PDA

View Full Version : First Time Considering Print Competition - Feedback Requested

Keely_Deuschle
04-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, I've been giving myself goals and my current goal is to start entering print competitions, so I'm starting with our local guild. His pants have some detail in the cuffs that aren't showing up here. Guess I need to adjust it as I know it will print darker at the lab.

Here is one that I'm considering and I would very much appreciate feedback. I've included two different possible layouts.

John_Metcalfe
04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Before you do anything else please allow us to see the original (no retouch).

You will be much more pleased with your final results and we will give you better feedback info being able to see it as such.

Keely_Deuschle
04-16-2008, 08:37 PM
John,

Here is the original. Only editing was the vignette.

He had a really hard time sitting still especially with that chocolate on his lap. I changed the color of his shirt because the keys were different, I just don't know if it looks okay. Also had to adjust the color of his hat as I could not find a black one -- this is blue.

When editing these, they are not as dark as when they appear online.

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi Keely;

This is a cute client image. However, if you had one where he is nibbling a piece of candy .. and NOT grinning at the camera... now that would work well !!! Have you ever seen any of Norman Rockwell's paintings, expecially of kids ? You will do much better with introspective soft expressions & looking anywhere than at the lens.

On this image, the original looks much better !

John_Metcalfe
04-16-2008, 08:56 PM
There's still a heavy burn give it to me raw... or jpg.

Mr Flory is correct btw your image already has things going against it, but for explanation sake let us see the untouched version.

I'll even show one of my to compare it to when you have done so...

Keely_Deuschle
04-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Okay, here's another that is from the same set, more on what the direction of DC is saying. This is absolutely no editing, straight out of the camera. He's looking down, but eyes look almost shut. There might be a few in the set I can head swap on that have more of an expression while looking down.

The smiling at the camera was one question I asked someone locally when he looked at this image and said he didn't see any problem with it. Glad I posted here!

I just cannot figure out why they are appearing so much darker on here.

John_Metcalfe
04-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks...

I'll give it a once over & get back with you... I'll pm you when I have a response.

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Keely;

Now you have it ! Do you see the difference between the "grinning at the camera for Grandma" and the sensitive storytelling portrait you now posted ??? This is much more representative of an image for competition. This could be titled "The Chocoholic".

I hope to see more images of this style from you.

Keith_A_Howe
04-17-2008, 03:50 AM
Keely
I want to give you an "ataboy" for setting the goal and working toward it.
On the last image of him looking down, you have a very nice lighting pattern on his face but the main is striking his arm stronger than his face. You are correct about the shirt being too bright for the background but in the first image the artwork on the shirt is way too obvious. Personally I would crop off his feet and the lid with the bow as they are not adding to the story and instead draw the eye away from him. I feel that there is a color balance problem as well, the skintones do not look natural. The outfit implies that you were trying for a look of yesteryear. If so consider going Sepia or BW.
Keith