PDA

View Full Version : the final image for the case

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 03:40 AM
I have been trying to find my last image for my case. I have a few prospects but my brain is turning to mush. Here they are.

Little to no retouching as of yet has been done.

#1 Miner Contemplation

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 03:43 AM
#2 Miner Stare

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 03:44 AM
#3 Bird Hotel

Dave_Cisco
05-27-2008, 04:01 AM
John,
I do not think the miner will do well ....the lack of light in his eyes will hurt both prints. Of the three, the birds is the strongest, IMHO.

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
here's the miner worked up better for competition.

Heather_L._Smith
05-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Wow, John... what a difference! I love this last image, but I'm having a challenge with the title. I totally get it when I SEE the title (the spelling), but I don't know if it would have the same impact when read aloud. hmmmm. When I hear the word "miner," this is not one of the first 3 things I think of.

Also, there's a white speck on his nose, camera left that keeps drawing my eye.

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 02:02 PM
that's just a location name in the computer. haven't got a title yet...

Heather_L._Smith
05-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Hahahaha! Alrightythen! I respectfully withdraw my comment about the title! :)

Cheri_MacCallum
05-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I think your re-worked miner should be the last image in your case!

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Here's the direction I'm going with on the titles:

mine
niner
hardened
deliverance
them's fightin' words!
complaint department
under the brim
brim
prospect
prospector
claim
stakin' my claim

Heather_L._Smith
05-27-2008, 02:28 PM
These are my favorites:
them's fightin' words!
complaint department

D._Craig_Flory
05-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi John;

Here's how I see the bird's image. I called it "AntiSocial" because the bird on the 1st quadrant is facing the opposite of everyone else.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/AntiSocial.jpg

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 02:32 PM
the birds also are a strong consideration. it is a straight shot minus a couple fixes. I was thinking about the title on it and was heading for some kind of vacancy or club/gang/crew title.

Mr. Flory, I had already posted this. You are on the mark with the title! Thanks! I'll try to liquify the bird's face into a grimace or frown. HA!

D._Craig_Flory
05-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi John;

Here is my take on the miner.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/FaceEtchedByTime.jpg

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Flory: Face Etched by Time ...

How about "Weathered"?

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Not to clog up the machine, but here's my prints already in the case. All three have sealed and are a done deal. It's that elusive #4 that's got me!

#1 Audacity to hope

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 03:12 PM
#2 Send one Angel

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 03:14 PM
#3 is "Hardcore"

Don_Chick
05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
IMO - Don't cross hatch the "Minor", it stands on its own.... but needs a bit of help with more vignetting...

Hardcore should be in the loan book!!! Not that the others can't but that one has big impact for such a small print.

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 04:44 PM
thanks Craig and Don.

audacity scored a 95, send one angel 88, and hardcore 94. i would like all who view these know that my goal this year has been met. i needed one merit for my master's and i am not a greedy person, so i set my sites on that. Now it is my hope that whatever i end up going with is accepted. i feel with that i stand a good chance of bettering last year's achievements and will cap an excellent competition year.

Don_Chick
05-27-2008, 06:32 PM
John that's great! I do like the other 2 but as small as they are it's hard to appreciate them... I bet they are amazing in print, especially to score that well.

Good luck!

Lorrie_Kennedy
05-27-2008, 06:40 PM
John, I am speechless...are they ideas that you go out and find models for? Yours is some of the most emotional, thought evoking, edge of your seat images I have ever seen. You see movies, read books, and watch sunsets that seem to never leave your mind...and your images are of that category for me. I won't ask the how questions, or the technique questions...for to me there can only be a few GREAT photographers (Ansel Adams comes to mind here) and you, IMO, are one of these Greats, and to try and copy greatness is sordid and somewhat sad. To be great one must find that within, and that is what I see when I view your images.:o

Ok, enough of the gushy stuff! You ROCK! Do you teach any classes:D (because I am willing to be sordid and somewhat sad)?

Don_Chick
05-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow.....!!

Dave_Cisco
05-27-2008, 07:22 PM
here's the miner worked up better for competition.

You do not need outside opinions:) ...You know what you are doing.

John_Metcalfe
05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
you'd be surprised how much appreciated your opinions are...

Karen_Smith
05-28-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm impressed.....

Noelle_Zaleski
05-28-2008, 11:38 AM
John, I cannot belive the before and after of your miner. I wish I could do that!
Good luck it is a great image.

Don_Chick
05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
John, I cannot belive the before and after of your miner. I wish I could do that!
Good luck it is a great image.

Noelle, check out this link and see how Jonathan Penney progresses with an image... http://jonathanpenney.blogspot.com/2008/05/building-image-impact-six-basic.html

You can do it, it's a matter learning the steps!

Now back to the regularly scheduled comments for this thread!

John_Metcalfe
05-30-2008, 05:10 AM
With mucho help just finished with the final adjustments. Going to print with it. Title? Still wavering on that...

btw It was mentioned before there was a white spot on his nose. That's a wart. ain't touching that!

Noelle_Zaleski
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
John, I really love this image and what you have done with it. I wish I could help with a title but I have not had enough coffee yet. I am in Waukegan for the weekend, my nephew is graduating today from the Great Lakes Training Center.

Barbara_Adelman
05-30-2008, 01:02 PM
edge of your seat as usual John - glad we got to see the progression of it!
I can't help think of a title either - the things that jump at me are the beard, the "sneer" and his eyes - but nothing snaps as a title when I focus on those- sorry

John_Metcalfe
05-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Here they are so far...

