PDA

View Full Version : Duck at sunset, CC please

Noelle_Zaleski
04-18-2008, 12:16 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/duckWEB.jpg

John_Metcalfe
04-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Is there detail in the blacks on the duck? I also am being drawn away by the highlights above and to the right of your subject, along with the lower right. A little trimming would cure that.
I also see a halo around the rock on further inspection, this will need to be addressed.

Noelle_Zaleski
04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for looking:)

Ok John are you suggesting I burn down some highlights and the halo? Also should I get rid of any and all details left on the duck?

D._Craig_Flory
04-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Noelle;

Wow, that's gorgeous ! I must say, though, I expected to see a person low to the ground "ducking" down as in the verb "duck" and not the noun duck. :o

I would suggest cropping off a sliver from the bottom. One ripple is fairly bright and draws my eyes. I'd also crop off a little from the left side ... but not much. I love it !!!

John_Metcalfe
04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for looking:)

Ok John are you suggesting I burn down some highlights and the halo? Also should I get rid of any and all details left on the duck?

I would rather see you trim then burn the highlights for when you burn you give the panel one more thing to count against you if it is a distraction.

The shadow detail I believe can be enhanced. A duck has a natural oil on it's feathers that is reflective. By building it up you may enhance the feathers over the rest of what is in the shadows.

Noelle_Zaleski
04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I would rather see you trim then burn the highlights for when you burn you give the panel one more thing to count against you if it is a distraction.

The shadow detail I believe can be enhanced. A duck has a natural oil on it's feathers that is reflective. By building it up you may enhance the feathers over the rest of what is in the shadows.

hmm, how do you suggest the best way to enhance his details would be?

John_Metcalfe
04-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I have taken a look in PS at the image and made a few changes for your viewing pleasure. I cropped in on all 4 sides. The most was on the top and bottom. Your background was not black but your duck (on the lo res) was totally black (no detail). This would mean your background color would appear muddy under the lights. I changed that on my version. See if it makes a difference to you. I also toned down the lower right corner under the rock and the rock and above the duck. I then moved your trim line away from the image. the reason being the color matched part of the color in the print.

Now after making the changes and having spent some quality time with it, I find it is falling short. It lacks the 3 dimensional range I'm wishing for.

John_Metcalfe
04-18-2008, 01:01 PM
hmm, how do you suggest the best way to enhance his details would be?

If there is detail, my favorites are:

adding grain
unsharp mask
soft focus layer (around 20%)
lucis art (around 20%)

Noelle_Zaleski
04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
thanks for taking the time John. I like the trim and not really sure why it needs a 3 dimentional look, sorry this is all new to me.

Noelle_Zaleski
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I am going to post the original so we can take it from the beginning. Jeez, I guess I have to buy Lucis now.

Noelle_Zaleski
04-18-2008, 01:09 PM
origanal image

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/IMG_6371web.jpg

John_Metcalfe
04-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Compare this image to your 90 print and take note of the light enhancing values.

Both have some quality of angular light, but your ducks has no visible rim light.
Both have a good side view, but your ducks lack depth due to the higher angle.
Both have shadows, but when I put my color checker on the duck all I got was zeros, meaning no detail. Now this is a lo-res and the colors will pop under the lights. By changing your blacks outside the print and moving your trimline away from your image, and getting rid of your hotspots, you've gained points. Is it enough? Hopefully others will put in their 2 cents...

John_Metcalfe
04-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, I see there is detail! You posted the original while I was responding...

Due you notice the leading lights and shapes taking you into your subject?

That's 3-dimensional value.

Noelle_Zaleski
04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
ahhh, you see I assumed since it was a silhouette the duck had to be completely black and this is what confuses me.

Thank you so much for helping me, I am like sponge i will remember all your pointers. I will be taking a comp class at my covention next week.

I have precessed two RAW images at different exposures to add some rim light and details, maybe that will help?

Noelle_Zaleski
04-18-2008, 03:34 PM
ok, are we getting somwhere?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/IMG_6372-1-copyweb.jpg

John_Metcalfe
04-18-2008, 04:42 PM
ok, are we getting somwhere?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/IMG_6372-1-copyweb.jpg

Now, let's take what you have hear and refine it. The rim is a bit strong.

But the mix has given it a glazed look. Cool!

Noelle_Zaleski
04-18-2008, 04:51 PM
thanks, so I should tone down the rim a bit. Should I leave the feathers on his back alone, meaning the lighting on them? Also how did you add the deeper purple?

George_Hawkins
04-19-2008, 12:02 AM
thanks, so I should tone down the rim a bit. Should I leave the feathers on his back alone, meaning the lighting on them? Also how did you add the deeper purple?

The rim light on the duck and rock are beautiful and from the same angle.
Fantastic on my monitor!

Score high!

Noelle_Zaleski
04-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback George. there is one thing I am not feeling good about and it's that squigly line to the left of my duck. Should I get rid of it?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f322/noellezale/decem%2007/duck-2-copyweb.jpg

bob_hancock
04-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Nice Image Noelle!!!

Noelle_Zaleski
04-19-2008, 12:34 PM
thanks Bob! Your images always inspire me. Maybe someday we can get together in your kneck of the woods and do some landscapes:)

bob_hancock
04-19-2008, 04:44 PM
thanks Bob! Your images always inspire me. Maybe someday we can get together in your kneck of the woods and do some landscapes:)

Noell, Thanks for the complement!

Our area has one of the best fall foliage, shows in the country! I should put together a fall nature workshop!
Wonder how many would be interested? I would offer a no fee one!
Bob

George_Hawkins
04-20-2008, 12:03 AM

New England for fall foliage is unbeatable!!! Sorry Bob.

Noelle,
Maybe minimize the line. I see from the original, it must originate with a pole or something being reflected in the water. On the very left, it seems to be a nice compositional element. Repeated on the right.
Maybe blending it out from the almost center would help the image.

Beautiful, though, George

Noelle_Zaleski
04-20-2008, 03:14 AM
George, you are correct there is a train bridge overhead. It bothers me I am going to blend it in.

Bob, that would be nice. I'll come!!