PDA

View Full Version : Need Critique on 2 Comp images

Tony_Alt
05-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Hello

I am considering entering these 2 images for competition. What are your thoughts?

Ben_Leavitt
05-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I think both are stunning! I love your lighting!

With the first one I think the beams of light look a little too contrived.
I would break them up a bit using some tonal variation so they look more natural...
maybe add a very slight texture to the beams of light.
Maybe change the size variations of the beams?
Maybe less beams of light?

The second one... I feel like I really want to see her entire elbow.
I'm guessing that it's not there to begin with though, so I'm not sure how I would treat that.
When I look at it I want to move the camera over a bit to the left to get all of her arm.

Those are my first impressions.

Cheri_MacCallum
05-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Tony,
Great concepts!

On the first image the horizontal lines behind the subject is distracting. Also, I know she is probably kneeling, but since we can't see her feet it looks strange, like she's too short.

On the second image the lighter gold materiel behind her is the brightest thing in the image and therfore takes attention away from your subject! I would suggest toning this down!

Tony_Alt
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback Cheri and Ben.
I have to tell you though, both images look different in a small jpg than they do printed out as 16x20.
The beams of light are very soft in my print and the stairs behind her are much more subtle.
I do agree with you Cheri. The gold fabric is a little too bright in the maternity image.

thanks again

BTW, do you usually print and mount your own comp prints or do you send them out?

Ben_Leavitt
05-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Tony, I bet you're totally right about that.
This forum is great for feedback, but you can only see so much on a screen compared to an actual print.

As for prepping comp prints, I have always had my lab (Miller's) do them.
If I had the materials to print my own I would probably still have them do it since I hate mounting
and I figure they do competition prints all the time and know what needs to be done to them probably better than I do. :cool:

Cheri_MacCallum
05-15-2008, 12:28 AM
BTW, do you usually print and mount your own comp prints or do you send them out?

I print my own on my 9600. I'm way too picky to let anyone else print my work!

Stewart_Schulze
05-15-2008, 05:37 AM
the one thing with both images that might have made them stronger is some sort of separation light. with the little girl you might be able to make the vail a little brighter along the edge with Photoshop that way it would separate.
on the other image one big problem is the hair in the upper left blend into the background also the light might be a little hard for this photo. you might want to try an effect that softens and maybe adds a little glow

John_Metcalfe
05-15-2008, 01:22 PM
My 2 cents.

Please keep in mind I have not looked at what others have said and am strictly on the images as viewed. All in the spirit of solidarity and the improvement of all here.

Both images are quite busy. I only wish to comment on the most striking things.

On the first image there are horizontal lines running out of the subject's head and back continuing away from her. I'm not sure how much darkening will help. The use of softening around the bottom of the dress needs to be much more subtle.

The second image has material on the right of her in competition with her face and leads away and out of the image. Her right elbow is sharp in what is to be a soft, gentle, curvy image. There is dead space on the middle right side and I would like to see it gone entirely. By cropping close to HER left elbow would eliminate the dead spot and leave the material sweeping back into the subject.

Tony_Alt
05-15-2008, 01:34 PM
WOW! Great feedback from everyone. This is my first big competition and I would like to get it as right as I can.

Thank you everyone.

Keith_A_Howe
05-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Tony, I'm sorry I don't have more time to talk about these images, really busy day here. One thing I wanted to point out for you to consider. In the pregnancy image, the story should be all about her belly. The way you have posed her, we are looking straight into her stomache so it is flattened out, looking less round. Also there appears to be a heavy handed vignette darkening the corners and edges creating a keyhole effect. On the communion girl, it's a nice idea but you stopped at the wrong point. Right now it just looks contrived. Either back off on the effect or go further and make it a real fantasy type image. I agree about the horizontal lines.

Keith

John_Metcalfe
05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Tony,

First of all anytime, happy to help.

Second, a straight print is best to get critiques start-up critiques. All your attributes and flaws can be addressed simultaneously. Then tweaking can be done instead of tear downs and patchwork.

good luck!