PDA

View Full Version : UGH! When are they being posted?

Pages : [1] 2

Jeff_Dachowski
06-01-2008, 11:56 PM
OK,
So I sent my case off like three weeks ago, and have been checking the PPA site for the results from the competition, and still nothing!!!!

The suspense is killing me!!!

Jeff

Heather_L._Smith
06-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Hahahahahahaha! I get the feeling you're making fun of some of us??

Nah... that couldn't be the case. Don't worry Jeff.... you'll pass.

Keith_A_Howe
06-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Jeff, I'll save you the suspense. When I talked to Jim this morning he said "hey, you know that dude Jeff Dachowrusnikovy from Vermont don't ya?" I said sure I do, why do you ask. He said " Well we had to DQ all his prints. They were so bad that we were afraid if we let the judges look at them their retinas would be permanently damaged. It was totally a safety call on our part. It's just a good thing they came in a box because they melted the print case. Never seen anything like it. "

So I guess you can quit checking the PPA site. :eek:

Keith

Don_Chick
06-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I saw on the Fedex site this bizarre story about a mangled shipping case that they were trying to locate the owner.

John_Metcalfe
06-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Jeff, Next time use gaffers tape instead of duct tape... Better luck next year.

Michael_Gan
06-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Also, there something in the name that triggers off a virus in the PPA website. They seem to think is's the letter combination of "wski"

D._Craig_Flory
06-02-2008, 05:46 PM
I heard this totally different. All his labels came off his prints and, after arriving, the shipping label came off his case. So they can't get judged and there is no address to ship back to. ;)

Jeff_Dachowski
06-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Hey everyone!

I just got a call. Apparently my images went through a special judging panel because of the condition they were in, and I have good news....
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
06-06-2008, 04:08 AM
and I have good news....
Jeff

They are NOT kicking you out of PPA for disgracing the membership????????????

They thought your melted prints were a new avante garde style?

Humor is the best medicine and laughing at your prints cured an entire hospital ward?

It's raining so much here that Jim Dingwell strapped all your prints together and used them as a raft? To float the rest of our prints to safety?

In an effort to participate in a national vocational rehab program, PEC is training blind people to be print judges and they voted unanimously to use your prints for the training course?

Nah! I got it! They saw Carolle's prints and took pity on you. We all knew Carolle is way out of your league. Now the PEC does too!

Keith . . . with friends like me, Jeff doesn't need enemies!

Linda_Gregory
06-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Well, I'm kinda shakin', I didn't see mine beofre they were shipped out. I left the paperwork and prints to my staff to finish mounting and labeling and packing and took off for the wilds of Iowa near the Mississippi. I know I could check the UPS shipping but ain't gonna do it. Got OTHER things on my mind. Camp Howe is in two days, I have a wedding to photograph today and am at my son's...what IS it with this generation? No iron or ironing board!!! Have you ever seen a rayon shirt come out of a suitcase ready to wear? You have? Well, you haven't seen this one. Maybe I should try to wrinkle it uniformly, huh?

Yeah. My prints are out of my hair. Glad their gone. Two are sealed, no big hopes for the other two as I couldn't work on them endlessly so I'm sure they stink.

Shades of I HATE HALF MY CASE

!!!

Again, they're gone. I sent them out into the world, if they love me, they'll be back.

Wait, if everyone loves them, they'll go loan and they WON'T be back!! Hmmm...hope they hate me!

Linda_Gregory
06-25-2008, 11:02 PM
So???? No news is GOOD news? In what universe???

Keith_A_Howe
07-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Guess what Jeff? Judging is next week, so you only have to wait another couple weeks. Or I guess for a fee I could call you if I find out anything. :D

Keith

Michael_Gan
07-15-2008, 11:24 PM
I think Jeff has passed out from the adrinalin rush :D

Todd_Reichman
07-16-2008, 04:41 AM
So, how do you actually find out the results - are they posted on the PPA website. That's potentially embarrassing. Not that I entered or anything, just, you know, out of professional curiosity.

:D

- trr

Keith_A_Howe
07-16-2008, 04:53 AM
Yes Todd, they are posted on the PPA website about a week after judging is completed. I suppose it can be embarrassing. But if someone was detirmined to find out how you did they could go through the print show and look for your images so it's not a big secret anyway. Plus if someone is not listed on the results you don't know if they didn't hang any prints or if they didn't enter.

Keith

Todd_Reichman
07-16-2008, 05:08 AM
Where's the print show? Isn't it at IUSA? I thought they only put up the merited images.

- trr

Ashley_Short
07-16-2008, 06:00 AM
Todd, have you been to IUSA? If not, you need to go this year! The print exhibit is awesome!

Mark_McCall
07-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Last year, the results weren't posted until the 2nd or 3rd week of Aug.
I only need two for Master...so I'm curious too.

Keith and Jeff....
Thanks for the help on "Wingman". Scored an 88 at TPPA after I tweaked it with your suggestions. I'm tweaking it even further for SWPPA in Oct.

Todd_Reichman
07-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Todd, have you been to IUSA? If not, you need to go this year! The print exhibit is awesome!

Hey Ashley,

Been to IUSA several times, just trying to clarify whether only merited prints were displayed or not - that's what I assumed. That way noone will know my shame.

- trr

Linda_Gregory
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Todd, yes, only merited and loan images are displayed at IUSA.

Ashley_Short
07-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey Ashley,

Been to IUSA several times, just trying to clarify whether only merited prints were displayed or not - that's what I assumed. That way noone will know my shame.

- trr

Ah, yes, because the people on this forum will.... what... taunt you?? lol :eek:

Todd_Reichman
07-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Ah, yes, because the people on this forum will.... what... taunt you?? lol :eek:

But they'll know! I fail constantly, I just hate doing it in public. Its my biggest hang-up about competition.

- trr

Keith_A_Howe
07-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Not neccesarily. The only results that are posted is if the entries merit or accepted for loan. It doesn't say how many prints were actually in your case. It could be you only sent one print. The majority of people send 4 but it's fairly comman to see a case with 1, 2 or 3 prints.

Keith

Deb_Wat
07-17-2008, 12:48 AM
So if you entered and you don't see your name on the list of accepted prints, does that mean none of them were above 80?

When is the judging again?

Keith_A_Howe
07-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Well, it means none of them were accepted. At national it is strictly deserving of a merit or not. If it is judged "merit worthy" then it goes to a panel for loan consideration. So to say none of them were above 80 is a little misleading as no numerical scores are given. But yes, if your name does not appear it means none were merited. As far as when is the next judging, the next national judging will be this same time in 2009. Your local, state or regional may have several competitions between now and then.
Keith

Deb_Wat
07-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks Keith.

That explains 2006. I did enter this year and I was wondering when the judging will take place for 2008.

Keith_A_Howe
07-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Judging is next Monday thru Thursday.
Keith

Rick_Massarini
07-17-2008, 07:02 AM
The suspense is killing me!!!

Jeff

Hey Jeff - if you can't stand the suspense, I've got the solution for you next year - sign up as a volunteer print handler and come give us a hand at the National Judging. You'll know the results as soon as they come around - if you're in the right room, that is... Give it a try - you might enjoy it... and you might even have (a little) free time to hang out with Keith...

Ashley_Short
07-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Rick, how do you go about volunteering? I think I'd learn so much just being there during such an experience.

Rick_Massarini
07-17-2008, 08:16 AM
how do you go about volunteering?

It's too late to volunteer for this year, since the judging starts on Monday morning, but you can see if there are openings for volunteers for next year's judging by contacting the PPA-PEC Coordinator, Jim Dingwell (email jdingwell@ppa.com)

D._Craig_Flory
07-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Rick, how do you go about volunteering? I think I'd learn so much just being there during such an experience.

Hi Ashley;

A suggestion for you, if you don't get to serve on the print committee for Imaging. Volunteer, and serve on print committee, for Mid-East Regional. You have a regional right in your state ! You would get to handle images from 5 states and get to watch a competition 2nd only to PPA since regionals are only one step below national.

Ashley_Short
07-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys. I'll have to check that out next time around.

D. Craig, that's not a bad idea. I don't participate much with the regionals, although I do try to go to the trade show. (I know... I'm bad.)

Keith_A_Howe
07-21-2008, 03:04 AM
I am here in Daytona. Everyone is anxious to start seeing some prints. The charge to the judges was done this evening. I wish anyone who ever doubted the PPA competition system could have been in that room and listened to the charge. I have heard it many times - it varies a bit every year but I am still inspired by the expectation of excellance for the judging process and the judges.

My goal is to try and post some snapshots of the behind the scene activity, so you can all get a feeling for the size and scope of this competition.

We start at 8:30 tomorrow morning. I will try to keep everyone updated.

Keith

Ashley_Short
07-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Keith,

Thank you for sharing this experience with those of us who aren't there! It sounds amazing and I'd LOVE to see some snapshots of the "behind the scenes!"

Have fun!

~Ashley

Stephanie_Millner
07-21-2008, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the update, Keith. You remember my bribe right?

Linda_Gregory
07-21-2008, 04:10 AM
Try to keep us updated? I expect hourly details! Heck, just have Holly in the back of the rooms with cam corders on tripods with direct feed to my computer!

WOOO! Have a blast!

