View Full Version : in need of CC

Stewart_Schulze
04-16-2008, 09:13 PM
What do you think
http://ssphoto.net/print2008/Daysend.jpg
http://www.ssphoto.net/print2008/Quiet strength.jpg

Laura_Beth_Bailey
04-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I really like the second one...it makes me think of someone that is "Searching" or is "Lost." I get told all the time I over-analyze things and "think" too much...so giggle if you need to, but I love the solitary feeling of the man and the lighthouse...I get the impression that he has been searching for direction and hasn't even seen the lighthouse behind him showing him the way....he's so close to finding the direction but hasn't noticed that it's right there...kind of a spiritual message.

As far as technical cc I'll let more experience do the speaking, but FWIW I like it:D

Cindi_K_McDaniel
04-16-2008, 10:46 PM
I love the second one, but I think I would try moving the bird a bit closer to the lighthouse... It's distracting me where it's at as my eye keeps wondering back to the left...

Stewart_Schulze
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
i did some changes on this one
would also love some title help

http://www.ssphoto.net/print2008/Quiet strength 2.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Hi Stewart;

Ok ... here are a few: "Contemplation" , "Lost in Thought" , "Agony" , or "Inner Turmoil". I think Inner Turmoil is my favorite.

Keith_A_Howe
04-17-2008, 03:36 AM
Stewart

First image,,, What is your center of intrest? The sun is obviously the brightest thing in the image, the gulls feel too large to be in keeping with the image unless they are dramaticly closer to camera than 90% of the image. Or the person hugging the far edge of the image? I am also seeing a sharpening or cut out feel to the gulls which appear to be the sharpest part of the image. As it is the Left half of the image is not needed to tell the story of the right half and like wise the right half isn't needed to tell the story of the Left half.

Second image,,, I see an image that leaves me with questions. What is he doing / holding? It looks like he is looking at or setting his watch. The man either needs to be a silihoute or there should be some light to his face. If you are going to put in the gull, make it the same level of sharpness as the area (plane of focus) of the image that the gull is in. Here we have a narrow depth of field and a gull that is too sharp to be natually where it is located. This will give the judges a feeling that something is wrong and once they see it it will pull the image down. What is the story you are trying to tell? Once you decide on that (while photographing) it will give you direction for the exposure that makes the story sing. For example if the story is of the man and his activity, then expose for him and let the light house setting fall out of focus, light and pastel with a misty almost foggy feeling. If the story is about the feeling of being lost and overwhelmed, make it a dark sihouette with a gloomy feeling lighting. If the story is about the light house and the scene, make the focus point the light house and expose for the mood you want, maybe even max depth of field and a very long shutter speed so the ocean gets that surreal liquid streaky feeling. (hope this makes sence)

My point is that the image doesn't scream to me, instead it is pleasant to look at and with a good title might tell the story. Unfortunately I feel that the image will fall short of the merit catagory.

JMO Keith