PDA

View Full Version : OURPPA.COM at Texas School

Michael_Bobinski
04-22-2008, 09:55 PM
After studying the Texas School schedule, I believe we could have an unofficial OURPPA.COM social hour during the Country Store held at the new Expo Center on Wednesday Evening. (The Country Store is a large one-night trade show at TX School) Since they open the doors at 5:00 PM, how about we "meet" and socialize between 6:30 and 7:30. I'll take care of whatever sign we need, and will probably set up at one of the empty tables or in the lobby.

Michael.B

David_Piet
04-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Great idea Michael!

Debra_Warner
04-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Well... I will be there if someone directs me in the right direction to the said location.. :cool:

Mark_Katz
04-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Michael, count me in!

Barbara_Adelman
04-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Sounds good to me - I'll find it when I get there!

Michael_Bobinski
04-23-2008, 03:30 PM
The 16x20 print offers are available again this year. There will be 4 available - 3 from BWC and one from another vendor. To take advantage of this, put three files on a CD to turn in to BWC, one file on a CD to turn in to another vendor. They print up the 16x20 for free and have it back before you go home from Texas School. You can also use images that you made during class. Its something that all in attendance should take advantage of.

Of course, we are going to have to take an OURPPA - Texas School Group pic to post on the forum. I wonder if there will be any photographers ther who could do that for us.:rolleyes:

Carsten_von_Hedemann
04-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I I'll be there :)

derrick_waiters
04-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Hello Group

I will be there as well also Hosting the pizza party on Sunday evening.

Debra_Warner
04-23-2008, 11:33 PM
The 16x20 print offers are available again this year. There will be 4 available - 3 from BWC and one from another vendor. To take advantage of this, put three files on a CD to turn in to BWC, one file on a CD to turn in to another vendor. They print up the 16x20 for free and have it back before you go home from Texas School. You can also use images that you made during class. Its something that all in attendance should take advantage of.

Of course, we are going to have to take an OURPPA - Texas School Group pic to post on the forum. I wonder if there will be any photographers ther who could do that for us.:rolleyes:

What's the purpose of printing such a big print for us? That's a lot to carry back on the plane and not get crushed!!

Tess_Teter
04-24-2008, 01:15 AM
You could get a mailing tube that would slip into your suitcase and not crush your prints. I'm not a fan of rolling prints, but it might be your easiest option.

How silly of you to ask why they have to print something big... everyone knows everything is bigger here in Texas. *giggle*

If you haven't heard the obligatory Texas Biggie's joke...
http://www.youthink.com/jokes.cfm?action=go_detail&obj_id=55612&filter=discussed

Michael_Bobinski
04-24-2008, 04:39 AM
What's the purpose of printing such a big print for us? That's a lot to carry back on the plane and not get crushed!!

The prints are delivered to you in tubes already. You don't have to take advantage of the offer, but the labs want you to try them out. I think they'll let you print smaller if you want. But here's a chance to update display prints for your studio, create some advertising posters, etc.

Debra_Warner
04-24-2008, 04:47 AM
The prints are delivered to you in tubes already. You don't have to take advantage of the offer, but the labs want you to try them out. I think they'll let you print smaller if you want. But here's a chance to update display prints for your studio, create some advertising posters, etc.

That's nice they come in tubes!! I was down at Light Pro and we didn't get tubes or anything and I ended up ruining my print. :(

Rick_Massarini
04-24-2008, 07:24 AM
I'll be there - look forward to seeing all of you...

Don_Chick
04-24-2008, 01:16 PM
That's nice they come in tubes!! I was down at Light Pro and we didn't get tubes or anything and I ended up ruining my print. :(

Debi,

Kinda hard to roll a mounted 16x20 to put it into a mailing tube isn't it!! :eek:

Debra_Warner
04-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Debi,

Kinda hard to roll a mounted 16x20 to put it into a mailing tube isn't it!! :eek:

That's right they were mounted... Mr. Smarty Pants! :) I guess I was thinking about the prints that Canon printed out for us.

