PDA

View Full Version : Charged extra by UPS for print case

Heather_L._Smith
05-31-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm throwing this out there to see if it's happened to anyone else...

I just got an email from UPS saying they would be charging me $8.00 extra because my package was not in a cardboard container. My print case was purchased specifically because it can be shipped (I actually had to buy a brand new case because my old case wasn't PPA approved, and WOULD need a cardboard container).

So my question is this - has anyone else run into this?? I'm disputing the charge with UPS, but I'm completely annoyed!!

Here's a link to the case I shipped: http://www.adorama.com/FIP5016204.html

Sandra_Pearce
05-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Heather,

I shipped my case yesterday UPS and it is just like yours with a few more straps. Shipping was $30 from south Florida. No charge for not having a cardboard box. I haved shipped for two years and have not had a problem.

Sandra

Heather_L._Smith
05-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Sandra. It's just bizarre... I sent the case via UPS Ground on Tuesday, it arrived on the 29th (Thursday), and I get a notice today that they're charging me extra because it wasn't in a cardboard box. Grrr. I sent a nasty-gram to the billing department, because, of course, they're not open until Monday.

D._Craig_Flory
05-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi Heather;

That is totally bogus ! Your case is just fine as it is a shipping case so more appropriate for shipping than a cardboard box.

Ashley_Short
05-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Heather,

I bought the exact same case from Adorama and had no problems with shipping it. I did, however, feel like the company ripped me off... they actually had to send me two of them b/c the first one was falling apart already! And isn't there supposed to be a place to slip the address into? I had to tape it on. :( I was disappointed with what my 100-something dollars got me.

Any, though, no.... no problems with UPS. It cost $12 to ship it from Northern Ohio.

Jeff_Dachowski
06-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Heather,
UPS charges all items not in corrugated packaging an additional $8 to ship. Yes it stinks. If you are a WHCC client, they happen to send out 16x20 prints in a box that just so happens to fit our cases. FIght it if you want, but you will not win this one. BTW swear you were at a Bat Mitzvah today.

Do you have a little red head?

Jeff

Corrie_Zacharias
06-01-2008, 02:03 AM
UPS charges all items not in corrugated packaging an additional $8 to ship.Jeff
That's because it's harder for them to poke things through it when it's not in cardboard.

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-01-2008, 03:01 AM
Heather,
If you are a WHCC client, they happen to send out 16x20 prints in a box that just so happens to fit our cases.

Do you mean we can put the case in that box and ship it that way? Is that ok with PPA?

Jeff_Dachowski
06-01-2008, 03:58 AM
Do you mean we can put the case in that box and ship it that way? Is that ok with PPA?

Cassandra,
I am not on the PEC, nor am I Jim Dingwell, so let me just say....that is what I did. I am not sure whether that is acceptable or not. I certainly do not want to cause PEC any extra work. I also do not want to have to pay another 19$ to send in two cases either. Maybe we can get someone on PEC to give us a definite answer.

Jeff

Cheri_MacCallum
06-01-2008, 04:31 AM
I shipped my case through the UPS Store and did not have to pay extra. I've been shipping print cases for 14 years and have never had a problem not shipping in a cardboard box.

Heather_L._Smith
06-01-2008, 02:11 PM
So, in the email that UPS sent to me, they also gave me the site www.ups.com/avoidcharges so that I would know how to avoid it in the future. The funny thing is, my package does not fit into any of these categories:
<from the UPS site>
Additional Handling
Additional Handling applies to the following:

Any article that is encased in an outside shipping container made of metal or wood [NOPE]
Any item, such as a barrel, drum, pail, or tire, that is not fully encased in a corrugated cardboard shipping container [NOPE]
Any package with the longest side exceeding 60 inches or its second-longest side exceeding 30 inches [NOPE]
Any package with an actual weight greater than 70 pounds [NOPE]

So, even according to their own rules my case does not apply. I wouldn't have bought a new case if it still had to go in a cardboard box... my old case would've been just fine.

ASHLEY - you're right on the mailing label thing... it said it had a slip-in for the mailing label, but I had to tape mine on as well.

JEFF - sorry... no redheads for me. Although I did go through a phase in the mid-90's where I tried red hair... but I digress. Oh, an YES.... I WILL win this... they're trying to do it retroactively for something I have proof that 100's of other people have done without extra fees. I don't like being bullied around. This shows up as a new charge against my card, so if they don't take it off, it will be disputed. It's $8, I know, chump change, but it's MY $8 and they're wrong. :)

And, I started this thread to make sure I was right :) I'll let you know what they say... maybe I can save you an extra $19, Jeff! Hahaha... although I've already spent that in TIME. It's a principle thing now, apparently!

