PDA

View Full Version : 78, 79... do you send it?

Stephanie_Millner
05-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Question: If a print scores 79 at state (and at the print critique the only critique of it given is one edge should be blacked out and "don't ask me, I scored it an 82.") and then the same print scores a 78 at regionals (with the edges blacked out)... do you send this print to nationals? Or do you get it reprinted? Re-work it?
What's normal for this...???

Jeff_Dachowski
05-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Stephacocoa Puff,

The deadline is next week. When they say June 6th, they mean this June 6th.

Send it!

Send it!

Send it!

Sing it if you know it....

Jeff

Stephanie_Millner
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Stephacocoa Puff,

That's a new one...

bob_hancock
05-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Stephacocoa Puff,

The deadline is next week. When they say June 6th, they mean this June 6th.

Send it!

Send it!

Send it!

Sing it if you know it....

Jeff

You can send late . . . . . . . . It will cost though!!

John_Stein
05-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Send it. I had one last year that scored 82 at State and then dropped to 76 at SEPPA and then merited at national

Jeff_Dachowski
05-29-2008, 07:19 PM
That's a new one...

Stepharickatickatavi,
I have a whole book of them. Shall I go on?

Jeff

bob_hancock
05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Question: If a print scores 79 at state (and at the print critique the only critique of it given is one edge should be blacked out and "don't ask me, I scored it an 82.") and then the same print scores a 78 at regionals (with the edges blacked out)... do you send this print to nationals? Or do you get it reprinted? Re-work it?
What's normal for this...???

Had one Print at regionals last year score 77
Hung at Nationals!

Stephanie_Millner
05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
If you can spell them with 2 F's, so much the better. :D

Stacey_West
05-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Question: If a print scores 79 at state (and at the print critique the only critique of it given is one edge should be blacked out and "don't ask me, I scored it an 82.") and then the same print scores a 78 at regionals (with the edges blacked out)... do you send this print to nationals?

Two years ago one of my images scored a 77 at swppa. I just liked it and believed it was good despite the low score. I thought about reworking it a little and then I thought about not sending it on at all. In the end I packed it, the original print, up with my other prints, sent it off and it ended up going loan. If you think, as objectively as possible, that your print is good and have faith in it I recommend sending it.

John_Metcalfe
05-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Steph,

Run, don't walk, Run to the post office!

Heather_L._Smith
05-30-2008, 01:12 PM
And at this point you could still get it there with ground shipping... rather than paying through the nose for 2-day or overnight!! Run, Steff, Run!!

Stephanie_Millner
05-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Here's what's annoying me. I can send a case full of 78s and 79s, or I can send it in late with one that I think has a much better chance of a Merit, but isn't printed yet. What do i do!?

Cassandra_Sullivan
05-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Well I just uploaded some reworked images last night and I'm hoping to get them by middle of next week...so print now! :D

John_Metcalfe
05-30-2008, 02:17 PM
This is me smacking you on the forehead, (THUMP!)

We cannot tell you what to do. We can only suggest.

At this point you have a case with borderline images. On the other hand, you have an untested image, not finished, and are taking a risk of getting none of them there.

Yes, you could send it late. Many do.

Then if you do print it which one do you pull. From 78 to 79 is one point. and not knowing the circumstances of each prints judging one could say they each stand a chance of making it or falling short again.

These are a lot of queries to overcome.

Unless we get the privilege of seeing this said image and say, "What were you thinking? Put it in the case!" Send the case as is and light a candle.

He/She who hesitates is lost... Go for it Stephanie!

Stephanie_Millner
05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks John. I will send my case today with 4 of my 6 existing prints. I am leaving for 10 days on Sunday, and I was planning on having this last print shipped to Liz for her to send... but you're right - it's kind of not worth it. I can always get it printed and send it to MD for a state comp first. Thanks for the kick-in-the-butt.
Darn, now I need to figure out what to use for the 4th print! :)

Keith_A_Howe
05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Steff, remember at an affliate you are given an average score, So that 78 could have been 80,80,80,75, 75 for individual judges scores and an average of 78. At national it's thumbs up or down, so a majority up gets the merit.

Keith

John_Metcalfe
05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Name the 3 remaining images 1,2 and 3.

Then take three fingers and smack them on the table really hard.

Which ever hurts the worst is the one you send. Problem solved!

Moving on...

Stephanie_Millner
05-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys. My main dilemma is that I'm leaving Sunday for Disney World! (Woo hoo!) So I don't have time to wait for that 4th print to come in. But fortunately... Liz does! So I entered, named my 4 prints - including the one out at the lab - and I'm giving a 4th print to Liz in case the lab one that's being drop-shipped to her doesn't look good or doesn't come in, in time. If not, it can be easily changed to that 4th print (I say easily because now it's her deal). So publicly...
THANK YOU LIZ!

Lori_Luza
05-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Excellent teamwork, everyone.

Steph, I'm reading this late, but I'm glad you went ahead and sent them in. Get those feet WET!

Liz, that is soooo sweet of you to help out a colleague. Way to work in the spirit of ourppa and our industry!

smooches to you all! ;)

D._Craig_Flory
05-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Steff, remember at an affliate you are given an average score, So that 78 could have been 80,80,80,75, 75 for individual judges scores and an average of 78. At national it's thumbs up or down, so a majority up gets the merit.

Keith

Hi Keith;

That is an excellent explaination !!! Another good thing about national is that there are 5 sets of judges. If a judge still thought an image should merit they can ask for it to be taken to another panel.