Art_Wright
04-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Be careful how you speak to the Don... :eek:

Debra_Warner
04-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Be careful how you speak to the Don... :eek:

well he is.... :rolleyes:

Michael_Bobinski
04-24-2008, 05:56 PM
But is The Don coming to Texas School???

MaryHenry
04-25-2008, 07:47 PM
I will be there!

David_Piet
04-25-2008, 09:43 PM
It's about time for us to hop in the car and head to Texas. See you all there!

Debra_Warner
04-25-2008, 11:13 PM
It's about time for us to hop in the car and head to Texas. See you all there!

sheesh... I'm flying in Sunday morning..

Michael... can you pm me your cell phone number?

See you all Sunday! I hope!

David_Piet
04-25-2008, 11:21 PM
sheesh... I'm flying in Sunday morning..

!

This is our first road trip in years! We're actually looking forward to the drive, despite the gas prices. If we don't get out of here soon, it will be a long ride tomorrow. CYA there!

Mark_Katz
04-26-2008, 01:51 AM
I'll drive in Sunday at about noon. That's the great thing about living just an hour and a half from College Station.

Michael_Bobinski
04-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Well, it's Monday Night and the Barbecue Party is in full swing. I had to drive someone back to their hotel because they weren't feeling well, so I skipped the rest of the party tonight and just came home. :(

I've already met up with Rick Massarini, Mark Katz and Debra Warner. (Deb flew here all the way from Iowa, has only been here 30 hours and says she's already had so much fun she's coming back next year) :cool:

Anyone else who is at the Texas School and is reading this (if they survived the party Tuesday night) :eek: can meet up with everyone else in attendance from OURPPA.Com on Wednesday night at the country store tradeshow around 6-6:30. Group picture will be posted on here when available. Following that unofficial meeting of OURPPA.Com there will also be a tour of the Bluefish Photography studio for those interested.

David_Piet
04-29-2008, 04:46 AM
We're back from the BBQ party and ready for some needed sleep. I'm in a class in a studio off campus so I've only seen Tess and my darling wife. I'll try to make it Weds night, but we might have a class conflict.

Michael_Bobinski
04-29-2008, 11:38 AM
We're back from the BBQ party and ready for some needed sleep.

Sleep???? You came to Texas School and expected to sleep????;)

I'm in a class in a studio off campus so I've only seen Tess and my darling wife. I'll try to make it Weds night, but we might have a class conflict.

David... The Wednesday night Unofficial OURPPA.Com time was planned to be during the Country Store at the Expo Center. The meeting time was set 90 minutes after the tradeshow started in order to give everyone some time to visit (i.e. spend money:eek: ) with the vendors first. Its also where the free dinner is going to be served. I heard your instructor was tough and strict, but to keep you away from a Texas School Party and tradeshow to continue a class? :confused: :confused:

David_Piet
04-30-2008, 05:33 AM
What can I say Michael, I'm getting too old for these all night parties! I'm planning on being at the OURPPA site at 6 PM sharp sir! :rolleyes:

Tess_Teter
04-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Our teacher may be tough and strict, but he's a gem and we love him! Our class is going to an undisclosed off-campus dining establishment that is not free to have dinner together and worship o captain our captain. :p

We don't mean to miss out on any unofficial OurPPA fun, but we'll see if we can swing it.

So far I've seen Mark K, Rick M, David P (of course!), and I wonder who else I'm leaving out?

....let's just hope none of them saw me tonight at the reception party.

Michael_Bobinski
04-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Our teacher may be tough and strict, but he's a gem and we love him! Our class is going to an undisclosed off-campus dining establishment that is not free to have dinner together and worship o captain our captain. :p

We don't mean to miss out on any unofficial OurPPA fun.....

Oh Sure...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Go spend extra time with someone you've been staring at all week. Watch the chain swing back and forth....you are now becoming sleepy....when I snap my fingers you'll wake up...:D

And unlike my "character" last night, I promise not to pinch anyone's butt tonight.

