this shot and I hope that you can perfect another version for comp and do well!!:)