PDA

View Full Version : My first case! CC please!

Art_Wright
05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
#1 "Sitting Pretty"

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/SittingPrettyFINAL.jpg

#2 "Olympic Dreamer"

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/Olympicdreamer.jpg

#3 "Fog of War"

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/FogofWar.jpg

#4 "Daddy's Hands"

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/Daddyshands.jpg

Art_Wright
05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
ttt for Keith and Don...

Art_Wright
05-27-2008, 09:13 PM
It's either bad timing, or my case is doomed...

Don_Chick
05-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi Art,

I was going to reply later tonight. I labor over critiques to get the words just right.... so I was waiting till later to take the time to respond..

My feeble attempts at humor take no where near as much brain power...

Art_Wright
05-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Understood, Don... these are my children, you know? :D

Art_Wright
05-28-2008, 02:08 AM
On to the NBA playoffs...

John_Metcalfe
05-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Image #1 I am a bit confused with the light pattern. I will have to think more on that one.

Image #2 the ice needs cleaned up. not her shadows, but the other things going on in the ice. cool. i dig it!

Image #3 Don't really know what you are going for here. There is a stone wall splitting the scene. No weight in the image. Yes, I see the fog, but the bad part about some of these trees at the distance that they are is if you can't see their branches they are just sticks coming out of the ground. Needs to be much stronger. IMO you have better.

Image #4 there are certain places you make a cut, most times it's at a joint.
This one currently needs help with toning, crop, the vignette needs punted, light placement. I'll start running now...

Linda_Gregory
05-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Art,

I know you've worked on the antique settee more than a few times but I think the problem is it has a break that's right behind the girl. Having the break there, we don't see it and our brain cannot figure out what that line is on her right that doesn't extend on to the other side. I'd think possibly removing the back from the one side or adding back to the other side may make it less questionable. Not for this late date, but try placing your subject on one end or the other of the piece to show the break and add more tension.

I know he fell asleep after dinner instead of checking in, but I'll leave the rest to Don. Keith had a rough weekend with his youngest's graduation, not sure if he's checking in very soon.

Noelle_Zaleski
05-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Art, I really like olypic dreamer! Good luck!

Art_Wright
05-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Final case images...

Olympic Dreamer

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/Olympicdreamer-1.jpg

It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want to!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/ItsMyPartyandIllCryifIWantto.jpg

Sitting Pretty

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/SittingPrettyFINAL.jpg

Daddy's Hand

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/Daddyshand.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
05-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Art
Sorry I missed this with all my running around the country. I'm in TN at the moment.
Sitting pretty - we have talked about this one so you know my thoughts
Olympic Dreamer - I like the concept, Make sure the extractions are clean as I can't tell on this low res but I think I am seeing a extraction issue on image 3 and the final image by her leg / knee areas.
It's My party - Feels printed too light to me, also her pants draw a lot of attention.
Daddys Hand - This image will depend on print quality. I'm concernd with baby's hand being cut off.
Fog of war - What this image needs you can add for next year. It needs ghost images of civil war combatants that are stronger in the forground and fading (fog) out in the background. Keep them ghosty though.
I didn't have time to list all the positives on these images - sorry if it sounds like I am being critical.
Keith

Art_Wright
05-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks, Keith! The images have already been printed (I hope) so it's moot at this point. I had considered the ghosted Civil War combatants; thanks for reminding me. What with all of the CW reenactments around here, it shouldn't be hard to get some images... Thanks again for taking a look. I was really stringent on my extractions, so I hope I didn't miss those spots you mentioned... Thanks to Holly for the title for Sitting Pretty!

Rodney_Ninow
06-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm behind on the current trend, I guess, I just don't get the off center mat look. Can someone explain the appeal?

Heidi_Theriault
06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
I love the first two! The second two are mediocre.

Art_Wright
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I love the first two! The second two are mediocre.

Are you critiquing the first set or the last set?

Stewart_Schulze
06-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm behind on the current trend, I guess, I just don't get the off center mat look. Can someone explain the appeal?
The off center mate work sometimes if the image lends to being off center. maybe to add tension or just to add a stronger composition but many photographers are trying to save centered images and make them look better. i think it is overused and the judges can see right through it.

D._Craig_Flory
06-09-2008, 09:49 PM

Hi Rodney;

IF you back up a lot and leave a lot of room when composing, and creating an image, as well as placing the main subject of interest on one of the quadrants ... then you don't need a step-mount. However, if the image is created too close or the composition doesn't allow for the main subject of interest to fall on one of the quadrants ... then a step-mount is definitely the way to go.

These have been around for decades. At first they will physical step-mounts where the subject layer was mounted on a thin piece of matte board. An accent color piece of material was mounted behind that and trimmed as slim as possible. Finally, all of that was mounted on a piece of matte board in a complimentary color with that mounted on a board making it thick enough. Photoshop now allows for much easier step-mounts. Since step-mounts often score best it is a great technique to learn. Having done real step-mounts, I can tell you Photoshop makes it so easy as well as cheaper. For example ... the blue ribbon I won on a portrait I created and did step-mount of a Master Craftsman .... if I had paid a lab to assemble that it probably would have been at least $250.00 to $300.00 way back when. Now it just costs a machine print price and mounting.

Rodney_Ninow
06-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi Rodney;

-snip-

Since step-mounts often score best it is a great technique to learn. Having done real step-mounts, I can tell you Photoshop makes it so easy as well as cheaper. For example ... the blue ribbon I won on a portrait I created and did step-mount of a Master Craftsman .... if I had paid a lab to assemble that it probably would have been at least $250.00 to $300.00 way back when. Now it just costs a machine print price and mounting.

If I am understanding what you are saying, the judges not only judge photographic content and technique, but also the mounting?

What do you mean by the statement, "...step-mount of a Master Craftsman..?"

I've never entered a print comp, but have been present at a few when I belonged to a local chapter in southern California. I always thought the off center mount (step mount, I guess) looked funny and caused me to notice the mat, and in some cases competed for my attention.

I would think that we want to be judged on our photographic skills, not what corner we choose to place our photo in on a step mount.

I'm not familiar with "quadrants" unless you are referring to the rule of the thirds. In all the magazines, books, and in earning my AS degree in photography and BA in Photo-Communications, I have never come across this term in relation to photography.

D._Craig_Flory
06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Rodney;

It was a portrait I created of a Master Craftsman.

Yes, the rule of thirds creates the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quadrants which are the 4 intersecting points.

If you look through PPA Loan Collection, and General Collection books you will see a lot of step-mounts.

In the Dirty Dozen of print competition ... presentation is what step-mounts would come under. (as wll as impact possibly) If done very well, a full bleed print will score well. But, if an image's main subject just does not fall at the best position, or a different feeling is needed, then a step-mount will do better. A lot of the time a slim-line presentation can help a print score better and / or merit.