Don_Chick
04-30-2008, 03:33 PM
But is The Don coming to Texas School???

Sorry, just got back from the NH Conference and saw this....

I have ALWAYS wanted to come to the Texas School as a student. I have heard so many great things about it.
I also wouldn't mind coming as an instructor.... If you know anyone that I could talk too....:D :D

I hope you guys are learning lots of stuff..... and having a great time!

Michael_Bobinski
05-01-2008, 03:48 AM
Well, the unofficial OURPPA.Com meeting took place at the dinner during the tradeshow Wednesday evening. It was fun to meet everyone face to face.

Back Row L-R: Norine Piet, David Piet, Michael Bobinski, Debra Warner, Don Barnes, Rick Massarini.

Front kneeling: Mark Katz, Ed Kelley

Tomorrow is the last full day of class, with Friday morning the conclusion and graduation. Friday afternoon: Sleep!

David_Piet
05-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Thanks for arranging this Michael! It was great meeting everyone! Texas School has been a fantastic experience and I hope to be back next year, and the year after that, and the year after that...

Michael_Bobinski
05-01-2008, 04:26 AM
More pictures.

Yes, Mark Katz REALLY does walk around like that! ;)

Mark_Katz
05-01-2008, 04:48 AM
More pictures.

Yes, Mark Katz REALLY does walk around like that! ;)

I was wondering if you were going to post that ultra flattering image of me. Thank goodness you caught me on one of my better days! :D

Michael_Bobinski
05-01-2008, 11:51 AM
I was wondering if you were going to post that ultra flattering image of me. Thank goodness you caught me on one of my better days! :D

Actually, thats how half the Texas School students look right now....

No sleep, too much partying, and of course the information overload from their classroom.;)

Barbara_Adelman
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Sorry - missed meeting up with everyone - I was one of those crazed exhausted people! - I did get to meet several of the OurPPA members and had a lot of fun - Tony's class ruled - we had a great group and learned a lot!

Now it's back to work!

derrick_waiters
05-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Hello Texas School Students.

Ii was good to see so many of you and I hope you enjoyed the pizza party.
Michael why is there not a post of you from the wedding?

Also can everyone post the one major thing that they learned ( I realize there was so much) from their instructor please list the instructor.

For example I took John Michel Hanna, (Weddings)
The one major thing I learned was; In shooting finding new angles for some of my photos, like shooting the church exteriors for the opening of the wedding album. :cool:

David_Piet
05-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Don MacGregor (Lifestyle Portraiture)

The one major thing I learned was how to light people for outdoor portraiture, both individuals and large groups. Since that was my goal, it was well fulfilled. A fantastic class and the Texas School experience is second to none!

Michael_Bobinski
05-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Michael why is there not a post of you from the wedding?

Right now the only picture I have of myself in costume was one taken in the Kodak/WHCC group photo set with 11 other people. I asked permission to scan and publish the freebie 5x7 they gave us, and have been instructed by the owners of those images that I can only scan an image of myself, and would need the permission of the 11 other people in the group before I could post it.

So, respecting the permissions I have been given by the maker of the image, I give you what I have.

Mark_Katz
05-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Well, I saw Michael walking around. How he didn't end up in the Dark Slide, I just don't know!

The number 1 thing I learned at Texas School this year is... Tony Corbell can certainly attract a lot of pretty women to his class! :D

Number 2 is there are a lot of really cool lighting techniques that I'm going to start using... IF I CAN REMEMBER THEM ALL :eek:

Oh and 1 other cool thing that had nothing to do with the class (but Corbell did show it to us). With a D200, D300 or D3, if you press the lock button on the back of the camera, ALL of your shooting info shows up on the back display. Go try it. Now.

derrick_waiters
05-07-2008, 07:26 PM
You are right about Tony attracting the pretty women.
He will be speaking at the Dallas guild later in the year and we are expecting a big turnout (men and women). Also I did know Tony shot Nikon.
I will start to post some of my stuff as soon as possible.:cool: