PDA

View Full Version : How about this guy?

Gwen_Greenglass
05-30-2008, 02:05 AM
I liked the mood and attitude of this portrait, but is it compt worthy? I printed it with contrast to add to the mood... any title ideas? If its not up to par, I'll just leave it out...

John_Metcalfe
05-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Is he smoking or eating an apple? Just teasing. Can't tell. Having trouble seeing into it...

Also if i may suggest, trim the sides evenly (maybe more) and use your stone work as a texture in your black background.
Make a soft light layer using a black paint brush at about 15% to darken the distractions. (the asphalt, the walls, the doorway, his hands, the coat)
Use the same method with white on the mask of his face, bring up the shadows in the top of the doorway, in his shirt, etc.
Sharpen with the un-sharp mask tool and work with your contrast a bit.

I've made a sample for viewing.

D._Craig_Flory
05-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Gwen;

I like this image and hope the full size can be worked for more light in his eyes. Here is how I see it. I called it "Reminiscing".

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Reminiscing.jpg

Greg_Haag
05-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Gwen,
Hope you don't mind I made some quick changes to possible add a more directional feel to the lighting to direct the eye more to the subject.

John_Metcalfe
05-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Gwen, squint your eyes, look at the print, tell yourself what sticks out.
(IMHO) If there is something that isn't part of the story or isn't where you want the viewer to go and to come back to tone it or get rid of it.

Gwen_Greenglass
06-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Yes, he is smoking a cigarette, I appreciate all of your help, I wish I could look at my own work as objectively as I can see others!!