PDA

View Full Version : Needing titles

Tiffany_Schmitt
05-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Well, I need help with some titles for these....And I know some of you are excellent in this department.

They are just for our regional comp, but I still want to do as best I can. CC welcome for anything that I can still do to change them.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/summer.jpg

Summer is an 11 year old gal that came in for a modeling shoot...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/harleyjpg-1.jpg

This is just a snapshot of sorts that I had taken at a Harley Rally last year and thought I would try to do something with it...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/IMG_6004-1copy.jpg

This one...This one of course I would rather have had the little girls arm around the boy with him looking lovingly at his new sister, but alas...Yeah right. I am just happy that I got one of all three of them together. I earned my stripes that day. But, is there anything that I can do to help this image.
I thought about 'Don't touch' as a title for this one since she is putting her hand on his arm. That kind of ties it together a little anyway.

Thanks so much for any suggestions on titles.

Tiffany

Tiffany_Schmitt
05-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I see the stroke around Summer looks funny, it's not like that on the larger image.

Sorry, I also forgot to put a stroke around the kids one, it is down in the lower right corner of the canvas.

Tiff

Keith_A_Howe
05-01-2008, 04:04 AM
The first one of the girl - I see where you are going with the matte but it is too distracting. I would go with a plain dark brown. Her right hand looks almost caucasin instead of ethnic. You need to burn it down. Title - soemthing like "Defiance" or "Adolescent Attitude" The hurdle this print will have to overcome is this idea has been done over and over - girl in a hood, hands holding collar.

motorcycle flags - Title " True Colors or "I Pledge Allegiance". You said it yourself "This is just a snapshot of sorts ". I think your score will reflect that.

two kids and baby - I like "Don't Touch". In fact that was the title I thought of before I read your whole post. I am uncomfortable with the effect used. I am afraid under judging lights it will not hold up well. And is it supposed to have a blue cast? Or is that just my old laptop moniter? I think it neds to be pure B&W. I would suggest printing it on an inkjet on watercolor paper.

Never never never enter a partial case. Grab something off the walls for your forth print if you have too. There was a guy in NE that would have been Photographer of the Year if his 4th print had got a 69! He only entered 3. Always fill your case because you never know. Ask Carolle Dachowski what her case filler print was this year.

Keith

Noelle_Zaleski
05-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Never never never enter a partial case. Grab something off the walls for your forth print if you have too.

Listen to the man!

I had three prints to enter two days before the dealine. I called Michael Travisano who was in charge of collecting the prints and he said you should really have 4 prints for your first time. This was on a Saturday, prints due on Monday. I found a lab open and they printed my fourth print for me. Had I only entered 3 prints I would not have gotten Rookie of the year.

Good luck!!

Anne_LeBouton
05-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Keith, by regional Tiffany means a local affiliate that only covers part of Wisconsin. We have 4 local affiliates that are part of our larger state wide affiliate. At the one Gary and I are part of, we are limited to only 2 prints per meeting. I think the one Tiffany belongs to has similar rules. The scores at these don't count for more than a way to get an idea how your print will score at state and national and bragging rights in your local town. Our local regionals can't give seals of approval, only our state wide affiliate can do that.

Anne_LeBouton
05-01-2008, 01:44 PM
You could always do like one of our regional members does an label them "Customer Print Number ---". :rolleyes:

I actually like the Harley image. It needs a title that plays off both the flags, like "We Ride to Remember".

I'll have to think about the other 2 and run them past Gary. I take it you have till Monday? Which reminds me, we need to finish our newsletter which means I need to get Gary a treasurer's report.

Keith_A_Howe
05-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Keith, by regional Tiffany means a local affiliate that only covers part of Wisconsin. We have 4 local affiliates that are part of our larger state wide affiliate. At the one Gary and I are part of, we are limited to only 2 prints per meeting. I think the one Tiffany belongs to has similar rules. The scores at these don't count for more than a way to get an idea how your print will score at state and national and bragging rights in your local town. Our local regionals can't give seals of approval, only our state wide affiliate can do that.

I knew she meant a local. I had never heard of a local allowing less than four. I have seen some that allow 5, 6 or in one place they allowed 10! So that's a new one on me. And of course I was aware that a local can't give seals. I would still tell anyone who is starting out, always enter as many as you can.

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
05-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Here are mine ... "Don't Bug Me" ! // "These Colors Don't Run" / and
"Hey There, Little One".

Ruth_Berry
05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi,

I hope it's okay to post without posting a "new member" type message first.

anyway, the first one; "You don't see me." I love the expression, and that she's wearing camo. or maybe, "you didn't see me. I wasn't here. got it?"

the third one, "Don't touch" or "Don't touch. it's MY turn." something to say that the big sister is bossing the little brother about the baby. it's definately the hand on his arm and the expressions that hold the title to this one!

