PDA

View Full Version : I was just thinking...

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong - This case that I just packed and am shipping tomorrow...I won't see it again until next year?

So that means I'm going to have to purchase another case for PPANE in September...

Jeff_Dachowski
06-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong - This case that I just packed and am shipping tomorrow...I won't see it again until next year?

So that means I'm going to have to purchase another case for PPANE in September...

Cassandra,
That is correct. You might take solace in that your husband doesn't also need two print cases!
Jeff

Liz_Vance
06-04-2008, 02:10 AM
What?? What do you mean, next year? Why does it take so long? Don't they just pull the prints that merit and send the rest back? I only have two cases, and Steff has been borrowing one of them, so after these are sent off, I won't have any cases.

(This is my first national comp, in case it wasn't glaringly obvious.)

Mark_Levesque
06-04-2008, 02:16 AM
No, if any of your images merit, you don't see your case again until next year. That's why I send my budget print case to national, and hand carry the nice one to state and regionals.

Heather_L._Smith
06-04-2008, 03:54 AM
It's because the judging takes place in July, but the images don't actually hang until January at Imaging. Can you imagine if the judging was done during Imaging? All the judges and crew would be there for over 2 weeks for the judging + the conference... so by breaking it up, we don't see our images until next year, but we don't burn out our judges, either.

Think bigger than that, Cassandra... if it goes loan, you never get it back. Now wouldn't THAT be a good problem to have?? :D

Rick_Massarini
06-04-2008, 04:27 AM
The best thing to do is to buy an extra print case dedicated strictly for the National Judging. You ship them in June, they're judged in July, if you don't hang any, then you'll get your case back sometime after July. If you hang one or more prints, the print case and any unaccepted prints are held until the print that is to be exhibited is shown at the National Convention in January. After the convention, the print exhibit is sent back to Nebraska where the accepted prints are added back to your case and all of your prints are shipped back to you - Just in time for you to refill it and ship it back next year. So the best thing is to dedicate one case to National ...

Liz_Vance
06-04-2008, 04:31 AM
When do they ship the cases back (from Nebraska - hmmm.... another pie with the Howe's finger in it? <g>)? My state comp is in February.

-e

Stewart_Schulze
06-04-2008, 06:23 AM
The best thing to do is to buy an extra print case dedicated strictly for the National Judging...... So the best thing is to dedicate one case to National ...
you just need to do this way!!
Just Do It get 2 cases.

Linda_Gregory
06-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Well what can I say? My regional actually does something RIGHT! Our regional is in the last of May and we have our cases back from nationals in time to use the case. I still have two, though.

Keith_A_Howe
06-04-2008, 10:45 AM
It's because the judging takes place in July, but the images don't actually hang until January at Imaging. Can you imagine if the judging was done during Imaging? All the judges and crew would be there for over 2 weeks for the judging + the conference... so by breaking it up, we don't see our images until next year, but we don't burn out our judges, either. :D

Keep in mind the incredible amount of paperwork and record keeping that goes on with a judging of this size.

Think bigger than that, Cassandra... if it goes loan, you never get it back. Now wouldn't THAT be a good problem to have?? :D

The print that goes loan NOT the print case!

When do they ship the cases back (from Nebraska - hmmm.... another pie with the Howe's finger in it? <g>)? My state comp is in February.

-e

I don't think I want to claim having my finger in it. I just so happens that the PEC ex dir. is from NE.

Also Keep in mind that if you do not want to have your prints returned to you, you can ship your prints to the international judging in a cardboard box, thus keeping your print cast to use at your regional, state and local competition. It is up to you. But it is a way to save buying a second print case.

Keith

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
The best thing to do is to buy an extra print case dedicated strictly for the National Judging. You ship them in June, they're judged in July, if you don't hang any, then you'll get your case back sometime after July.

Ah well this is a possibility since none of my prints have seals and will have to be judged... but I'll just kiss this case goodbye and hope that I don't see it till next year! And then buy another case. :D

Don_Chick
06-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Living in New England you need 2 cases. Our Regional competition is in September, so if you send images to National you need a 2nd case. That also makes it so that images that do well at our New England state conferences (all are done by the end of April) wait until September (missing National) to be judged at Regional, then the following year go to National. It also means a print could take 1 1/2 years from being in a state competition to actually getting to the National competition.

Is that a problem you ask? Only if your doing something trendy.... and it goes out of style by the time the National judges see it!!

Liz_Vance
06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't think I want to claim having my finger in it. I just so happens that the PEC ex is from NE.

Also Keep in mind that if you do not want to have your prints returned to you, you can ship your prints to the international judging in a cardboard box, thus keeping your print cast to use at your regional, state and local competition. It is up to you. But it is a way to save buying a second print case.

Keith - you know I was just making a joke, right? ;)

oooooOOOOooooo.... this I didn't know!

Heather_L._Smith
06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Also Keep in mind that if you do not want to have your prints returned to you, you can ship your prints to the international judging in a cardboard box

Hahaha! And then you wouldn't be charged extra by UPS :D

D._Craig_Flory
06-04-2008, 02:46 PM
A friend of mine used to always order three 16X20's of each image. One dupe was if one got scratched, or otherwise damaged. The 3rd was for when they went loan so he would have one to display in the studio.

And, I do own two cases.

Liz_Vance
06-04-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't know if a) I would want to pay that much every time. I order more prints than I submit, so I can make my final decisions after I get them back, and b) my lights aren't as bright as the competition lights, and my comp prints always look pretty yucky under normal display lighting.

Keith_A_Howe
06-04-2008, 03:50 PM
my lights aren't as bright as the competition lights, and my comp prints always look pretty yucky under normal display lighting. You might want to look into brighter display lighting, I find that comp prints look pretty good under my display lighting and it is not overly bright. Remember you want your display to really pop and look good to potential clients. I use 50w halogen bulbs where possible in our display areas.
Keith

Rick_Massarini
06-05-2008, 04:13 AM
[QUOTE=Keith A. Howe;157296]Keep in mind the incredible amount of paperwork and record keeping that goes on with a judging of this size.

Yeah - If you take the amount of paperwork that goes into your typical state print judging and multiply that times 50 states - you've got an idea of what's involved in the National...

Oh - you've also got to add in a little bit of a "fudge-factor" to that to account for the International entries too...