Lori_Clapp
07-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the updates Keith. Ask Holly to make extra sure to get the dust off my prints - they were in my case for a long time!

Have a great time!

Keith_A_Howe
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Try to keep us updated? I expect hourly details! Heck, just have Holly in the back of the rooms with cam corders on tripods with direct feed to my computer!

WOOO! Have a blast!

Holly says " a yea because everyone knows print crew just stands around all day!" :D

As for that last part. . . We intend to!
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I am here in Daytona. Everyone is anxious to start seeing some prints. My goal is to try and post some snapshots of the behind the scene activity, so you can all get a feeling for the size and scope of this competition.

We start at 8:30 tomorrow morning. I will try to keep everyone updated.

Keith

Hi Keith;

To show how huge an undertaking it all is, I hope you can post a wide angle of all the stacks of prints to give a feeling of how many come from all over the world.

Also helpful would be from behind the judges table showing the mini spots, the grey backdrop, and the print turntable. You can describe comp. lighting all day long but actually seeing it will help people I think.

I hope you eyes are treated with an incredible amount of artistic talents on display.

Jonathan_Brown
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
This is my first year entering the international print competition so I was wondering how long it usually takes them to post the accepted prints? I noticed last year it looks like the list came out in Sept. Would it be Sept this year as well?

Just wondering.

Leslie_Hoyt
07-21-2008, 07:40 PM
My first year too! I had it in my head it would be posted online by this weekend. Please tell me it isn't September!

Keith_A_Howe
07-22-2008, 05:18 AM
Ok Here are a few images to show a little of what its like here.

Here is Rick M. opening one of the carts loaded with images ready to move into one of the judging rooms. This is how they are transported. Dingwell and his crew in Lincoln unpack your cases, cataloge and numger all the prints and cases, Store the cases and sort the images. Any images that have the seal of approval from an affiliated judging are seperated from those with out seals. There are several carts of images here.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4355.jpg

We meet in this auditorium to be assigned our job for a period of time. Here is a snap of most of the judges and a few crew.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4357.jpg

The Lady in Red is Helen Yancy and the gentleman standing up front with here is Jim Dingwell. Helen assigns us to the different rooms and keeps things flowing. http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4366.jpg

Here is Jim Dingwell. He is all over the place keeping things running smoothly and making sure every thing is working like a well oiled machine. Sorry Jim for not getting a chance to do you justice but it is not like there is time to do anything more than a grab shot when we are not working.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4373.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
07-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Here is 2 more crew members, Cecil and Don sorting images by maker getting ready for the critique room.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4371.jpg
just a few of the stacks of prints for critique already after just 1 morning of judging. Oh yea there are 3 critique rooms and this is just one of them.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4369.jpg

Here is Ernie Johnson in the one critique room , It is set up with a softbox (in the upper R corner) a Video camera that fades in and we start the critique and fades out when we are done . We do not get to start over if we choke . . . so if I did one of your critiques and you hear me when my mouth goes dry from talking too much ,,, Im sorry.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4374.jpg

I got to judge cd albums this morning and I did critiques all afternoon and evening. I will try to show the judging booth set ups tomarrow. Holly is asleep behind me now and I am typing in the dark so if my spelling is worse than normal I am trying to hit the right keys but they seem to be re aranged on the computer tonight. I am headed to bed soon as well so i am ready for tomarrow.

Good Luck to all.
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
07-22-2008, 05:27 AM
Today we did Cd albums, Physical albums, and Loan for these, Have to finish loan int these catagories tomarrow am. There was a room doing EI and I think 3 rooms running Portrait Open non sealed images. We ran 2 critique rooms after lunch and we ran 3 critique rooms after about 3:00 this afternoon and evening. We find out at 8:00 tomarrow morning what we are assigned to for tomarrow morning. They mix the panels up to make sure there is as consistant and fair of judging in all the rooms as possible.
More on porcedures tomarrow.
Keith

Deb_Wat
07-22-2008, 05:33 AM
Thanks Keith. This is so cool! I think I saw my prints in the crate:rolleyes:

Stephanie_Millner
07-22-2008, 05:36 AM
I was able to pick you, Jack, and I think Doug Box out in the crowd pic. Anyone else we might know?

Keith_A_Howe
07-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Holly said she recognized a lot of names from the forum and recognized some of the images from things we had discussed on the competition thread. She can not tell me about any of the images or makers because the judging is still going on and you can not discuss prints between crew and judges or even between judges. After all there is a chance that judges may see images that were discussed in a loan panel and we would have to DQ our selves. So far I have not had to DQ myself. I did ask to have a forum members images critiqued by another judge because I had given my opinions on a couple of the images already over the forum and I wanted the maker to get another opinion. I did critique some other members images that I had not already seen or critiqued on already on the forum.
Keith

Linda_Gregory
07-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Amazing.

Not the comp stuff, although it is, but that you would do this for us, Keith, when you obviously should be resting!

Talk about keeping us informed and connected!

I thank you so much.

Andrea_Chapelo
07-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Ok, so I have been totally off the forums lately (been too busy for any fun) and I am such a dork I didn't even realize judging was this week.

Keith thank for posting this, it was really fun to see. This is my first year so I am so excited and nervous now that I realize it is actually going on this week.:o

Sandra_Pearce
07-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks Keith,

You should be sleeping. Thanks for giving us a first hand look. You are our Saint. I recognize the room. This is where we have our Florida School.

Sandra

Heather_L._Smith
07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Hahahaha.... I was doing all fine and dandy until I saw this thread... now I'm all nervous again! Yeah - thanks, Keith. (You know I wish I could be there!!)

D._Craig_Flory
07-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi Keith;

Thanks for posting these. I am sure they will help give some insight for those entering for the 1st time as well as those who have never actually been around judging as it goes on.

If anyone is intrigued by Keith's images, I suggest that you volunteer to help next year. If you can't make it to help at national, consider helping on print committee for your state group. You will enjoy it and learn a lot too.

Jonathan_Brown
07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
I would also like to encourage anyone interested to volunteer at your regional. We in Kentucky are hosting the Mideast Print Competition for the first time in Jan 09 and if anyone in this area is interested feel free to PM me and I can get you in touch with the Print Competition Committee Chair. I have served on the print committee for a little over a year now I have learned a lot. I think it really helped me in the competition.

The Mideast states is in Kentucky January 22 -29 for more information check out: http://www.kyppa.com

D._Craig_Flory
07-22-2008, 02:37 PM
I would also like to encourage anyone interested to volunteer at your regional. We in Kentucky are hosting the Mideast Print Competition for the first time in Jan 09 and if anyone in this area is interested feel free to PM me and I can get you in touch with the Print Competition Committee Chair. I have served on the print committee for a little over a year now I have learned a lot. I think it really helped me in the competition.

The Mideast states is in Kentucky January 22 -29 for more information check out: http://www.kyppa.com

Hi Jonathon;

As a member of PPAofPa, our regional is also Mid-East. It has always been held in Ohio but I heard it was going to start moving around to the other states. Thanks for posting that information.

Angela_Lawson
07-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks Keith for taking the time to give us all this information. Having not entered competition yet, it is nice to see how things really work.

Angela

Ashley_Short
07-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Keith,

Those images are really amazing. Thanks for taking the time to post them. By the way, this is crazy, but last night I actually had a dream about the competition and how it's organized. Didn't look anything like your photos! lol.

Dan_Leary
07-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Keith,
Thanks for posting... talk about an eye opener! Do you know when the results are posted or if their is anyway to find out if an image merited? I had a brain fart with my album and it had to be re-judged instead of receiving my sealed merit from Mid-East. It was my 4th merit. I think I'm going to have a panic attack if I have to wait til September to find out...

Linda_Gregory
07-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I can't be certain but I'm fairly sure we found out the results last year by the end of July, VERY fast for all the work that must be done. I know it was way before I expected to hear so please, DO breathe but if you can't breathe to deep, know you'll live. :)

Lori_Clapp
07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Keith, Thanks - that is amazing to see how much work everyone is doing! It helps me be a little more patient waiting for the results! And thanks to you and Holly and everyone else helping!!

Don_Chick
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Keith,

This is so AWESOME of you to post this for us on ourppa!! Thanks for taking the time.

I feel like I am at ringside now with these images, and that my babies are in good company!!

Lori_Clapp
07-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Keith hasn't posted since 5:17 this morning. Surely that means he and Holly have been busy compiling a list for all of us on how we did. I bet he will be posting it soon.

C'mon Keith - are you out partying or what? We know you aren't busy down there - give us some news!!! Tell Holly I will buy her a pair of shoes if she gets me some info!

DianeDavis
07-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Hey Everyone, I just heard I went 4 for 4 in the

not entering catagory. (AKA The Chicken Group)

Linda_Gregory
07-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Lori,

I'll visit the Karg Art Glass gallery with a credit card!

Dan_Leary
07-23-2008, 01:06 AM
DO breathe but if you can't breathe to deep, know you'll live. :)

I can't be sure... I feel like this album has a curse on it. LOOOONG story, but the abridged version is I went 4/4 at regionals but sent in a digital album with my traditional album seal. I thought they no longer accepted traditional albums... evidently they do. And evidently, they expect us to acutally read the rules! The nerve. Anyways, they accepted the entry, but it's not an automatic merit. I feel like someone has thrown a chicken bone voodoo curse on me...