Let us know what you decide!

God bless,
Ruth Berry

Keith_A_Howe
05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
// "These Colors Don't Run" .

Good idea - but how about "These Colors DO run"" ? Don't they have motorcycle events called runs? Like fun runs or road runs? So it would be a play on words.

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
05-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi Ruth;

Welcome ! I like to see someone new jump in with both feet right away.

Hi Tiffany;

I forgot before. On the 1st image I suggest you make the eyes match.
Now, only one has a good glint to it.

Anne_LeBouton
05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Keith, our locals are different than what most areas have for locals. Our print competitions are different too, with each local having their own rules, many of which are similar to the PPA rules but with extras to cover our unique situation. The one Gary and I belong to has 6 meetings a year, 4 of which we have print competitions at. We limit it to 2 entries per photographer because otherwise it would go on all day and we wouldn't have time for our speaker.

D._Craig_Flory
05-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Good idea - but how about "These Colors DO run"" ? Don't they have motorcycle events called runs? Like fun runs or road runs? So it would be a play on words.

Keith

Hi Keith;

As an air force vet ... I meant that as a patriotic title ... as in our country runs from no one and our flag stands for that. With both the US Flag, and the POW flag, I was going for the patriotic angle. It's sort of like the old "Don't Tread On Me" flag. So, your version means something entirely different.

Keith_A_Howe
05-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi Keith;

As an air force vet ... I meant that as a patriotic title ... as in our country runs from no one and our flag stands for that. With both the US Flag, and the POW flag, I was going for the patriotic angle. It's sort of like the old "Don't Tread On Me" flag. So, your version means something entirely different.

No, my title means the same thing - the rider runs under or rides for those colors. I understood what you were going for and I was embellishing on that.
Keith

Tiffany_Schmitt
05-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks so much for the replies...

Keith, I really appreciate your honesty. And your knowledge. Thank you so much for all the great advice you give. Anne had it right on the money as far as only being able to take two, but if nothing else, I'll just have them for me...

Ruth, you pegged that one just right...Although the little boy does need a little bossing. I'm lucky I got that much.

DCF, Thanks for those thoughts. I did catch the light in her eye and changed it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Still open for anymore suggestions though, anyone. I have until Monday. Good thing the meeting is at my place since these prints won't be in until around 11:00 on Monday. :eek:

Tiff

Anne_LeBouton
05-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Ahhh, the last minute print arrival! Like the tales I've heard about hanging the print out the car window to get the lacquer to dry on the way to the meeting.

So, what time does the party start at your place! :D

Tiffany_Schmitt
05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Well, here it is. Rather surprised me.

Red, White and True. (Came to me as I was filling out the tag right before handing it in....)

Scored 79, challenged, went to 79 again, challenged again, raised to 80. They discussed the print for about 15 mins. I saw alot of things to change for next time, sure do learn alot from it. It also got the Gold Arrow, which is the best of show. You need an 80 or more and if there are more than one, the judges vote. We had 4 80's so they voted....I guess it was my lucky day...I also won a hundred dollar scholarship to school for this year which I also had a $400.00 scholarship to already.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/harleyjpg-1.jpg

I know it's only the regionals, but it's still fun and I really do learn alot from it.

Tiff

Keith_A_Howe
05-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Congratulations Tiffany!!!

I know it's only the regionals, but it's still fun and I really do learn alot from it.
Tiff
And that is why we do it!

Again Way to go!
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
For when I'm involved in coming up with titles, I came up with a MS Publisher form a few years ago. I put in small versions of the images on the left. On the right are spaces to right in titles as they occur to me. So as I'm out and about, and I get some inspiration, I jot them down. It stays in my pocket. If I go out to lunch I can look at it as I eat to try for titles away from the studio.

I hope this gives an idea for others to use.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/TitleIdeasForm.jpg

Anne_LeBouton
05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Congrats! I had a feeling about that one!

How many scholarships do they give out and how often? How do they award them? I'm curious because we're trying to revive the scholarship program we used to have in our regional and are looking for ideas.

Tiffany_Schmitt
05-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Thanks all! Now I am going to give the print to the guy that owns the bar that the bikes are in front of...I know he'll like it.

We do a $100.00 scholarship to Treehaven each meeting, so 7 in total. You can only win once a year and you have to be an attending member. I do think it helps participation at Treehaven. Down a little this year, so I hope there is some work in progress to revive it. Such a great educational experience (and a bit of fun too!) And so close for so many. It's really great if you like a bit of ruffin it.

Tiffany

Anne_LeBouton
05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks Tiffany. I like the idea of tieing it to attendance. Do you draw for them or is it tied to print entry?