PDA

View Full Version : CC for competition

JohnMalboeuf
05-10-2008, 01:22 AM
I am looking for a case filler for nationals.

In Dad's Arms
http://www.johnmphoto.com/images/DadsArms_lrl.jpg

All comments welcome.

Thanks,
John

Ashley_Short
05-10-2008, 03:43 AM
John,

I'm no expert, but I'm a bit distracted by the tattoos. The first thing I see when looking at the photo is "BIG DOG."

Nice lighting, though.
Hope more ppl comment.

Ashley

Noelle_Zaleski
05-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree with Ashley the tattos are a bit distracting.

Keith_A_Howe
05-10-2008, 02:02 PM
I understand what Ashley and Noelle are saying, but on this print I think the tattoo is part of the story. It perpetuates the idea of a big tough guy who is brought to his knees - metephorically- by a tiny baby. The contrast of tough and hard against sweet and soft. As always I turned to Holly for a title and she came up with "There's a New Dog in Town"

What is a problem with the tattoo IMO is the lower one. The cross isn't needed for this story and that lower left corner is the brightest area of the image. I would crop it out. I am looking at this on my old laptop with the poor moniter so that may be effecting what I am seeing, but the print looks muddy to me, no snap. That is fixable in PS. The other issue is loss of detail in the baby's eyes. I can't see any seperation from the iris to the pupil. Again, that's fixable. I don't feel strongly that this will merit, but with corrections it will at least be close. I would send it.
Keith

Stewart_Schulze
05-10-2008, 04:23 PM
i like the image.
there is one thing you might want to put a little detail in the dark part of the babies hair and the eye of the man just above the nose just try to get a little separation

JohnMalboeuf
05-11-2008, 02:50 AM
I understand what Ashley and Noelle are saying, but on this print I think the tattoo is part of the story. It perpetuates the idea of a big tough guy who is brought to his knees - metephorically- by a tiny baby. The contrast of tough and hard against sweet and soft. As always I turned to Holly for a title and she came up with "There's a New Dog in Town"

What is a problem with the tattoo IMO is the lower one. The cross isn't needed for this story and that lower left corner is the brightest area of the image. I would crop it out. I am looking at this on my old laptop with the poor moniter so that may be effecting what I am seeing, but the print looks muddy to me, no snap. That is fixable in PS. The other issue is loss of detail in the baby's eyes. I can't see any seperation from the iris to the pupil. Again, that's fixable. I don't feel strongly that this will merit, but with corrections it will at least be close. I would send it.
Keith

Hi Guys,

I like your title. How is this?

"There's a New Dog in Town"
http://www.johnmphoto.com/images/Theresanewdogintown2_lr.jpg

John

Keith_A_Howe
05-11-2008, 03:04 AM
John
I like this crop better. I see what looks like a crossover problem now on the highlights on the mans forhead and arm. It is showing a blueish look that I would guess is from using burn highlights on a duotone to create the sepia look. At least thats what it looks like on this old laptop. I will check it later on my good monitor and maybe play with the image a bit if thats ok with you.
Keith

Stewart_Schulze
05-11-2008, 03:26 AM
i like the new crop but you might want to remove whatever is under the mans chin.

JohnMalboeuf
05-11-2008, 03:30 AM
Hi Keith,

Thank you. This is my first portriat of this type.

Hi Stewart,

I missed that. I will take it out.

John

Rick_Massarini
05-12-2008, 06:39 AM
Holly has nailed another Merit Title !!!
John - if it hangs - you owe Holly a nice big box of chocolate !!!!!
Hey, with a GENUINE Holly Howe title on it - it can't help but hang !!!

Art_Wright
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
John, if you go back to the original color image, and color the baby's irises bright green, then you can adjust the Iris intensity in CS3 B&W conversion to get the separation that Keith mentioned... Here is "In His Grip" before and after said adjustment... I used bright green for the iris color as there is no green in the (healthy) skin tones...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/noiris.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/Rebel-E/Iris.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
05-12-2008, 01:55 PM
John
I do not see the cross over now but I think I like it better in BW. Also is there more on the right side of the image of the baby? I think it feels a bit too tight but can't tell till I see it. Make sure print quality is good and personally I would avoid metalic paper as it can be kinda erie looking on images like these some times. JMO Keith

JohnMalboeuf
05-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi Art,

I love that image. I will give that a try.

Hi Keith,

There is a little more. I will try a recrop. I am on the fence with BW or Sepia type tone. I will post both.

John