Deb_Wat
07-23-2008, 01:29 AM
I can't take the suspense. I must have wine. :o

Heather_L._Smith
07-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Now, now, kids... let's all just settle down. In defense of poor Keith and Holly (who are too busy to defend themselves)... I think the ONLY way they would have ANY "news" to share would be if they just so happened to be in the exact room where one of our exact prints were being judged at the exact time it came around on the turntable. And, of course, that being said, they're sworn to secrecy, so they couldn't tell us anyway!

(wait until closer to midnight when they've both had their Olive Garden and are getting punchy on bread sticks... maybe they'll fess up then)

Linda_Gregory
07-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Holly?? Not defend herself?? *choke*

Yeah, we'll let 'em have dinner, THEN attack and what's this with having to be in the same room when the turntable goes around? What's wrong with going in the back and rifling through the prints, huh??

Heather_L._Smith
07-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Holly?? Not defend herself?? *choke*

Haha! I didn't say she COULDN'T defend herself... that she was too busy to defend herself! Haha.

(hehehe... love ya tons, Holly! (well, and you too, Keith))

Keith_A_Howe
07-23-2008, 03:25 AM
(wait until closer to midnight when they've both had their Olive Garden and are getting punchy on bread sticks And, of course, that being said, they're sworn to secrecy, so they couldn't tell us anyway!

Olive Garden was last night. Tonight was a great steak place called Stonewood Inn. You are right though, I cannot tell any results I know, that is a big huge no no. I could be put on probation as an affliate judge. Plus I do not see who the maker is, so unless I have seen your print before, I wouldn't know whose was whose. I did do some critiques today for familar names. I did pass off a critique to another judge because it was a maker from here that I have already talked with extensively. I felt they already knew my viewpoint and were better off getting a critique from another judge.
Holly knows more than I do. She and I can only talk about the prints that I already know who the maker is, so I already have to DQ myself. We do not discuss any prints that i have not already seen before coming here.

and what's this with having to be in the same room when the turntable goes around? What's wrong with going in the back and rifling through the prints, huh??
Uhm Linda, we aren't talking about going into a back room and rifling through a few stacks. This competition is spread out over an entire building on a college campus. We are talking literally thousands and thousands of prints. Aint no such thing as looking through the stacks, plus it is NOT allowed. That being said Holly did tell me she has seen at least a one print come through her room from each of the following people. Liz, Stephanie, Angela, Ben, Noelle, Mark L., Art, Deb W., Lori, Jack Reznicki, Rick Massarini and several others she can't remember right now. She has not seen any of Heather's , Jeff and Carolle's or mine. Just so nobody feels bad, I am right here and I have no idea what mine own prints have done. Now I am going to look at the snapshots I took today and see what I wanna post to show you guys. Back in a few!
Keith

Lori_Clapp
07-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Holly - GET BUSY! NO SLEEPING TONIGHT. There is snooping to be done, and from what Keith said, it's gonna' take you ALLLL night. You have thousands of prints to find and secretly remember the scores. We will all be waiting right here for your report.

Heather - they are never too busy to help us....they are the superheros of photography. They can leap tall buildings in a single bound, paint new backdrops in a patch of grass, find new backgrounds in a cluttered junkroom.....do you think Superman was ever too busy to save the world? Did WonderWoman ever not help someone because she had things to do? Get with the program. Super heros always do what needs to be done!

Linda_Gregory
07-23-2008, 04:11 AM
FINALLY a like minded forumite!

GO Holly, GO! You know it, you know it, GO Holly, GO! (Done in the best cheerleader singsong voice)

Keith_A_Howe
07-23-2008, 04:20 AM
Holly said it doesn't make any difference to her how your prints did, she's going to bed. So if you want her to burgle on your behalf your gonna hafta sweeten the offer. She say's good nite all!:)

Lori_Clapp
07-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Holly said it doesn't make any difference to her how your prints did, she's going to bed. So if you want her to burgle on your behalf your gonna hafta sweeten the offer. She say's good nite all!:)

Tell Holly I taped two boxes of chocolate to the back of all my prints. And a gift certificate for "shoes are us"!

Linda_Gregory
07-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Aw, you always think of the best bribes.

Deb_Wat
07-23-2008, 04:40 AM
OMG, I saw my name in Holly's list.

No sleeping now for sure.

Seriously, though, it is fun to hear the buzz of what's happening. Thank you Keith and Holly for adding a little spice to the day!

Keith_A_Howe
07-23-2008, 04:43 AM
Ok Here is the next set of images.

Here is one of the 4 judging rooms used for Portrait Open and Loan. The gentleman standing is one of the Jury Chairman by the name of Mark Garber with some of my fellow jurors seated at the table. The control box in front of each of the 6 judges has a simple yes no switch. Vote Yes if in favor of the image recieving a merit and No is against. Remember in the number system used at regionals it takes at least an 80 to be deserving of a merit. The jury chairman (JC) sets to the right of the panel between us and the curtin and turn table. There is 6 ft between the curtin and the judges. The 2 mini spots with barndoors, one at each corner of the table meters out at 100 ISO, 1 sec. F 16. There is a indicator box representing each juror set under the table and turned so only the JC can see it. If any juror gets up to look at an image close up, the JC will clear all scores so there is never a chance for other jurors to see how others have scored the image. In the case of a challange, ea. juror states how they scored the image then how they see the image. Those in favor state the positives and those against state the negitives. The challanger gets to have a rebutal to try to explain the points the opposition has given or to agree and change their vote. The crew (behind the curtin) places an image on the turntable (a 3 sided turntable so there is one side facing the front, one side facing back camera left and one side facing back camera right). The anouncer places an image on back camera right, announces the title as clearly and with as much inflection as possible then spins the table to place the image infront of the jurrors. We vote , discuss etc. and the JC announces Merit or does not merit. The process is repeated and the just scored image is rotated off to the camera left were a crew member removes the image, and if it is Not Merited, they mark it on the back and place it in a stack to go to sorting room. If it is Merited, it is marked and given to the room captain to record, inital and place in a stack to go to the loan panel room.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4387.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
07-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Every Judge is given 5 tokens to use when they are on a loan panel. If we see an image that we believe in but it does not go loan, we can give up one of our 5 tokens to put that image into the showcase book. Marathon limits how many images we are to be able to put into the book. This is what determines how many each judge gets to put in. This is such a fair way to determine the showcase book, If you have an image in the book, at least one judge and usually more, believed in the image for loan.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4368.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
07-23-2008, 04:54 AM
When you order a critique, each of your images and case number is recorded. As your images are finished judging, they are sorted and if you have a critique it is pulled and put in one of 3 different critique rooms. Where a juror goes over your images. You may have one juror do all of your images (if we have them all at one time) or you may have one of us critique 2 or 3 images and then have someone else finish your enties.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4376.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
07-23-2008, 05:01 AM
If you had a cd album entry it goes to one of the 2 cd rooms. There is a 30 inch apple cinama monitor that we judge the images on and we use the same 6 judge set up as with the prints. The crew represents a computer operator with the room chairman marking the paper work.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4384.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4385.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
07-23-2008, 05:06 AM
So we have 4 judging rooms, 2 cd rooms, 3 critique rooms a break room, an office, an auditorium, sorting room, storage room and the complete judging set up within the classroom for those takeing the judging class. There may be more rooms in use that I do not know about for the stuff that I never see. Well I am gonna join my dear sleeping wife and I will add more tomarrow.
Keith

Mark_Levesque
07-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the glimpse behind the scenes.

Andrea_Chapelo
07-23-2008, 01:07 PM
The suspense is building in Ohio,now that I know this is going on...when does it end? (I should probably know the answer, but then again I am the one who didn't realize it was this week and I also had no idea it was in Florida:o )

Heather_L._Smith
07-23-2008, 01:33 PM
You're too funny, Andrea! The judging will be done tomorrow.

And thanks, Keith! I had no idea that's how the showcase images were selected. That's pretty neat.

andiegoodman
07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Keith,

Thanks for all the information and the photos. I hope you are enjoying yourself in Daytona as well as working. Can't wait to see how everyone has done.

(Note to all) When your results are posted on the ppa website, let us know how you did on this thread,

Meanwhile, I will keep my fingers crossed for my 4 kids until then.

D._Craig_Flory
07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Now that all of you have seen how the area looks, where the prints come up, you can set up an area in your studios for viewing your images. You saw the grey cloth backdrop ... grey cloth or roll paper would work. Get two mini spots. (or do like I do and use your strobe modeling lights turned all the way up with small parabolics to make them as bright as possible so the light meter @ISO 100 reads F16 at 1 second) It helps a lot to have an area where you can see how your images look before sending. I even order 8x10's 1st to see how they look and to see if I want to make changes before getting 16X20s.

Look through Keith's images for ideas of how to set it up. You can sit prints on a chair or do like I do and put them on an easel.

Ashley_Short
07-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Keith,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your details have been absolutely amazing! I feel so informed, like you didn't miss a beat. I have several Loan and Showcase books and I've always wondered about that, too. Now it all makes sense...

Leslie_Hoyt
07-23-2008, 04:50 PM
I agree, thanks so much to Keith for the pictures and explanations of the process. Really helpful! This is my first time to send prints to nationals so am anxious to hear how my case did.

