PDA

View Full Version : Just sent out my press releases!

Angela_Lawson
05-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Hope all you new CPP's have gotten your press releases out. I just sent mine out to the 4 papers that are within 30 minutes of me. (Around here, nothing is really local, you have to drive a half hour to anywhere). I'm hoping that they will get published in all of them, but I'll be happy with even just our local weekly paper.

Anyone else send their out yet? Did you modify it at all, or did you just use the sample one sent with your packet? I modified mine to add just a little personal info. hoping that if it doesn't hit the news section, maybe it would make the human interest or something like that.

Angela

Heather_L._Smith
05-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I still haven't gotten my packet... and I live right by PPA headquarters!

Cassandra_Sullivan
05-30-2008, 01:39 AM
No packet here yet either...

Don_Chick
05-30-2008, 02:19 AM
In NH they always put mine in under the Business section... when I send them in!!!

Cindi_Delaney
05-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Hope you guys also sent an image in with the press release.
Editors love pictures with press releases.
Also I hope you submitted by email or whatever their preferred electronic method is.

Jim_Bolen
05-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Sent mine in and our local crappy paper edited out the best parts, so it was a short blurb. Jerks.

Only a couple of friends told me they saw it. Haven't heard anything else about it.

D._Craig_Flory
05-30-2008, 02:45 PM
For all the newly certifieds ... I suggest looking to see how many photographers are certified in your areas. If not a lot, call the newspaper(s) and ask who writes stories about new accomplishments or human interest. If you go to the paper, with what certification is and that you are one of the few certified photographers in the area, you might get an editorial type article written. Take along a CD or DVD with your 20 images. Tell them about the exam you also had to pass. I'd take photos of your studio as well and a list of types photography you create.

Angela_Lawson
05-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Well, so far one out of the 4 newspapers I contacted said they couldn't run it because "you are out of our coverage area" (I'm in another small town about 20 miles away, but we "photographers" all cover the same 4 small towns in the area). I photograph most of their Sports Teams and some senior and weddings. I sent another message, explaining that they are in MY coverage area, and would they please reconsider, but haven't heard back yet.

Heather and Cassandra - I'm guessing they must be going in alphabetical order or maybe in image review number order? Either way, with only about 1/2 of us passing, I'd guess you should be getting yours soon - mine came at the beginning of the week. Heather, if I was you, I'd take a little walk. ;)

Cindi - I didn't send a photo, as I don't have any of myself (I'm a photographer, remember! That's why I'm always behind the camera).:D ;)
Maybe I can get Jeff D. to take one for me in two weeks, at his workshop, like he did for Heather?:o

Angela

Cassandra_Sullivan
05-30-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm thinking Cindi meant a photo as a sample of your work - for instance one of the images used for the certification judging?
Anyway that's a great idea since most of mine were of local high school seniors...

Cindi_Delaney
05-31-2008, 01:09 AM
No as a newspaper editor/owner it's not a bad idea to have a headshot of yourself around. Especially in small towns. Even a photo of you with some work or a camera in your hand. Sometime when I'm trying to decide which press release to use it boils down to questions like does it have a picture.
Actually one of just your work will look a little too much like free advertising, which we all know press releases are, and that's okay.
Just if you give it a reason and face it sometimes helps.