PDA

View Full Version : I joined a committee, am I crazy?

Noelle_Zaleski
06-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I joined my State Affiliate less than a year ago and went to a few meetings when I could. After going to convention I made alot of new friends and last night at the meeting I was asked if I wanted to be on the committee. Basically I would be the person taking pics at our local meetings monthly. I thought I can handle that. I then find out I am required to go to a state meeting every other month. I am happy to serve and hope that I have not taken on more than I can handle.

Any thoughts from those who serve would be great.

Don_Chick
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Giving back is a wonderful thing!

Volunteer organizations need new people all the time to keep going. Start out with that job then consider others as time goes on. Print committee is a lot of work but very rewarding. These are great opportunities to make new friends and learn new things.

Noelle_Zaleski
06-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Don thanks, I really love meeting new people and learning from others. I like the idea of being involved but I have to be careful. I run a business and a family and really have very little free time now. I am going to do it and see how it goes.

Don_Chick
06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
If you know in advance what your limitations are (and you do!) then you know just how much you can contribute. Don't let them pressure you to go beyond what you know you can do. Then its a win-win situation and enjoyable.

John_Metcalfe
06-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Noelle,

Many come and go and pay little attention to what it truly takes to pull off an event, a convention, heck even coordinating a raffle. I too used to be one of those people. For years I was happy to arrive, receive my goody bag, collect my room key, attend what ever I felt like and head out for the evening after...

This year I received the honor of being voted on to the state board on Illinois. I am the new Props Chairman. What does that mean? I'm still finding out. HA!

First in the room, last to leave, keep the equipment running, fix it when it breaks & make sure it doesn't grow legs, take care of the speakers needs, keep tabs on everyone in the rooms, beg and borrow from the vendors, and never let them see you sweat... Yep! That's what so far. I'm sure there's more!

D._Craig_Flory
06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
I joined my State Affiliate less than a year ago and went to a few meetings when I could. After going to convention I made alot of new friends and last night at the meeting I was asked if I wanted to be on the committee. Basically I would be the person taking pics at our local meetings monthly. I thought I can handle that. I then find out I am required to go to a state meeting every other month. I am happy to serve and hope that I have not taken on more than I can handle.

Any thoughts from those who serve would be great.

Hi Noelle;

I have served on a bunch of committees since I joined PPAofPa in 1978. I started on Print Committee. I served as Props Chairman when I served on the board of governors. (7 years on the board). I've helped on other commitees from time to time. I have served as Security Chairman for many years now.

You will get great satisfaction in giving back to your group. Watch how all the other committees function and start a short list on some that might be beneficial to you ... like print committee or props.

D._Craig_Flory
06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Noelle,

Many come and go and pay little attention to what it truly takes to pull off an event, a convention, heck even coordinating a raffle. I too used to be one of those people. For years I was happy to arrive, receive my goody bag, collect my room key, attend what ever I felt like and head out for the evening after...

This year I received the honor of being voted on to the state board on Illinois. I am the new Props Chairman. What does that mean? I'm still finding out. HA!

Hi John;

I was Props Chair for a number of years. One benefit is during boudoir and figure study programs. You get to move lights around and hold reflectors while watching the speaker work with the model. Lucky dude !!!

Nylora_Bruleigh
06-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Noelle!

CONGRATUALTIONS on taking that next step within your association! You should be very proud of yourself as many people never take that next step and it truly is rewarding. Being the photographer at the meetings is a great place to get your feet wet! I started out as the librarian's assistant.

Have fun with it!

Nylora

Don_Chick
06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I started out as the librarian's assistant.

And now she's President!!!

Noelle_Zaleski
06-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks all!!

I do want to be involved as much as I can but there is always that fear of taking on way too much and getting burned out very quickly. That's no fun.

Heather_L._Smith
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Are you crazy? Yes!! But it's okay.... all the best ones are. If it weren't for the crazies out there, we wouldn't have associations.

You'll have a great time... look at it as a blessing... you'll probably get a ton of information out of the meetings that you are now required to participate in.

D._Craig_Flory
06-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi Noelle;

You could use this for some publicity. Send a news release, to area newspapers, that your professional photography association thought enough of you as a photographer to name you as an official photographer to capture the meetings !!!

Noelle_Zaleski
06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Are you crazy? Yes!! But it's okay.... all the best ones are. If it weren't for the crazies out there, we wouldn't have associations.

You'll have a great time... look at it as a blessing... you'll probably get a ton of information out of the meetings that you are now required to participate in.

Heather, I agree that it will be fun and I will learn a ton from it.
BTW, I have been meaning to tell you I watched Forest Gump the other day and he said his mama said "He was like a Duck in Water" So I wasn't that far off with my silly comment "Duck out of water" I knew I heard something like that somewhere.:o

Mark_Levesque
06-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Hahaha. Don Chick pulled this one on me when I joined NHPPA. I, too, was the newb taking pics of photographers at their monthly meetings! Stress, much? LOL. Then I went back and looked through past issues to see what others had done and discovered it was ok after all.