Keith_A_Howe
06-01-2008, 04:47 PM

I just got off the phone with Jim Dingwell. He said that he hates seeing cases inside of boxes because it makes that much more handling. You can't grab two or three boxes at a time like you can with cases because there are no handles. Also when a box comes in they have to open the box and then open the case While all this sounds like a minor extra time, multiple it by the thousands of cases and it starts to add up. Plus when the case or prints are in a box, a print handler is using a knife to cut it open. Do you really want a knife anywhere near your prints? That being said, you can put your case inside a box. He guareentees that the box will not come back to you, just the case. As far as he knows UPS is the only shipper who is adding a surcharge for no box. FedEx and DHL and the post office are not. UPS seems to be random. If you have UPS pickup at your business on a regular basis it does not seem to happen. If you take your case to a UPS store they almost always charge the extra. If you do it online - sometimes yes sometimes no.
All cases will be shipped back via Fed Ex. If you have shipped your case inside a box, you WILL NOT get the box back. If you have just shipped prints in a box ( with no case which you can do) you will not get anything back, no prints and no box.

Can I suggest to everyone here, when you have a question like this, instead of posting it here and getting hearsay and rumors for answers, just call Jim Dingwell. That's his job and you will get a definitive answer. His number 866-591-9190. Remember this is his job. I am sure in your businesses you like to keep regular hours and not get calls at night and on weekends, so try to call him during normal business hours and not on a Sunday morning like I just did.

Keith

Linda_Gregory
06-01-2008, 04:59 PM
It may be the wrong time of year but could we ask PPA and Mr Dingwell to maybe contact UPS to work something out for next year and the subsequent regionals?

UPS does as they dang well please as we've seen in using them for shipping from the lab. We go online, follow all their procedure, get the bill and find they've charged us a surcharge because of some new or obscure rule.

They're now telling me the weight doesn't matter, the measurements do so I can ship something 25x35x3 that weighs 4 lbs and pay the same as if it weighed 50. I was told they do an 'average' of what those size packages weigh. So WHY do a label online that says much less? We maybe would have decided a different shipper. I feel, and have told them so, they're using unfair practices. DHL did the same thing. When our sales rep called us to see why we weren't using them and we told them how the online quotes NEVER matched the bill, he suggested we call them each time to negotiate. WHAT?? Like I don't have ENOUGH to do?? Besides, negotiate AFTER the service is rendered is a little one sided.

Heather_L._Smith
06-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Okay, so interesting update in the saga with UPS. A managed to beat them down and got my $8 back... a "courtesy" refund as she told me over and over. What they told me, in a nutshell, was that if you don't ship in a cardboard box, you run the risk of being charged extra... apparently my shipment was "randomly audited" and therefore I was charged (which REALLY put me in a huff!). Now, if I were to ship regularly with UPS, I probably wouldn't be charged extra. However, there is now the risk (now that I've made a stink with them) that they'll go back and audit all of my shipments with them and they could make adjustments to prior packages. Great! (I don't think she appreciated my "you've GOT to be kidding" remark following that one). I'm still pretty mad, and I probably won't ship with UPS again. It sounds like FedEx is more print-case-friendly (although I'll be reading the fine print on their site before sending anything).

Oh, and my file as been "noted" that no further credits are warranted. Whatever, you big bully.

D._Craig_Flory
06-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi Heather;

When I called the local UPS Store here in Palmyra, I asked Heather (that is her name) and she said there is a line on the form they fill out and there is an automatic extra fee added if not in a cardboard box. HOWEVER ... she also never heard of them forcing the shipper to put the case in a cardboard box !!!

Jackie_Haggerty
06-02-2008, 07:06 PM
..... at least you have your prints shipped. Some of us are still unsure of what we are sending. :eek:

D._Craig_Flory
06-02-2008, 07:50 PM
..... at least you have your prints shipped. Some of us are still unsure of what we are sending. :eek:

Tomorrow a friend, from the Forum, is stopping to show me five images and together we will narrow down to four. She will probably then ship her case from the UPS Store here in my town.

I'm waiting to hear about someone driving their case cross country or hiring a charter plane to take & drop off their case. Who is going to fess; up that is what they did ? :eek: :p

dennis_spaziano
06-02-2008, 10:24 PM
I shipped my print case from the UPS store and was not charged extra.:D
Heather I am glad you won.:cool:

Rick_Massarini
06-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Just use Fed-Ex and avoid all the hassle...

