PDA

View Full Version : Help with background

Auralee_Dallas
05-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I need one more for the PPA comp in June. Since my portraits bombed at regionals, I'm thinking of this one. I gotten feedback on this one and made the changes so now I need to select a background.
Brown, or Tan and black one to follow.

D._Craig_Flory
05-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi Auralee;

I'd recommend none of those. Try two layers ... one in black on the bottom and the top in a color picked from the water. It seems to be a shade of purple I think. Lower the opacity of the top layer till the saturation and deepness suit you.

I also suggest flipping the subject layer. The tall peak looks to be the main focus so I'd put that on the right side of the presentation.

Would you like me to post how I see it being presented ?

Auralee_Dallas
05-09-2008, 08:14 PM
ooops, I guess I forgot to post the black one. Thanks for your reply D. Craig, but flipping is maybe not an ooption. Would you flip an image of Half Dome? This is a pretty popular tourist place in California. Would you still flip it?

Don_Chick
05-09-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't recognize it as a famous place, so flipping it (to me) wouldn't cause me to know something was up. I did; however, flip the image to look at it that way and (imo) it isn't as strong... It created a light trap way over on the right that my eye couldn't get out of easily...

I do like the darker/black mat.

D._Craig_Flory
05-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Hi Auralee;

I see what Don meant. However, I still think that black is too deep. Here is what I did earlier for you & still like this color matte.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Monolith.jpg

Rick_Massarini
05-12-2008, 06:53 AM
I like the flipped version that D. Craig just did. If this is a famous spot, I don't recognize it (and I'm deeply into backpacking and the outdoors - so where is this place???). Personally, from a purely visual point of view, I would go with the flipped version and tone down the sky just a little bit in the center and on the top right side to keep your eye from getting locked on the bright sky on the right top corner (if flipped).

StaceyDamon
05-12-2008, 11:25 AM
I like the dark matte...it really makes your image POP, rather than getting lost in the matte. I say don't flip....

Heather_L._Smith
05-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I prefer the dark mat, too, although I might drop the brightness of the stroke just a tad.

Oh, and I prefer without the flip (the original layout)

Keith_A_Howe
05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Auralee I vote the black mat as well, un flipped. I think that this image should be taken down in levals to 9 for the blacks and .90 midtones. Then I would use the dodge highlights at about 5% to lift the highlights on the rocks (do not get into the sky). Next burn shadows about 4% and go over the shadow side of the rocks. This will add more light directions and demension to the image.
Keith

Auralee_Dallas
05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks everyone!!! I appreciate your feedback and I'll get right to work......

Edit: I guess it isn't "famous" but in California it is known. It is Mono Lake located in the high desert area of the eastern Sierra. It's right on the other side of Yosemite, so if you travel through Yosemite eastward, you can't miss it. In 1941 water was diverted from the rivers that feed into the lake and diverted to So. Calif. That completely destroyed the ecosystem and ultimately it became a political issue and created a big "save Mono Lake" movement. Now the lake level is rising and last time I was there, I could not find the place in the photo due to erosion and rising lake level.

Thanks again to all who commented.