PDA

View Full Version : Risk of contaminating PEC judges

Marc_Benjamin
02-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Just a thought, are we risking of contaminating the PEC judges pool but posting our potential comp prints here and in the galleries?

Any thoughts?

Derek_Alvarez
02-02-2006, 07:29 PM
That's Why I just Post the image not the finish
Print

But a very Good point indeed

D._Craig_Flory
02-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Marc;

I think that is a good question. I think most images, posted on here, are to learn with. And most will go through a lot more Photoshop work before being printed, in wall size, for competition. Once someone is close to having some images they really like for competition, it would be a good idea to only share them with friends and mentors for final opinions.

On a state level, maybe a judge might remember an image, when judging several hundreds. But at PPA judging, the amount of prints judged is staggering. I don't think any judge would remember seeing one on here at a PPA judging.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP

G_Bob_Brown
02-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Since many of the images posted have competition mats around them I'm sure some of the images are either headed for print competition or have been in competition. Having attended the judging class this past summer I can tell you that while watching loan collection judging I did recognize many of the images that I had viewed in the mid east regional at Dayton. However my understanding is that just because you've seen an image doesn't disqualify you from judging it, only knowing the maker is grounds for dismissing yourself as a juror.

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2006, 04:39 PM
However my understanding is that just because you've seen an image doesn't disqualify you from judging it, only knowing the maker is grounds for dismissing yourself as a juror.

Hi Bob,

That's what I mean, since we are using our real identities in this site. I attended the PEC workshop in Austin, and spoke with some judges. I gather that sometimes, if a judge had already seen an image finished or not, there is a pre-conceived notion of a score already. Like one would remember if the liked it or not the first time they saw it.

Also, the question of original work comes up. I showed a work print to a judge and we ended up spending a lot of time talking about where he saw it before. I didn’t remember at the time but when I got back, I realized that I posted the work image somewhere here.

I guess that the best chance of a good impression is keeping the first impression for when it goes up to be scored.

Dennis_Craft
03-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Since many of the images posted have competition mats around them I'm sure some of the images are either headed for print competition or have been in competition. Having attended the judging class this past summer I can tell you that while watching loan collection judging I did recognize many of the images that I had viewed in the mid east regional at Dayton. However my understanding is that just because you've seen an image doesn't disqualify you from judging it, only knowing the maker is grounds for dismissing yourself as a juror.

You have said it correctly. As long as you can't put a face or a name to the image but have seen the image, you can still judge it. The Photographic Exhibition Committee (PEC) takes great efforts in maintaining the integrity of the merit.

As the board liaison to this committee I would think you do run the risk of having a judge not beeing able to judge your image. A quick solution, in the heading or area tell what competition the image will be at and the judges from that judging won't review thoses images.

Just a thought.

Dennis