PDA

View Full Version : Images for Submission

Angela_Lawson
04-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi all. Well, I worked real hard for the last couple of months to get my lighting where it needed to be for image submission review. I am no longer the "President of Flat-Lighters Anonymous", so hopefully I have put together a portfolio of qualified images. I have 30 images that I would like comments on, and to narrow down to the 20 I need for submission. (Several are of the same subjects, so please pick the best one).

Please review at www.aglphotodigital.com/gallery

Thanks. And yes, I know a bunch of you are away in NH, but hopefully if you have a minute, I would love the cc.

Cindi_Delaney
04-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Angela I looked at them, but I'm clueless.:confused:
I'm anxiously waiting to hear what our gurus have to say. I keep hoping the light bulb will go on and I'll know what images of my own to choose for the CPP image submission review.

I think you have some nice stuff, but as you know was a member of flatlighters myself until recently.

It does make me wonder.
They say prepare them like you would for a client. But I have many happy clients and I don't think those images would qualify.
Starting to prepare for my CPP exam and image review has made me start to rethink many things.:eek:

monicamartin
04-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Hi Angela
I'm no guru but I am certified. (My daughter says she always knew I was certifiable...)

Meanwhile, you have some very nice stuff here. I will only comment on a handful.

No. 2, the color bothers me; it's not quite sepia, too yellow for me, a nice record shot otherwise.

No. 3, the crop is too close on her, it feels like she must be choking.

No. 12, the color of the blanket completely overwhelms the baby.

No. 16, straight on to camera, doesn't slim her as much

Nos. 16 and 21, the textures are interesting, is that currently 'cool' for the seniors? But I tend to go for a 'cleaner' image.

No. 20; this is the first one I'd pull; she is a large girl and broad lighting doesn't flatter her.

Nos. 24 and 29 are the same person, I think; you can only have one of any client in the 20.

Good luck to you! As I said, there's a lot of good stuff happening too.

Leana_Moss
04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Angela,
I'm not certified, nor am I a guru, but I am the wife of a CPP that unfortunately RARELY posts on here....(kinda like staying at a Holiday Inn last night ;-)

#5 - I love the thought of the image, fall and outside, but I would have placed them a good 10 feet or more in front of where they are. As is, that fence and wagon wheel are too in focus for me. I think it's just a 'style' thing, not a certifiable thing!

# 6, 9 & 14 - there are wrinkles in the muslin that are distracting to me. in post processing go blur them, but when shooting in the future, either move your subject further away from the backdrop or use a smaller depth of field to get the background out of focus.

Way to go for getting these together! You are well on your way!

Angela_Lawson
04-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks Cindi - I know it's tough but just keep plugging away. I prepare stuff in all different ways for clients, so I'm sending them in that way. Hopefully that doesn't actually hurt me in the long run. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Monica and Leana - Thank you for the input. I'll go back and blur the muslins a bit on the couple that need it. (I think I've been looking at them too long now). And when I look at No. 2 on my husband's computer, the color isn't right either, so I'll see if I can get it to where it's supposed to be. And I do have a couple of them that are of the same people - Need help narrowing them down too.

Thanks again ladies.

Anyone else want to CC please?!!!

Art_Wright
04-29-2008, 01:41 PM
#28 looks like the dog is floating on air...

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi Angela - Kudos to you for working hard on your lighting.
I'm submitting images for CPP for the first time in May, so you can take my opinion or leave it. ;)
But here's my thoughts on all your images:
1. Yes
2. no - took me too long to figure out what it was (but then again i don't do weddings on my own)
3. no - left eye in shadow is bothering me
4. maybe - do a little more processing - needs more contrast...bring out the clouds more
5. yes
6. yes
7. maybe - mixed keys (dark on light)
8. maybe - it's ok, but her top is way too busy for the scene, and I can't see any light in her eyes.
9. yes - just needs a little more retouching
10. i don't know what this is
11. yes - but light is a little low
12. yes
13. yes
14. yes
15. no - i don't think the dogs and the background go together color-wise
16. no - not a flattering pose - too straight-on to camera and the left eye is in shadow (from hairlight I think?)
17. no (prefer 18)
18. yes
19. yes
20. no - too straight on to camera
21. maybe - the texture is too much - try masking the texture from their faces and hands
22. yes
23. yes
24. yes
25. yes
26. yes - i picked this over 27 because it's more story-telling
27. no (see 26)
28. no - looks like he's floating - but i do like the color-harmony
29. no (prefer the other one over this one)
30. yes - lighting is good, but I don't think the background really goes with the outfit.

Angela_Lawson
04-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Cassandra,

Thank you so much for taking the time to list them all, and why you didn't like certain ones. Most of the iffy ones are the ones I wasn't sure of either, and I may have to add a few more to look at, but I really do appreciate your help.

Oh, and No10 is a small bell/party favor on the tables at a wedding reception I did. The guests are supposed to ring them to get the bride and groom to kiss. I just liked the way it looked sitting alone on the table. But if you aren't sure what it is, then I guess I should definitely pull that one. :)

Thanks again.

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Ah - see now that you put it into context...it makes sense. For it to stand on it's own, I picture a lower angle ..a little off to the side, and the B&G oof in the background kissing. I'm sure it made a nice image for the album as-is. :)

ericrichards
05-03-2008, 09:57 PM
When preparing images for submission, please keep in mind that the panel is looking at your work to see if you have demonstrated that you can produce images of "professional" quality, not just saleable. Images are not judged according to the 12 Elements of a Merit Print (http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=559), but based upon whether the body of work, your submission of images, shows you understand and can implement professional photography techniques and controls. (proper focal length lens selection for portraiture, using creative lighting and avoiding the typical "flash on camera" point and shoot look, is the posing static or is it dynamic, do you show that your images have good, consistent color, b&W images are not dull and flat looking but have rich tonal ranges and highlights are not over-exposed. If your submission is not acceptable, you will be provided with reasons as to why and what areas you may need to concentrate your study to improve for the next submission.