Weathered
Them's fightin' words
Stare down
Keep your distance
Pessimistic point of view
Bath? (I don't think so...)
Soap? Never heard of it...
Piercing Soul
strong willed
fair warning
close enough!
prospector
Jerome
Resolute

Don_Chick
05-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Piercing Soul

Lorrie_Kennedy
05-30-2008, 06:49 PM
My vote is on 'them's fightin' words"

John_Metcalfe
05-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Widdling down. Here's the refined list
Stakin' my claim
Weathered
Them's fightin' words
Stare down
Piercing Soul
strong willed
fair warning
prospector
Jerome
Resolute

John_Metcalfe
05-31-2008, 06:04 PM
I have a new title for the print. I've been searching for a one word title and I think I've found it.

Cantankerous

Well maybe not...

There is one more title I'm starting to like.

OLD FART

Stacey_Kaylor
06-01-2008, 10:27 PM
My husbands uncle was a miner and he looked a lot like this guy he only lived to be 62 yrs old and a lot of the miners don't live to be this old. Survival of Coal or something like that.

Thanks,
Stacey

paulrogers
06-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Hey John, That's FANTASTIC

John_Metcalfe
06-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Paul... Remember it was on your recomendation that I used this print. So if it fails prepare to receive one of my thank you notes...

Noelle_Zaleski
06-06-2008, 12:48 PM
John, I like "OLD FART"

John_Metcalfe
06-06-2008, 01:10 PM
John, I like "OLD FART"

Me TOO! But I am going to have to save it for next time...

I also had "Mean ole Fart" and "I'm so Happy" in the running for it and choked.

Watch out next year! I am going to break what ever rules I haven't broken already. I have several ideas I have been dying to try, but just haven't been brave enough til now.

I get my Master's in Phoenix, so soon I can test the "lazy susan print holder" with some of my prints to see if it can hold it.

You know what they say, "If your not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!":D

Noelle_Zaleski
06-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Me TOO! But I am going to have to save it for next time...

I also had "Mean ole Fart" and "I'm so Happy" in the running for it and choked.

Watch out next year! I am going to break what ever rules I haven't broken already. I have several ideas I have been dying to try, but just haven't been brave enough til now.

I get my Master's in Phoenix, so soon I can test the "lazy susan print holder" with some of my prints to see if it can hold it.

You know what they say, "If your not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!":D

IDEAS, yup I have them also. So you aren't going to use those titles because you feel they are not "safe" titles?

Mark_Levesque
06-06-2008, 01:49 PM
All that's missing is a shotgun barrel to be entitled "Git off mah land!" He's got that look.

You say he just walked in off the street? Now that I am on main street, I am amazed at all the um, interesting characters that are around. I'm thinking I might want to photograph some of them, but I am loathe to allow them into my studio lest I find I can never get them back out! And more than a few of them have "issues". One guy was having a heated argument with himself, another was either completely lit or had a severe inner ear imbalance. I am thinking my opening question to them should be "can you sign your name?" hehehe "Yes, it's a model release. You are a model now." :D

John_Metcalfe
06-06-2008, 01:53 PM
IDEAS, yup I have them also. So you aren't going to use those titles because you feel they are not "safe" titles?

For me the title has to fit completely. I'm not worried about "wordsmithery" being safe. For most of my titles, they have to have dual or underlying meanings to work. You have 7 people with opinions viewing your image. (Jury Chair, 5 judges and an alternate) And you have to hit a nerve within all of them. The trouble is the title doesn't always mean the same thing to all the viewers, so by finding a title with a dual or multiple layered core you stand a better chance. IMHO I feel a title takes an image to the next level.

John_Metcalfe
06-06-2008, 02:00 PM
You say he just walked in off the street? Now that I am on main street, I am amazed at all the um, interesting characters that are around. I'm thinking I might want to photograph some of them, but I am loathe to allow them into my studio lest I find I can never get them back out! And more than a few of them have "issues". One guy was having a heated argument with himself, another was either completely lit or had a severe inner ear imbalance. I am thinking my opening question to them should be "can you sign your name?" hehehe "Yes, it's a model release. You are a model now." :D[/QUOTE]

Patience, lots of Patience, Respect and Self Assurance.

I have been around some of these people for years. Built a trust (of sorts).
They know what I stand for, won't cross my line and I show them respect and a ear.

Rodney_Ninow
06-12-2008, 06:51 PM
John, the portrait images are striking, great job. I'm new to all this comp stuff, how important is the title. This thread had a lot of discussion about the title, which leads me to believe it is vital to getting a good score?

D._Craig_Flory
06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
John, the portrait images are striking, great job. I'm new to all this comp stuff, how important is the title. This thread had a lot of discussion about the title, which leads me to believe it is vital to getting a good score?

Hi Rodney;

If a title doesn't fit the image, is hard to pronounce, or the judges have no idea what it means ... it can hurt the chances of it getting a merit at nationals or the score elsewhere.

Conversely, a very good title can help the judges understand the image from the maker's perspective.

Angela_Lawson
06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Now that I am on main street, I am amazed at all the um, interesting characters that are around. :D

Hey Mark. Congrats on moving into a main street studio! We've all seen the pull backs of the tiny space you used to work in. :eek: Care to share pics of the new space.:)

Angela