Barbara_Adelman
06-06-2008, 01:33 AM
After being a long time "show up for the classes only- learn & leave" member for years, I started volunteering this year (and this year I'm on a committee). It's actually great. I now have so many more photographer's to go to for advice or just talk shop with than I had in the past. I'm learning to be a little more stringent on my time, but it's carving out time for myself and the business which is important so that I can function sanely within the "master" family/kid schedule of school, church, sport and social functions

So yes, You're crazy, but just like being on here, it's a great source of information and you make contacts that are really unbeatable!

John_Metcalfe
06-06-2008, 11:51 AM
After being a long time "show up for the classes only- learn & leave" member for years

That's what I heard about you...

See you Monday!

George_Hawkins
06-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks all!!

I do want to be involved as much as I can but there is always that fear of taking on way too much and getting burned out very quickly. That's no fun.

Wow, Mr Flory writing about 1978, makes me admit the year I joined and went to my first New England PPA (PPANE) convention; it was the installation of its first woman (Maggie Rother Nocca) President!

A year or two before that, I had joined the local state affiliate, and I remember a well respected officer asking if I'd be one of the meeting photographers. Another year he administered to three of us the CPP exam, and I have maintained Certification since 1980. Stuff just happens: I was asked to administer exams, and then worked on many committees! I was president of NHPPA in late 80's; I was president of PPANE in 2001. I never expected any of that, but it just happened. Often the jobs seem thankless, but you will be thanked. Even if it's indirect, there will be thanks. As another wrote, it takes a team to keep an association going. Keep participating.

However, your volunteering should be #3, behind your family and your livelihood. You will just happen to establish lifelong friendships. There may be some speed bumps, but keep going. I have too long a list to start naming people who mean so much; some names would be easily recognized and some not.

George

Noelle_Zaleski
06-06-2008, 12:37 PM
George, that is the wonderul thing about this industry, you can meet so many wonderful people and make new friends and learn along the way.

George_Hawkins
06-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Come to NHPPA, and even the past PPA President, Jack!

Debra_Collins
06-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Volunteering is actually the first thing I do when I join an organization. I've found its the best way to meet people and to feel like a part of things. I am on the print competition committee and taking pictures at our convention in August. I did the same thing at PPA in Tampa and met some really great people that I would have missed without that involvement.

Rick_Massarini
06-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks all!!

You'll find that the more you get involved, the less it's like work and more fun it becomes.

The best way to gain FOR yourself is to give OF yourself. You'll find that if you give of yourself with a good heart, and an altruistic attitude, you'll get back a whole lot more than you'll ever give...

You may think that no one ever notices what you did, but they do...

David_Schneider
06-20-2008, 09:38 PM
"I joined a committee, am I crazy?"

Yes, but that never stopped anyone. Not a very good excuse.

Norine_Piet
06-21-2008, 02:09 AM
You will be a fantastic addition to the committee and will definitely be an asset. It's easy to attend meetings, but oh so hard to commit to helping. You are to be commended.

George_Hawkins
06-21-2008, 02:30 AM
You'll find that the more you get involved, the less it's like work and more fun it becomes.
You may think that no one ever notices what you did, but they do...

Rick is so correct.

As one footwear company says "just do it". You WILL enjoy it, and you will be thanked, even if not immediately. But then, who cares what others think.

Do it, George

Noelle_Zaleski
06-21-2008, 02:31 AM
"I joined a committee, am I crazy?"

Yes, but that never stopped anyone. Not a very good excuse.

You are a funny man Schneider!!! :p

Noelle_Zaleski
06-21-2008, 02:32 AM
I am actually excited about my new venture! A few people from the committee have reached ot to me and I feel better about it.:D

D._Craig_Flory
06-21-2008, 02:31 PM
For all who never serve on a committee, or on the board, of your state group or sub state group: All of these groups would have to charge a lot more for dues without volunteers. That makes those who only attend meetings, and never help, goldiggers and moochers. These groups would fold quickly without volunteers. As someone who has chaired a number of committees, I get so frustrated with those who won't lift a finger in any way for their group.

So, for any and all who volunteer, and serve, congratulations. You are the backbone of your groups, the mortar that holds the bricks together. My hat is off to all of you. You may never get any recognition and certainly no monetary gains. But, you will have the satisfaction and the pride only those who serve and help can feel.

D._Craig_Flory
07-19-2008, 01:14 PM
For anyone NOT serving your local or state photography groups ... why not ??? So far, this thread has been all about those who already help. Ok, now I'm putting out a challenge to those who are not on a committee or helping in some other way. All photography associations, where a lot of you belong and learn, have officers and committee members who do not get paid anything at all. All need people to volunteer their time. A lot of the committees will allow you to learn and grow.

So, who is going to volunteer and serve their group starting next year who have never done so before ???