D._Craig_Flory
06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Just use Fed-Ex and avoid all the hassle...

Hi Rick;

There are two reasons I will probably keep on using the UPS Store. #1 We only have a FedEx Box outside our post office but no FedEx location to take a print case. #2 The UPS Store is a member of our town's business association. (the manager was at our biz assn. meeting last night) I like to deal with other members so they deal with me. They don't have a cardboard box fetish either.

Heather_L._Smith
06-03-2008, 07:50 PM
well, I personally will not be using UPS anymore. I do everything online, then deliver to my local mail center, who takes pickups from all the major carriers. Actually, my biggest peeve about this whole thing is that they took advantage of the fact that I used their online service. Had I not done that, they would not have had my credit card number handy to back-charge me, which I believe is the biggest indicator of bully tactics. . They sent me a notice after they had already charged me, so it became my problem to get my money back. Clearly for UPS, the customer is NOT always right, which is not a service model I care to deal with (I swear, if I heard them say "I understand, but" one more time I was going to flip a lid!) while the customer often is NOT always right, I believe there needs to be a fair middle ground that does not involve beating your customer into the ground. Phew... vent over.

Mark_G_Woods
06-03-2008, 07:59 PM
I purchased my cases through Tallyn's in Peoria. I ship my cases through the postal service to competition. I have never had a problem.

Sandra_Pearce
06-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Heather,

I checked with my UPS Store today and they do charge the eight dollars for no box. It was a hidden cost that doesn't show up on my receipt. They told me that is to cover handling in the UPS hubs. Boxes are sorted on a conveyer belt and the cases are hand sorted. That is what the extra charge is for so I was told. If they don't catch it in the store UPS bills them when it goes through the hub for sorting.

Sandra

Rodney_Ninow
06-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Late to this thread, but just wondering if anyone has quit using UPS because of price increases? I use USPS now, UPS is always about 50% higher.

Cassandra_Sullivan
06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
USPS is less expensive, but it has nowhere near the tracking capabilities that UPS has. And the USPS is less reliable, judging from the amount of other people's mail I get in my mailbox.

Cheri_MacCallum
06-12-2008, 10:02 PM
I checked with my UPS Store today and they do charge the eight dollars for no box.

I wonder if it's a store to store basis. I asked my ups store about this and they looked at me strange. They don't charge extra for 'no box'.

Late to this thread, but just wondering if anyone has quit using UPS because of price increases? I use USPS now, UPS is always about 50% higher.

I ship several times a week, usually around the same size box and weight and my shipping prices have not gone up.

Rodney_Ninow
06-12-2008, 10:33 PM
I wonder if it's a store to store basis. I asked my ups store about this and they looked at me strange. They don't charge extra for 'no box'.

I ship several times a week, usually around the same size box and weight and my shipping prices have not gone up.I don't ship that often, but in the past 6 months I have shipped maybe 8-9 items, and UPS was always $10-12 and USPS was about $6 for similar boxes.

Compared to say a year ago, have you not seen any price increase? Maybe UPS was always more expensive and I just didn't realize it.

Cheri_MacCallum
06-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Compared to say a year ago, have you not seen any price increase? Maybe UPS was always more expensive and I just didn't realize it.

Nope! Depending on the weight, size and wether it's business or or residential and regular route or rural. It's been about the same for quite a while now!

Barry_Hayes
06-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Been there. After years of shipping the same case to PPANE from the same UPS office, suddenly I was told that if it was not in a box there was a surcharge. Didn't matter that it is a SHIPPING CASE designed for SHIPPING, it had to be in a box. As for all those past years, well that was a oversight and I "got away free" on those. I pushed it as far as I could through supervisors but didn't win. Well, actually I did because I told them to forget it and went down the street to fedex, paid less, and was treated much better. Haven't used UPS since. BTW, at our PPANE banquet the print chairman got up and very testily remonstrated people for sending in their cases in a box, with the inference that those who did were not too bright for putting a shipping case in a box that was to much trouble for her committee to deal with. She was promptly told that her problem was with UPS not her fellow members.
And I agree with Linda Gregory. This is nothing new from UPS (my incident was at least 4 years ago) so I f Mr Dingwell doesn't want his volunteers to have to handle boxes perhaps he should either parley with UPS and explain to them what a shipping case is, (good luck) or (dare I say it?) reduce the case fee by the amount of the surcharge if one is imposed. Member benefit maybe?
Meanwhile, in my opinion GO FEDEX. Online tracking, better rates, and great customer service.
Barry Hayes