I still don't remember reading WHEN the list would be posted. I have heard rumors of everything from this weekend to September! Any clarification from those of you "in the know"?

Dan_Leary
07-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Keith,
I have gained a whole new respect for the entire process. And now I really feel like the Showcase images are something special. Not that I didn't think that before, but you know what I mean.

Cassandra_Sullivan
07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes thanks for going into so much detail for us. I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's results!

Charlotte_Dameron
07-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Ohhh dear God, I was soo calm and composed until I read this thread! I only had 2 images in my case, and I sent those because they had seal from SWPPA. I thought okay yeah whatever, I will send them get them back--no way are they going to loan, so I have no reason to be worried, but now I have read this entire thread and I am nervous for EVERYONE here including myself. I am rethinking everything I did! Did I fill out the paperwork correctly, did I sent the right inf ect ect ect UGGHHH?

Really--hmmmm I wil just go back to my corner and bite my nails.

Dan_Leary
07-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Charlotte,
I wouldn't worry about the paperwork... if their was something wrong I'm sure Jim Dingwell would have contacted you. He did me. Three times.

Lori_Clapp
07-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Charlotte,
I wouldn't worry about the paperwork... if their was something wrong I'm sure Jim Dingwell would have contacted you. He did me. Three times.

Dan, did you mess up 3 different times, or was your mistake so bad that he called you three times to yell at you? Lol, jk.:D :D

Charlotte_Dameron
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Charlotte,

Oh my gosh---what if they were sooo wrong that they didn't even warrant a contact? What if mine were THAT wrong? They just threw them to the side and said "there is no hope at all" shaking their heads as they put my case in the "bad egg" pile.

Oh Gosh--I need a refreshment of some sorts!

Okay I am a naturally dramatic person to say the least! LOL

Leslie_Hoyt
07-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Charlotte, I sent two sealed from SWPPA too, well sort of. I actually chose to NOT send in the sealed version of one of them, 'cause I had worked on a version I liked better, and I thought with the change there was a vague chance of going loan with it. So I gave up the bird in hand...so to speak, against everyone's advice!! Now I am second guessing myself of course! The other two I just sent to fill the case and I told myself I wouldn't worry about those....but of course now I am worried! Kind of wonder if it is worth all this stress.:)

Louise_St.Romain
07-23-2008, 09:57 PM
I have been trying not to get stressed out ... :eek:

Thank you Keith for showing us what goes on!

Dan_Leary
07-24-2008, 02:13 AM
Dan, did you mess up 3 different times, or was your mistake so bad that he called you three times to yell at you? Lol, jk.:D :D

Three different times. Only once was technically my doing... and I have no clue what I was thinking then.

Oh my gosh---what if they were sooo wrong that they didn't even warrant a contact? What if mine were THAT wrong? They just threw them to the side and said "there is no hope at all" shaking their heads as they put my case in the "bad egg" pile.

I would've thought they would do that with mine before phone call #3.:o

Deb_Wat
07-24-2008, 03:55 AM
It's almost that time where Keith posts...anticipation building.

Jack_Reznicki
07-24-2008, 04:47 AM
Just wanted to post about the judging class I attended this week. Peter Bauer who posts here also took the class. What a great class. We all learned a lot from Dennis Craft and Helen Yancy who both taught the class. The reviews from the students were all outstanding. The class was very enlightening and just a joy to take. We all "judged" each other's work. And then went and sat in on the regular judging. Any PPA member can come and sit in on the judging.
I got to see one of my prints merit and then later someone told me it went Loan.

Lot of fun this week. I highly recommend taking the judging class if you think you might ever want to judge.

Keith_A_Howe
07-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Hi all
I am downloading some images and will be back in a bit.

Jack_Reznicki
07-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Oh yeah, speaking of highlights, I got to see Keith do some judgin'.

Keith_A_Howe
07-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Here is the loan panel as good as I could get with my point and shoot.
You have the same turntable but the table is removed from infront of the judges. There was a tape line to represent the 6 ft line we were to be behind for the inital viewing. The table was removed to make it easier and faster for judges to get up to view an image closer. There were at least 10 judges on every loan panel. The JC - Bill Stevenson - is to the right of the turn table. He counts the thumbs up or down for loan.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4398.jpg

This is the room captain who records all results in a master book and initilas them. He also marks results on the back of each print and initials there also. This is our illustrous president Dennis Craft as room captain on a loan panel.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4394.jpg

Here is looking back at the two rows of judges. i couldn't get back far enough without knocking over the turntable to get them all in the frame

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4397.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
07-24-2008, 06:20 AM
This is Wilma Lewis. She enters all the results into the computer. Until she finishes, no results can be posted on the website. No one except Helen Yancy or Jim Dingwell is allowed in the room where she works. I had to have an escort to get in to take this picture!

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4388.jpg

This is the smaller of two main sorting rooms. This is the room with all merited images. Non merited images fill another larger room and ASP members loan prints are in a another room. I know some of you over eager types will probably copy this into PS, enlarge and try to find your name on the back of one of these print labels. Trust me - it's not worth it.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4400.jpg

We finished judging today. Tomorrow we will pack up everything for ship ment back to Nebraska. Results will be posted soon. Somone said last year they weren't posted until Septemeber which is not true. They were posted on the Friday following the end of judging. I doubt it will be that soon, but Jim Dingwell and Wilma Lewis do all they can to let you know as soon as possible. I just found out my own results at about 11:00 this evening, ( and they are just hearsay) so I don't feel sorry for any of you!!!!! I do know some of your results, Holly actually knows more, but we are not allowed to tell. I am exhuasted and going to bed.

Keith

Leslie_Hoyt
07-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks again Keith for the insider's view you provided! And thanks for letting us know we will hear results relatively soon.:)

Deb_Wat
07-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Wow

Everyone pray Wilma does not get sick tomorrow.

Thanks again Keith

Heather_L._Smith
07-24-2008, 01:38 PM
I know some of you over eager types will probably copy this into PS, enlarge and try to find your name on the back of one of these print labels.

What are you implying, Keith??? It works in the movies... "Zoom in. Enhance. Zoom in here. Enhance." It works like a charm every time - no pixelation or anything.

Linda_Gregory
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Did I see Dave Swoboda in that pic of the judges?? Would you PLEASE tell him 'hi' for me? He's changed his email address and when I emailed him after HOA it came back. Didn't see him there, either.

Keith, thank you SO MUCH for this insight. Having helped at HOA judging, some of it looks very familiar but so much else is going on there, education/trade show, I'm sure it's just not the same.

I remember packing after IUSA last year, this has got to be SO much more, all the merit images, all the non merit ones that belong to a merit...okay, I'm confusing myself. So glad someone else got it figured out!

Keith_A_Howe
07-24-2008, 01:41 PM
What are you implying, Keith??? It works in the movies... "Zoom in. Enhance. Zoom in here. Enhance." It works like a charm every time - no pixelation or anything.

But Heather, yea but Brad Pitt would play me so you see how true to life that is.

Keith_A_Howe
07-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Linda, Dave is here and has been my transportation most of the time. I will see about that email for ya.
Keith

Lori_Clapp
07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Keith, thank you for giving us a front row seat throughout all the judging. It is really interesting to see how it all works, and how much work goes into it! And we all appreciate the time you took to photograph it and get it posted, when you could have been fast asleep getting ready for the next day!

I can't believe we get the results as quickly as we do after seeing the thousands of prints! I hope Wilma doesn't make any typos. Well, unless they are in our favor!!!

Thanks!

Jeff_Dachowski
07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Keith,
Thanks so much for hijacking my thread.
Jeff

Lori_Clapp
07-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Looks like Jeff isn't getting enough attention in his thread. Poor little bunny.

Jeff, where have you been? Someone had to hijack it or it would have died! Lol.

Stephanie_Millner
07-24-2008, 03:30 PM
So cool, Keith! Thanks.

"Poor little bunny." - hahahaha

Michael_Barton
07-24-2008, 03:51 PM
You guys are driving me nuts! I've been cool this year and now, well, the pacing is infectious. Fortunately, things are really crazy this week! Next week is a little slower so if they don't get posted until after Wednesday I may be in trouble! Keith those are really great! What a resource! They let Ken Meade in? Ha! Glad to see that you are having a good time and still getting a lot out of it. I recognize a WHOLE bunch of people. Very cool. Now we know who to call and yell at. . . Also cool to hear that judging is finished. If you really think about it that's the most incredible part of the whole process. That's a lot of judging in a relatively short period of time. I am glad it's not my job to organize it! Many thanks to all involved. It's also great for the PPA to have this posted here. Thanks.

Jeff that's too funny! Well, to us. . . Ha!

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me. . ."

Ashley_Short
07-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Keith,

Thank you so much once again! This has become a very enlightening thread and I (with many others) really appreciate it!

I've been quite surprised to see some of the faces you've posted on here, too! Mark Garber is quite well known around here, so it was cool to see his picture posted, and I think I see Gregg Wurtzler in the photo you just posted of the judges. (He was one of my photography teachers... taught me tons!)

Anyway, thanks again!

Ashley

Don_Chick
07-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Keith,
Thanks so much for hijacking my thread.
Jeff

Ditto -

Yes, Keith, THANK YOU for hijacking this thread!!!!

