PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else taking the test in Oakland, CA on the 22nd?

Anne_Raker
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I just registered for it. I am doing a chapter (or two, if I am not fried) a night of the book between now and then, focusing on the questions Mark posted and the online study guide.

Any other good study tips? Would flashcards help, do you think? How much is logical and how much is rote memorization of terminology? I am paying to fly down, and paying for a hotel while I'm down there, so I want to be sure I'm not wasting my $$$! :D

Thanks!

D._Craig_Flory
06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
I just registered for it. I am doing a chapter (or two, if I am not fried) a night of the book between now and then, focusing on the questions Mark posted and the online study guide.

Any other good study tips? Would flashcards help, do you think? How much is logical and how much is rote memorization of terminology? I am paying to fly down, and paying for a hotel while I'm down there, so I want to be sure I'm not wasting my $$$! :D

Thanks!

Hi Anne;

As a C.P.P. Liaison, I'd like to congratulate you on going for certification.

Ideas:

Have a get together, with friends, and give each a whole bunch of questions (they can see the answers also). Each will ask a question and then on to the next. Even non-photographers would be fine.

Record questions on a CD and play in your car so you can study while driving.

Get to the exam early. For the last several I've given the photogs. were sounding questions off each other before the start time.

Good luck !

Michael_Gan
06-05-2008, 03:51 PM
We can't help you for this upcoming exam, but each year, Northern California Professional Photographers, based in Walnut Creek, has a study group of around 10 members. So far, we have about 23 CPP's out of out 90 members. Our next meeting is Thursday June 12th. Let me know if you would like to attend, and I can issue you a pass.

DianeDavis
06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Michael-
Is that a one day thing or a multi-meeting thing?

Michael_Gan
06-05-2008, 06:15 PM
They meet once a week for ten weeks, each person leading the discussion for each chapter. This has been including coming to my studio for a light ratio and lighting methods demonstration. I then proctor the exam in April after they have finished the 10 weeks. All but one have passed the written exam so far, with about 10 more to submit their images. We should have close to 30 ceritfieds by the end of the year.

Also, what's really cool is six or so of the certifieds have started a "Masters Study Group" and are helping each other out in preparing their PPA print comp images.

D._Craig_Flory
06-05-2008, 06:21 PM
We should have close to 30 ceritfieds by the end of the year.

Also, what's really cool is six or so of the certifieds have started a "Masters Study Group" and are helping each other out in preparing their PPA print comp images.

Hi Michael;

That's a great idea about forming a group for those aspiring to become Masters !!!

P.S. ... we have over 50 certifieds here in Pa. but we are a state group. I think it's terrific that you have around 30 in your size group.

Angela_Lawson
06-05-2008, 06:55 PM

I wish there was something like that around here. Now that I've gotten my certification, I'd like to work towards my Masters, but haven't even been able to get a handle on what makes a competition print really stand out (in terms of viewing my own work), and didn't have time to try for this years Nationals (I got as far as buying a print case), but no images. I'd even spend the extra money if I thought I had anything comp. worthy, but at this point I'm just not seeing anything. And I really have no clue about the whole printing it darker issue either. A class would be great.

Anyone want to try to do an "Online Study Group"? Hint, Hint Michael!;) :D

Angela

Michael_Gan
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
heh, always here;)

Anne_Raker
06-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Craig, those are great ideas! I don't drive all that much, but I could certainly create an mp3 to listen to while I'm proofing or something. I will definitely have a "Quiz Me" party, though. That sounds like a great (and fun!) idea.

Michael, that is very cool! I wish I lived close enough to come to the meeting, but I actually live in the Seattle area. The test date up here was earlier this year, and I was very, very sick, so I couldn't do it. But my family is in N. CA (Davis, to be specific), so I am flying down to do the exam and say hi to my family. :) You say your group comes together for 10 weeks and studies a chapter each week... the book has more than 10 chapters...are there some I should kind of skim and not concentrate heavily on? ;)

Angela, once I get past the CPP exam, I would be very interested in your Masters group! :)

paulrogers
06-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Good luck Anne, I an looking forward to meeting you in July.

Anne_Raker
06-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Thanks Paul! :) I'm looking forward to it as well! :)

Tod_Gomes
06-07-2008, 05:33 AM
All but one have passed the written exam so far

That would be me!:D I'll be there in Oakland. My photographs passed when I submitted them the first time so I'm doing it bass ackwards.

I'm just not a good test taker (well, that and, well, nevermind lol...)

D._Craig_Flory
06-07-2008, 01:06 PM
That would be me!:D I'll be there in Oakland. My photographs passed when I submitted them the first time so I'm doing it bass ackwards.

I'm just not a good test taker (well, that and, well, nevermind lol...)

Hi Tod;

You will do fine. Do one of the following : #1 Get hypnotized & , while under, be told you will ace it. #2 Arrive three hours early and re-read the entire "Photography" book. OR #3 Wine & dine the liaison and shower them with gifts. :o :eek: (actually, we liaisons never see the inside of the exam books so you can scratch that idea LOL)

Good Luck !!!

Michael_Gan
06-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Good luck Tod! We're rootin' for you! The key is to not focus too heavily on the questions you know you missed the last time, there had to be 28 others that you might have thought you knew were right. Go through the online chapter questions and see where you might have missed.

the book has more than 10 chapters...are there some I should kind of skim and not concentrate heavily on? Some of the weeks, the group will cover more than one chapter. Also, there's some stuff in there that won't be covered in the exam (but always good information to know for the sake of photography in general)

Tod_Gomes
06-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Tod;

You will do fine. Do one of the following : #1 Get hypnotized & , while under, be told you will ace it. #2 Arrive three hours early and re-read the entire "Photography" book. OR #3 Wine & dine the liaison and shower them with gifts. :o :eek: Good Luck !!!

Well you can throw out number 2. I did that last time. (or was that number one. (Michael? lol...))

Why is CMYK even an option on the test since photographers do not use this color space?;) Also, 4 of us serched for the answer to this paticular question after the test in the "Photogrpahy" book but could not find the answer.

Mark_Levesque
06-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Why is CMYK even an option on the test since photographers do not use this color space?
Because it is useful to know. :D

DianeDavis
06-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Do any photographers in the Bay Area want to get together for lunch with Anne after she passes her exam? I thought maybe I'd drive down and say hi.