Pooooor "little" bunny - :eek:

Noelle_Zaleski
07-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Ok, the suspense is KILLING ME!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Linda_Gregory
07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
hmm...who lives closest? Maybe Noelle needs to be put out of her misery?

Nah, it's not killing you, just shaving time off the end of your life!

Noelle_Zaleski
07-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Linda I just got my hair done, I may need to go back soon to get rid of the gray that is growing by the minute!!

I just want my very first merit, that's ALL!! PLEEEEZE

Mark_Levesque
07-24-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm sure you will get that, Noelle. And probably more than that. :)

Teri_Quance
07-24-2008, 09:07 PM
So, are we thinking this weekend it will post?

Lori_Clapp
07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
So, are we thinking this weekend it will post?

I don't think many of us are actually doing any "thinking", but HOPING they will post soon, yes!! I think I heard that it probably won't be until the beginning of next week though. But sometimes I make things up.

Teri_Quance
07-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks, Lori....

Good luck to everyone!

TQ

Leslie_Hoyt
07-24-2008, 10:32 PM
To hijack Jeff's thread even further, on the 2007 list of accepted prints on the PPA site, there is a designation of G, GB or L. What does that mean?? I am assuming the G's are merits, L's are loans, and GB is a merit that didn't go loan but is in the showcase book (a category I hadn't heard of until this week)??? I just want to know for when that 2008 list is posted (go Wilma!) in case my name shows up.:rolleyes:

Don_Chick
07-24-2008, 10:45 PM
You are correct.

G = General Collection, 1 merit
GB = General Collection Book, 1 merit, plus your image is published in the Showcase book. (book costs around $50)
L = Loan Collection, 2 merits, Image is published in the Loan Collection book. (book costs around $70)

Linda_Gregory
07-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Wilma now is an internationally famous woman of importance! I wonder if she realizes that since she's kept in a room and only gets visitors with escorts??

Leslie_Hoyt
07-24-2008, 11:02 PM
G = General Collection, 1 merit
GB = General Collection Book, 1 merit, plus your image is published in the Showcase book. (book costs around $50)
L = Loan Collection, 2 merits, Image is published in the Loan Collection book. (book costs around $70)

Thanks Don, that helps a bunch. I was guessing there was just one book, but clearly there are two. Sorry for being such a newby!

Don_Chick
07-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks Don, that helps a bunch. I was guessing there was just one book, but clearly there are two. Sorry for being such a newby!

You're welcome.

It's not a problem being a newbie asking questions. It's when you're a newbie and you think you know it all that there are issues and talking behind your back!!!:eek: :D

Jackie_Haggerty
07-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Wilma now is an internationally famous woman of importance! I wonder if she realizes that since she's kept in a room and only gets visitors with escorts??

You know that saying that goes something like "Were your ears burning?" when someone is talking about you?

I wonder if this thread has been giving Wilma a headache instead, with all fo the talk and the image viewing!! :eek:

Deb_Wat
07-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Okay,

It's official.

I cannot focus on anything else right now. Trying to stay realistic and telling myself not to expect anything, but then, thinking, "what if just one? Which one would I want it to be? Did I send the right images?"

Ugh!!!! Somebody talk me down from this craziness!:eek:

Don_Chick
07-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Deb, get a hold of yourself....

put the competition print down and step away from the door.....

Heather_L._Smith
07-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Did I send the right images?"

Well, all I can say, Deb, is there's always next year :D

You know, this was my first year entering nationals and, in all honesty, I'm really looking forward to seeing "the list" but moreso because I want to see how all my friends did. It would be great to do well myself (don't get me wrong, I do have an ego), but I'm so excited to see how my friends did, because I know how hard they worked. I knew going in that my prints were borderline to begin with, so my expectations were very, very low. But, I've seen what my friends have submitted and I know there's some amazing work among those folks, so my fingers are crossed that I see those names over and over again on the list. I'm in the "S's" so there are a lot of names I'll get to see before I (possibly) get to mine. Except for you, Liz Vance, you'll be after me :)

So, Deb, to pull you down off that ledge, know that there is absolutely nothing we can do now but wait. Grab a cup of coffee, or whatever your medication of choice is, sit back, and wait. As for me, I'll probably pop in a Disney movie (with the kids, of course!), make some popcorn, then head to bed early, just to make the night go faster.

I remember what it felt like after I took the CPP exam... pure torture waiting for the results. But once I turned in that pencil, there was nothing I could do. I knew I'd done all I could to prepare, I knew I'd done my best, and I knew that whatever happened from that point was beyond my control. THIS part (print comp), THIS year, is all gravy for me. I've reached some goals already this year that make me very proud of what I've done and the work I've had to do to get there - regardless of what that list says (again, don't get me wrong, I won't disagree with the judges if my name shows up on that list).

So, in a nutshell, know that you've done your very best, and if it isn't good enough this year, you've got something to work even harder for next year. And, if it is good enough, then you've still got something to work even harder for next year.

Dan_Leary
07-25-2008, 12:36 AM
I should've bought stock in Tums...

Don_Chick
07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
I should've bought stock in Tums...

Ginger root is much better at curing that problem and it's all natural. Don't forget to peal the skin off first!

Ashley_Short
07-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Heather, that was very calming. Thanks for the post.

Sandra_Pearce
07-25-2008, 01:23 AM
I had an email this afternoon telling me someone helping at the judging saw what three of my prints did. I am afraid to believe them until I see with my own eyes. I don't know whether it is really me or not so I will have to just wait.

Sandra

Deb_Wat
07-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Deb, get a hold of yourself....

put the competition print down and step away from the door.....

LOL, that should read, step away from the computer which is what I'm going to do.

Deb_Wat
07-25-2008, 01:52 AM
So, in a nutshell, know that you've done your very best, and if it isn't good enough this year, you've got something to work even harder for next year. And, if it is good enough, then you've still got something to work even harder for next year.

So true! Thank you.

My mediation of choice tonight will be a little vino and little snack.

Cheri_MacCallum
07-25-2008, 02:01 AM
I had an email this afternoon telling me someone helping at the judging saw what three of my prints did. I am afraid to believe them until I see with my own eyes. I don't know whether it is really me or not so I will have to just wait.

I'm in the same boat. I was told some good news too, but not getting too excited till I see it in print.

Sandra_Pearce
07-25-2008, 02:06 AM
Cheri,

We will just hope it is true. Be sure and let me know the good news.

Sandra

Cheri_MacCallum
07-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Will do...you too!!! I'm looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!

andiegoodman
07-25-2008, 03:16 AM
I'm in the same boat. I was told some good news too, but not getting too excited till I see it in print.

Gee, no one e-mailed me. :( I guess I will just have to wait until the scores are posted.

Liz_Vance
07-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Don't feel bad, Andie. Nobody has emailed me, either. Looks like another merit-free year. <sigh>

Sandra_Pearce
07-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Andie & Liz,
I had rather wait and know for sure. It was a total surprise to get the email and get my hopes up and not know if it is for real. It doesn't mean you won't get good news.

Sandra

Jeff_Dachowski
07-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Did anyone notice that the results are posted already?
Jeff

Jk

Cheri_MacCallum
07-25-2008, 03:37 AM
You are evil!

Don_Chick
07-25-2008, 03:39 AM
I hit refresh every minute and they weren't there a minute ago.... I'll be up all night, but let everyone know just as soon as they are posted.

Deb_Wat
07-25-2008, 03:43 AM
skipped the wine and went straight for the martini.

Let's hear it for Wilma!!! Go Wilma, go Wilma.

Mark_Levesque
07-25-2008, 03:48 AM
I think it's really awful that they are all sitting in a bar, reading this thread and deciding how long to torture us before they post. Tarbender, another round of marshinis for all my friends. Hic.

Linda_Gregory
07-25-2008, 03:49 AM
You guys need to getalife! LOL!

Oh, that's right, you have them, they're just centered on COMP results!!!!

Lori_Clapp
07-25-2008, 03:52 AM
I think it's really awful that they are all sitting in a bar, reading this thread and deciding how long to torture us before they post. Tarbender, another round of marshinis for all my friends. Hic.

This is the only time in our entire lives that we will see typos in one of Mark's posts.

John_Stein
07-25-2008, 03:52 AM
I keep getting this feeling that by this time tomorrow night some people are going to be singing the 1966 hit "They're coming to take me away"

Noelle_Zaleski
07-25-2008, 03:57 AM
Jeff

Jk

That's NOT NICE!!:eek:

Don_Chick
07-25-2008, 04:08 AM
You guys need to getalife! LOL!

Oh, that's right, you have them, they're just centered on COMP results!!!!

Oh Linda.... this IS our life!!!! And wouldn't change a thing.....

Well maybe a couple things....:eek: :D

Heather_L._Smith
07-25-2008, 04:20 AM
My husband says we're nerds.

Keith_A_Howe
07-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Actually I would not have been surprised if the results had gone up tonight. We worked our badoobies off today. We started the day by tearing down the rooms - 4 judging rooms, 3 critique rooms, 2 CD album rooms and two judging class set up rooms. Then we moved on to checking every single merit, loan and showcase print against the master list to make sure everything was recorded correctly on the back of the print and in the computer. Of course with THOUSANDS of prints it was a mamoth job. Once every single print was double checked AND sorted in numerical order we started loading the shipping crates with prints and equipment. We completely finished everything at 4:30 this afternoon. That was with no breaks and no lunch. Everyone was mentally physically and emotionally exhausted. I know this is sounding my own horn also but you all should know that the people who judged walked away today with a check for $xxx. From that money comes your airfare, your hotel and your meals for the 5 days. The check does not cover it. It cost me out of pocket to to be here, without even counting the lost revenue from the studio. There were 42 judges here all with the same set of expenses I had. Then you get to the crew - the volunteers - they got zip. So their entire expense for being here and working like slaves all week came from their own pockets. I know I am among them and I am not asking for appreciation for myself - but everyone of you that entered prints owe these people a big thank you. If you were to put it in writing and send it to Jim Dingwell that would be a good idea. jdingwell@ppa.com

Now on to what you guys REALLY want . . . pictures! You thought I was gonna say results didn't you???

Double checking against master list

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4418.jpg

Loading crates - an assembly line process because they have to stay in order
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4423.jpg

A couple full crates - each one holds about 800 prints

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4420.jpg

Jim dingwell attatching shipping labels
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4427.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
07-25-2008, 04:26 AM
Your babies are on their way to their temporary home
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4426.jpg

shrink wrapped to protect against any rain damage if these end up sitting on a loading dock somewhere in route to Lincoln
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4425.jpg

Rick has an image of the last few people who stayed till the bitter end to finish packing. Hopefully he will post it.

As far as my results. I did ok.

Keith

Don_Chick
07-25-2008, 04:27 AM
but everyone of you that entered prints owe these people a big thank you.

THANK YOU!!!

Deb_Wat
07-25-2008, 04:32 AM
thankkkkikkkkkkk

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith_A_Howe
07-25-2008, 04:34 AM
Don and Deb, That's great - but most of the judges and volunteers do not participate here. thta's why I just updated my post to include Jim's email. I am sure if you send it to him he will forward it on to his judges and crew.

Keith

Lori_Clapp
07-25-2008, 05:10 AM
I e-mailed my letter of thanks to Jim Dingwell. Now is only you had given us Wilma's e-mail, I might have done a little better with my results!

Peter_Bauer
07-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Keith's not kidding -- each of the judges AND volunteers who do print handling and all the many tasks that arise -- pay their own expenses and are not reimbursed. It actually costs you money to be a judge at the PPA International Print Competition. Why do they do it? Based on the conversations I had this week, it's not for money (it's a double-negative on the balance book when you consider revenue lost over time spent). It's not for fame (I spent four days with these folks and would be hard-pressed to recognize half of them at ImagingUSA). It's not for merits toward a degree (many of these folks will choke themselves if they need to add another bar to their ribbons). It's service -- they do it for US -- you and me, the people reading this post -- the folks who have not yet earned our Masters, or who want to earn another bar.

I now, having been there, truly understand that it's an honor to be invited to be a Juror at the International Print Competition. But I also recognize that it's a labor of love to ACCEPT that invitation, and spend a week in Florida, in July, in rooms that may or may not be air conditioned, reviewing thousands of prints, to help us, you and me, earn our Master of Photography degrees and so stand shoulder-to-shoulder with these colleagues who do so much, without pay, to help us advance.

My hat is off to the judges (including Keith) and the volunteers (including Rick) and the professional staff (including Jim) who make the International Print Competition a reality!

Pete

Deb_Wat
07-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Don and Deb, That's great - but most of the judges and volunteers do not participate here. thta's why I just updated my post to include Jim's email. I am sure if you send it to him he will forward it on to his judges and crew.

Keith

It's bent sent!

Teri_Quance
07-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Thank you to all...

TQ

Liz_Vance
07-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Jeff

You are a mean, mean, man. :p

Heather_L._Smith
07-25-2008, 05:28 AM
You are a mean, mean, man. :p

You can tell just by looking at that avatar.

Leslie_Hoyt
07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
OK not to be too psycho about this, but the PPA site says "The results from the International Print Competition will be announced during the first week of August, 2008." I don't remember seeing that there yesterday! Does that mean it will seriously not be posted until at least a week from tomorrow??? Should I stop hitting the refresh button? :D

Keith_A_Howe
07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
OK not to be too psycho about this, but the PPA site says "The results from the International Print Competition will be announced during the first week of August, 2008." I don't remember seeing that there yesterday! Does that mean it will seriously not be posted until at least a week from tomorrow??? Should I stop hitting the refresh button? :D

I am sort of thinking that is the same thing we all do in our business- under promise and over deliver. You are promised to see them at least by the first week in August. I would be truly surprised if it takes that long.

Keith

Linda_Gregory
07-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Keith, you really need to sleep, buddy!

(Look who's talking)

Linda_Gregory
07-25-2008, 09:28 AM
but, if you've gone, who's giving Wilma her coffee??

Keith_A_Howe
07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Keith's not kidding -- each of the judges AND volunteers who do print handling and all the many tasks that arise -- pay their own expenses and are not reimbursed.

Pete - in the interest of accuracy the judges do get an expense check. I was being vague with the amount when I said $xxx. But I will tell you when my hotel bill was slippecd under the door this AM - the amount left over in my expense check was less than half my airline flight cost. So it is right that it costs to be here and that the volunteers get NO pay at all.

What Pete is 100% accurate about is the reason why all these people do this.

Keith

Noelle_Zaleski
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Wow Kieth!! It is so good to really see behind the scenes.

Thank you!!!!

Andrea_Chapelo
07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
So it is all over and now I am getting ansy.....Wishing I was still unaware of the fact it was going on this week...heck I didn't even know it was in Fl...I thought it was in Atlanta....ignorance was bliss while it lasted.:D

Can't wait to see how all of my friends did!

Jack_Reznicki
07-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Last year the results went up over that weekend and some minor problems came up. I heard they were going to be extra careful and perfect this year. So while they try and get the results up as fast as possible because they know everyone is waiting, it may not be up as fast as it was last year.
It's a lot of work and a lot of data.

Noelle_Zaleski
07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks Jack, I guess wishing them there will not help.:D

Rick_Massarini
07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
The PEC is going to try to get the information up on the website as soon as possible. Last year they posted basically the same thing on the website as to the date the information would be posted, but they had the information on line before I could drive back home to New Orleans from Dayona.

We can't tell any of you any results we know until they are officially posted. The PEC swore all of the volunteers to silence !!! Sorry 'bout that, but it shouldn't be too long before they're on line....

Everybody give Keith a BIG round of applause !!! Not only did he judge and critique, but he also found time to keep all of you posted ! GREAT job on the photo posts (but ya coulda made me look skinny... LOL).

I have a few more photos that I'll post when I get back home and off the hotel lobby computer. keith - PM me and let me know how you got them to be so BIG ! Thanks...

Jack_Reznicki
07-25-2008, 03:01 PM
And a big round for Rick. He was one of the experienced volunteers that kept things working. I can't say enough as to how hard and passionately he worked at this event.

Charlotte_Dameron
07-25-2008, 06:01 PM
And a big round for Rick. He was one of the experienced volunteers that kept things working. I can't say enough as to how hard and passionately he worked at this event.

Rick also helped me out SOOOO very much during SWPPA giving me information on how competition works and such.

Thank You Rick for all that you do!

Charlotte

Debra_Collins
07-25-2008, 07:02 PM
I helped out in Tampa with the much smaller stack of prints displayed and have to say that Jim and Rick are amazing!! Their organization of the process is fantastic. They both kept things moving and were on top of everything. They do a great job at a very hard task. Thanks a lot to everyone and my e-mail is off to Jim too.

Don_Chick
07-25-2008, 09:59 PM
It's 5 pm on a Friday.... Do you know where your print competition results are?

I can't believe we're going into the weekend on this.......

Don_Chick
07-25-2008, 10:02 PM
If PPA got $1 for every time I hit refresh today.... my dues would be paid-up for a couple years....

andiegoodman
07-25-2008, 10:39 PM
If PPA got $1 for every time I hit refresh today.... my dues would be paid-up for a couple years....

Like you have to really worry...................:D

Heather_L._Smith
07-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Hahaha... yes, Andie.... but some folks (ahem...DON) want to know how GOOD they did while others just want to know if they came through unscathed.

Kim_Critchfield
07-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm with Heather. The stress is amazing.....

Ashley_Short
07-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Just a guess, but I think they're going to make everyone wait till Monday. I bet they do enjoy watching people squirm! ;)

Jackie_Haggerty
07-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Heather- you are in the Atlanta area, so head out down to PPA Headquarters and press your face to the glass window or door. I bet if you tell them you are going to be there until they post the results. Go the whole nine yards- piggy nose prints, puffy cheeks, hands pressed, and maybe if you do it long enough they will get them up so you go away. :D

Did anyone else notice that Wilma had a box of bandaids behind her left shoulder. I bet they were for her fingertips from typing too fast!

Heather_L._Smith
07-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Heather- you are in the Atlanta area, so head out down to PPA Headquarters and press your face to the glass window or door. I bet if you tell them you are going to be there until they post the results. Go the whole nine yards- piggy nose prints, puffy cheeks, hands pressed, and maybe if you do it long enough they will get them up so you go away. :D

Hahaha... I could sing & dance... now THAT would get them to hurry up.

Don_Chick
07-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Hahaha... yes, Andie.... but some folks (ahem...DON) want to know how GOOD they did while others just want to know if they came through unscathed.

Sure I want to know about my prints but, honestly, I want to see how well my friends here on ourppa did too...:)

How many print comp threads have we (mostly Keith :) ) labored over to offer suggestions and ways to improve the images. Now we get to see the results of all that effort over the past year.

Noelle_Zaleski
07-25-2008, 11:31 PM

:D :D :D :D

Not me..........

Charlotte_Dameron
07-26-2008, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=Don Chick;168370]If PPA got $1 for every time I hit refresh today.... my dues would be paid-up for a couple years....

Yup me too!

But the good news is that I got soooo frustrated with waiting, refreshing, waiting refreshing, that I banned myself from the internet and ended up getting an entire album designed. Now that I am done, here I am again waiting, refreshing, waiting refreshing later it will turn into Waiting, refreshing, waiting, refreshing, drinking, waiting, refreshig ect ect ect

Keith_A_Howe
07-26-2008, 12:30 AM
OK OK!! I am probably gonna get in a lot of trouble but here are the results

Some prints hung, some didn't

Some were chosen for the Showcase book, some weren't

Some went loan, some didn't

I know which crate mine are in

Holly is owed several boxes of chocolate

That's about it in a nutshell. . .

Keith

Teri_Quance
07-26-2008, 01:22 AM
You are a funny man... funny, funny, funny!

Art_Wright
07-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Ummm, thanks, I think...

Liz_Vance
07-26-2008, 01:35 AM
So I was minding my own business, living life, happily forgetting about print comp (because if it's not right in front of me, it may as well not exist). Until someone (HEATHER!!) reminded me. And now I'm following this thread and getting all anxious! Oh, to be oblivious once again...

-e

Keith_A_Howe
07-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Oh, to be oblivious once again...

-e

I know a guy . . . that could probably be arranged.

Keith

Michael_Barton
07-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Try a little Grey Goose. . . That'll take your mind off of things. Then again. . . This thread is TOO fun to watch! Ha. Rationally speaking though, is anyone seriously sitting in front of a computer posting results at 9 PM on a Friday? Wait, that's thinking rationally! Then again, stranger things have happened. I'm glad it's not my job to compile and post the list.

andiegoodman
07-26-2008, 03:04 AM
OK OK!! I am probably gonna get in a lot of trouble but here are the results

Some prints hung, some didn't

Some were chosen for the Showcase book, some weren't

Some went loan, some didn't

I know which crate mine are in

Holly is owed several boxes of chocolate

That's about it in a nutshell. . .

Keith

Keith, you are SOOO funny.

Don_Chick
07-26-2008, 03:21 AM
I thought I could back door the print comp results by checking my merit report....didn't work either.....

Keith_A_Howe
07-26-2008, 03:29 AM
s (but ya coulda made me look skinny... LOL).

Glad to oblige!
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/IMG_4355B.jpg

Don_Chick
07-26-2008, 03:32 AM
My husband says we're nerds.

I meant to comment on this 24 hours ago.... Nerds of a feather, blog together!

Keith, What happened to Rick?

Deb_Wat
07-26-2008, 03:36 AM
Try a little Grey Goose. . . That'll take your mind off of things. Then again. . . This thread is TOO fun to watch! Ha. Rationally speaking though, is anyone seriously sitting in front of a computer posting results at 9 PM on a Friday? Wait, that's thinking rationally! Then again, stranger things have happened. I'm glad it's not my job to compile and post the list.

It could happen

Keith_A_Howe
07-26-2008, 03:38 AM
Keith, What happened to Rick?

He wanted me to make him look skinny . . . and like I said on the last day they didn't let us break for lunch, we worked straight through so we all lost a little weight . . . Plus Rick has some images of me on his camera so I am trying to do as he askes so he will be kind when he postes his photos.

Don_Chick
07-26-2008, 03:40 AM
So I check into my web mail program and see this email subject line from PPA...

From: PPA <ppa@ppa.com> Subject:Imaging USA: You've Gotta Get Here!

I figure, YEA Baby!!! They are finally telling me the print comp results via email. I figure it's a heads up from PPA because they are telling me I need to come for the awards ceremony.... but no.... It's just a generic email to get me to Pheonix..

They shouldn't send emails like that until AFTER they post the results...

Don_Chick
07-26-2008, 03:41 AM
Plus Rick has some images of me on his camera so I am trying to do as he askes so he will be kind when he postes his photos.

Rick seems like such a nice guy... I am sure he won't post anything unflattering! :eek: :D

Liz_Vance
07-26-2008, 03:43 AM
I thought I could back door the print comp results by checking my merit report....didn't work either.....

I did this, too!

But there's always the possibility that my results will be posted under the mystery number I submitted them under (the one that is not actually my PPA member number). I'm waiting to see how that plays out. (And yes, I did call them, but you never know. :)

-e

Keith_A_Howe
07-26-2008, 03:44 AM
Geesh - 18 people viewing this thread - it's like a feeding frenzy. the sharks on Daytona beach were not this anxious.

Linda_Gregory
07-26-2008, 03:53 AM
Rick! You're HALF the guy I remember!

Okay, so get busy and all this won't affect you so much! I've been run ragged today and finally, am at the lab, gathering up a few things I couldn't throw in the car during the torrential downpour we had around 5 when I had to head to the gallery for the Make A Wish deal.

Now to gather strength to get up and go home for the WEEEEK end!

And learn to sit and hit refresh. <g>

A BIG congratulations to all who entered. It's not if you win or lose, but what you learn on the way!

Barf. Did I say that? WHAT"S MY TALLY????

Deb_Wat
07-26-2008, 03:57 AM
Someone needs to stream the song by Carly Simon (?) Anticipation.

MarieLeslie
07-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Ok, Jeff. I have to agree with Cheri. You are evil. :( I've been on the road all day (12 hours with stops), come home to a cranky hubby and a messy house and I open my e-mail and there's your post. Ack!!

It's gonna be a looong weekend.

Heather_L._Smith
07-26-2008, 04:09 AM
So I was minding my own business, living life, happily forgetting about print comp (because if it's not right in front of me, it may as well not exist). Until someone (HEATHER!!) reminded me. And now I'm following this thread and getting all anxious! Oh, to be oblivious once again...

-e

Sorry, friend. You know I'll call you as soon as the results are posted, though! I realized this morning, though, that poor Noelle Z will be after us on the list...

Peter_Bauer
07-26-2008, 04:21 AM
Having been there, I must say that I expect results to be posted as soon as they can be verified. There's nothing sadistic or malicious about that group -- far from it! If you can imagine the North Pole two weeks before Christmas, you'll pretty much get the feel for the International Print Competition. Yeah, some of us deserve coal in our stockings, but they really want to give gifts as earned.

Let me say in advance, congratulations to all who merited -- and double congrats to those whose prints went loan!

Pete

Cassandra_Sullivan
07-26-2008, 04:24 AM
Sorry, friend. You know I'll call you as soon as the results are posted, though!

Okay - so where are the results posted? What page are you all refreshing? What's the link??!!!??

Mark_Levesque
07-26-2008, 04:29 AM
Help me understand how they can be verified more than "checked and rechecked", now that the prints themselves have been crated and sent on their way to Nebraska? At some point you've gotta post the list as it is, and if corrections need to be made, then they get made. When is it perfect enough?

Sarah_Johnston
07-26-2008, 04:31 AM
Wow, This is crazy! I just got home tonight from Daytona. Keith I am so glad to see you have kept everyone well informed around here. My knees are still soar from kneeling on the floor double checking case #s and prints.
We all worked our tails off yesterday packing things up! PPA knows just how anxious everyone is. They just don't want to post something incorrectly. How mad would you be if they said you did better or worse than you actually had? I had it happen to me some time back, I was a tad upset!
I will say, Daytona was amazing! I had the honor of judging some beautiful work, and meeting and working with some incredible people! It was both an honor and a privilege to have been invited! One I will not soon forget.

Linda_Gregory
07-26-2008, 04:39 AM
It's my understanding there were a few mistakes last year. Is Wilma new this year?

Mistakes happen but yes, it's best to try to make it perfect first, just don't ask for patience AND common sense!!!

Heather_L._Smith
07-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Okay - so where are the results posted? What page are you all refreshing? What's the link??!!!??

Here you go, Cassandra:

http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=122

(from the main PPA.com page, click "Int'l Print Competition" on the left menu nav bar. On the new page it shows 2007 List of Accepted Prints as a pdf document on the right hand side.) We're waiting for that to change to 2008 List of Accepted Prints :)

Michael_Barton
07-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Heck, it's more fun seeing people here post and refreshing here to see how nutty you guys are than refreshing the Comp results page! Cheers everyone! I'd say you're all winners for entering, but then again not everyone entered. And, well, you're not going to sleep no matter what, so, heck, you're all winners because you are a member of the PPA! All kidding aside, in the crazy world of photography these days it's great to see so many people looking out for each other and well, refining their skills! How much information can possibly be packing in one thread. Amazing. AND to top it off, at Jeff's expense!!! Ha.

Can't wait to see how everyone did. I'm sure there'll be some celebrating, and happy drinking instead of nervous drinking. . . What do you bet that I'll see the scores when I wake up with 30 pages of excitement?! It'll be soon any way. Best to all!

Rick_Massarini
07-26-2008, 07:09 AM
It's my understanding there were a few mistakes last year. Is Wilma new this year?

Wilma is the only volunteer who has been at the National Judging for more years than I have. She is the person who handles the entry of all the data and results into the computer. She's been a volunteer at print competitions (first regional, then national) for over 30 years in a row !!! No one is more dedicated and more determined that everything be as perfect as possible than she is ! Hopefully, we got everything right, but we are all human, and there's always that human element that we can't eliminate, so there will always be imperfections... but we try...

Rick_Massarini
07-26-2008, 07:17 AM
After seeing that revised photo of me my wife put me on that lettuce and tuna diet... Oh well, No more UNO burgers... or fatal deserts ...

Andrea_Chapelo
07-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow, this thread is so funny :) Soooo glad I was at my daughter's dance competition for 10 hours and didn't have a chance to think about "the list".

Keith_A_Howe
07-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Rick is right, Wilma has been around longer than ANYONE. The mistakes last year were NOT from anything Wilma did. The mistakes were from PPA trying to do what you guys wanted and post the results ASAP. Going public too soon resulted in more misposted results than acceptable. So this year they are taking a little longer and making sure everything is correct as they can make it before it goes up. FWIW Jim Dingwell and PEC were still there all day yesterday for a meeting. They aren't all at home relaxing and letting you guys stew. Also the four lists we used to check against prints were in numerical order by print case number, which was not the same number as assigned when you registered online. All that info from 4 different numerical lists has to be now reformatted into one alphabetical list. I am sure even with all the care taken there will still be a few slips. We are all only human. Mark on the other hand is perfect all the time, so I vote that next year Mark has to go work at national competition. LOL!

Keith

Linda_Gregory
07-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh Keith, I'm sure you're wrong.

They're sitting there, with the completed list, ready to hit 'enter' to upload them but are finding way too much enjoyment watching this thread, not wanting it to end and snickering over our angst!

Okay, so I know better but it's still fun to think about!

Rick_Massarini
07-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Mark on the other hand is perfect all the time, so I vote that next year Mark has to go work at national competition. LOL!

Keith

I give a thumbs up to Keith's position - Mark should come to the nationals next year and work the print crew with us !!!!

Keith_A_Howe
07-26-2008, 03:15 PM
FWIW - If i remember correctly from previous years, the link to the list shows up right on the home page, you don't have to go into the competition area to get it. I think that link stays on the home page for a few weeks. then when it's "old news" it is still available under competition but it's not front and center anymore.

I have 7 sessions today. Ii can't wait to see what paranoia you guys have worked yourself into when I can look at this again at the end of the day.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
07-26-2008, 03:59 PM
When I got home really late last night I was tempted to put up a big "They're posted!" on the forum - but I rethought it and decided that would just be cruel... but it would have been fun...

Art_Wright
07-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Not so much Rick; this is my first print competition, ever... I had a dream last night that two went Loan. I guy can dream, no?

Lori_Clapp
07-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know what Wilma does the rest of the year? Is she a photographer? Does she just rest the rest of the year or what?

John_Derry
07-26-2008, 04:19 PM
While I'm itching to see the results, I was one of the folks that was a vicitm of last year's quick listing...

The list came out and I wasn't among the happy General and Loan recipients. Oh well, do better next year, I thought. A few weeks later, my critique DVD arrived and I—rather discouragingly—popped it in to see what had gone wrong.

The first thing the two judges doing the critique said was, "Congratulations on your Loan print!". Huh?!!!

I contacted Jim Dingwell. He did a check on the back of the print, and sure enough, it had gone Loan.

Thank goodness I ordered the critique or I may have never got that Loan credit.

So, I'm happy to wait a bit longer this year!

-john

Mark_Levesque
07-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Mark on the other hand is perfect all the time, so I vote that next year Mark has to go work at national competition.
Ever seen a shark after it's been hit with a bang stick? Swims weakly in a descending spiral, trailing blood? Yeah.

Don_Chick
07-27-2008, 02:39 AM
I thought Keith was talking about Mark Garber?

Keith_A_Howe
07-27-2008, 02:54 AM
I thought Keith was talking about Mark Garber?

Nope Mark Garber knows what he did, same as me.

Keith

Don_Chick
07-27-2008, 03:01 PM
I figured... as Mr. Garber was in at least one of the pictures you posted...

Keith_A_Howe
07-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Just wanted to bring this to the front again. If any of you are feeling so inclined and haven't done it yet, it would be really nice if you were to send Jim Dingwell a nice Thank You email he could forward to PEC and the judges. If we get enough emails we might be able to make Jim cry! Here's his link

jdingwell@ppa.com

Keith

Noelle_Zaleski
07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
No problem Kieth!!

OHHH THE AGONY!!!:eek: ;)

Peter_Bauer
07-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow, this thread is so funny :) Soooo glad I was at my daughter's dance competition for 10 hours and didn't have a chance to think about "the list".

Hope the dance comp went well. And speaking of funny, has anyone noticed the number of posts and views for this thread when compared to any of the other threads on OurPPA.com? Wow!

Pete

Heather_L._Smith
07-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Hahaha.... if we're not careful, it might exceed our "HAGGERTY, FUZZY, GARBER, FULTON, OH MY!" thread.

Keith_A_Howe
07-27-2008, 08:26 PM
WOW
4982 views, oh my!
thanks Peter for pointing that out!
Keith

Liz_Vance
07-27-2008, 11:39 PM
So every time someone writes "Mark Garber" I picture Victor Garber, and keep thinking, wow, that guy from Alias is a photographer, too?

Keith_A_Howe
07-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Ok, this is not fun anymore. I was fine for awhile, knowing my own results and also how a lot of my friends did. But now it's no fun when you can't celebrate with the people who did well and encourge some others to try again because they were really close. It's time for those scores to show up!

Don_Chick
07-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Yea, yea..... what Keith said...... !! Did it work? I'll hit refresh again. I am sure that someone at PPA could post them at 9pm on a Sunday night...

Andrea_Chapelo
07-28-2008, 02:37 AM
Keith since you know yours you could tell us and we could help celebrate with you.;)

Maybe we will be lucky and they will be up tomorrow. Gosh, will I be this nervous every year?

Rick_Massarini
07-28-2008, 03:05 AM
If he tells you - he'll have to kill you !!! Just like in the CIA...
Howe, (pause) Keith Howe --- just like... Bond, James Bond...

Hey, we could start a whole new trend - instead of having Bond girls we could have How girls...
nah, that doesn't sound nice at all...

Don_Chick
07-28-2008, 03:31 AM
Hey, we could start a whole new trend - instead of having Bond girls we could have How girls...
nah, that doesn't sound nice at all...

Why not? There was a Camp Howe earlier this year!!!

Peter_Bauer
07-28-2008, 03:35 AM
Hey, Rick, I now almost wish I'd slipped you a little something to check my scores! ;-)

Actually, some of my classmates at the Judging Clinic were trying to pressure Dennis into looking up their scores and I, at the time, had no interest in learning early -- I was there for the Clinic. But now that I'm home, well, I still wouldn't want to know before everyone else -- but I do think that "before" needs to be over with soon.

I know that Jim and the gang having been doing everything possible to ensure that the results (let me rephrase "accurate results") are posted as soon as possible.

Any second now.... That's right, any second now..... I'm sure it's just moments away....

Pete

Lori_Clapp
07-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Keith, How about if you post what the results that you know, in code! Then if we are able to decipher it, it's not like you actually told us - it's more like we figured it out!

Dan_Leary
07-28-2008, 03:39 AM
Ok, this is not fun anymore. I was fine for awhile, knowing my own results and also how a lot of my friends did. But now it's no fun when you can't celebrate with the people who did well and encourge some others to try again because they were really close. It's time for those scores to show up!

YEAH! Enough with the common sense and reasoning! Chop-chop... :D

Peter_Bauer
07-28-2008, 03:44 AM
Seriously, just for a moment, everyone did see the "first week in August" target date for results, right?
Pete

Jackie_Haggerty
07-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Seriously, just for a moment, everyone did see the "first week in August" target date for results, right?
Pete

Yes, Peter, but if we paid attention to the target date then this thread wouldn't be any fun at all!

Ben_Leavitt
07-28-2008, 03:49 AM
Pete
Yes Peter, and "your print order will be done in 2-3 weeks!"
I'm not so sure photographers believe they'll actually have to wait until an actual target date... do you?

I'm pretty hopeful it's going to be... tomorrow?

Peter_Bauer
07-28-2008, 03:54 AM
Just don't want anyone forgetting and, thereby, getting mad at Jim & Co.
Pete

Leslie_Hoyt
07-28-2008, 04:45 AM
It is way late and I don't know why I am bothering hitting "refresh" one more time! So now I will concentrate on the definition of "the first week of August". Does that mean the first week that HAS an August date, or the first FULL week in August???

OK, I'm just kidding. Mostly! Geez, why do we do this to ourselves? As they say, at this point "it is what it is"!