PDA

View Full Version : Image Review... can't hide any longer!

Heather_L._Smith
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Alright, guys... time for me to suck it up and post my images for certification. My breakdown is 80% portrait, 20% corporate/commercial, so for the 20 images, we're looking at 16 portrait, 4 corporate/commercial.

Have at it...

http://www.smithphotodesign.com/Certification/

Roger_Williams
04-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Alright, guys... time for me to suck it up and post my images for certification. My breakdown is 80% portrait, 20% corporate/commercial, so for the 20 images, we're looking at 16 portrait, 4 corporate/commercial.

Have at it...

http://www.smithphotodesign.com/Certification/

Luv them. I'm the last person you should ever take advice from as I just entered my first competition last month ( and got 1 80) but the very last picture bothers me. Her blouse is way to billowed out, looks really strange to me. Can you crop the image across the top and cut out her arm, just right where the arm meets the pink. This will cut out most of the open blouse and I think it looks better but as I said, I am not even in the same ball game as you and so many others here.

Nylora_Bruleigh
04-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Hey Heather!

You have some great images here!
I think all you have to worry about at this point is the exam!

:D

Angela_Lawson
04-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi Heather.

I'm still in the process of trying to pull my submissions together (again), since I didn't make it first time out, so I'm not really the right person to comment on much. Especially since I keep second guessing myself on everything. Anyway, there's one that doesn't grab me; that's number 14. With her arm covering her mouth, so you can't see a smile, I'd really want to be drawn to her eyes then. But there really aren't much for catchlights to draw me there either. Just my very small $.02, if it's worth that much. I must say that I really liked most of the baby and kid ones - very cute.

John_Metcalfe
04-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Overall I thought things were fine, a bit over retouched for my taste but good. My least favs were:

14 the eyes fell short, 18 the front of the item was not lit as well as the rest of the image, 23 too hot on forehead, 27 eyes look closed

Hope this helps.

Best of luck

Heather_L._Smith
04-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Great feedback, guys! Thank you very much. The ones you've pointed out so far are the same ones on my "pull" list, so that's good news!

Noelle_Zaleski
04-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Heather, I think they are all really nice. you have a great variety and your lighting is really, really nice.

George_Hawkins
04-16-2008, 02:23 AM

I am commenting before reading other posts - fresh in my mind. I am not a judge, but have viewed and coordinated judgings as the CPP liaison. I see a great body of work. I'd take out the Marathon ruler, unless you have a tear sheet of how image was used. Or rephotograph so that verticals are vertical: maybe longer lens and camera positioned lower, if not a view camera. The black plexi is nice for that kind of subject. Also, I'd not position it so almost square to the camera; it's always better when photographing a cubical "box" type item that we see three facades, two sides and top. That goes for a portable radio, a vehicle, etc. I'd actually substitute to another image.

George

Heather_L._Smith
04-16-2008, 04:16 AM
Super - thanks, George! John had some great comments about the measuring tape, too... two strikes and you're out in my book!

So, here's a quick question - do I need to have tear sheets for all of the commercial/corporate images? I indicated an 80/20 split on my CPP application (80% portrait, 20% corporate) because I do regular, on-going product work for a firm that provides online stores to companies like Microsoft, Nortel, International Truck, etc. of their logo-specific products. All the work I do for them is for online catalogs. Do I need to include screenshots or some proof of that, or are the images themselves sufficient? It didn't indicate anything like that in the "guidelines" so I want to make sure I'm not missing something!

Erin_L._Clark
04-16-2008, 07:20 AM
you have beautiful shots Heather! What retouch processing do you use on the skin out of curiosity?

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Heather;

My yes's are : 1,2,3,4,5,9,10,11,15,16,17,25,26,29. My probables are : 6,7,8,13,14,19,20,21,22,23.

On #6, I wasn't sure about the focus. On #23, the clothing is out of key.

Overall ... WELL DONE !!!

Heather_L._Smith
04-16-2008, 01:27 PM
you have beautiful shots Heather! What retouch processing do you use on the skin out of curiosity?

Thanks, Erin. For most of my images I use Portraiture by Imagenomic. I can get a little heavy-handed with it at times, which I'm learning to control!

DC - thanks for the feedback. There are actually several that you put on your list of possibles that I've already decided to pull (6, 13(probably), 14, 23, as well as 25 & 27), I've reduced/altered the retouching on 7 & 8 as well.

I do have one question for you - it didn't appear that you liked any of the product images - was that because you didn't feel they were worthy on their own, or you preferred the portrait images? The reason I ask is because my application is split up 80% portrait, 20% commercial/corporate (I do a lot of product work for online catalogs). That being the case, I have to include 4 product images as part of the portfolio. I just wanted to clarify that to see if you were comparing them to the portrait work (and they didn't stack up), or if they were viewed as a separate category (and they still didn't stack up).

Again, thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. It only serves to make this process better. I figure the more eyes that see the submission before it goes in, the more refined it can become to appeal to a larger audience. You never know where your panel will come from, and if you can get the majority of the portfolio to appeal to the majority of the people, I figure you've got a good chance of passing :-)

That's my twisted theory for the day.

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
DC - I do have one question for you - it didn't appear that you liked any of the product images - was that because you didn't feel they were worthy on their own, or you preferred the portrait images? The reason I ask is because my application is split up 80% portrait, 20% commercial/corporate (I do a lot of product work for online catalogs).

Hi Heather;

I didn't list any of your table-tops as a no , except for the marathon. All others I had in my list of probables. So they were all fine with me.

Heather_L._Smith
04-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Whoops... it's clearly too early and I haven't finished my diet dr. pepper yet! I didn't read the original post thoroughly enough... I saw the list of 'yes' and the list of 'possibles' and didn't realize there were numbers missing that would make up the 'no' list!

Okay, so another question coming your way now that I've filled in the missing numbers in my head :-)

- Why a no on #12 (baby hand)? I actually really like this image and would love to know where the deficiencies are that you feel put it on the 'no' list. Or if, in your opinion, something could be done to overcome those deficiencies.
- I agree with a no on 18 - have had other comments about that one as well
- Curious on the feedback for 24 - I have my own thoughts, but would love to know what you saw that put it on the 'no' list (this one's on my 'alternate' list)
- Agree with 27 - that one's been pulled.
- Again, curious on what you saw (or didn't see) in 28. I have my own thoughts, again, on where it's lacking, but would love to know your thoughts, too. (this one's on my 'alternate' list)

Thanks, DC. I appreciate the time.

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi Heather;

Ok, on # 12 I was very distracted by the top portion. I would vote for that one if the top was cropped off.

On #24, I find the lighting too flat and her eyes are a touch squinty.

On #28, the clothing is excellent for a sample image to show at consultations of how NOT to dress. (I am serious ... print a sample for showing clients at consultations) And, there is a lack of separation of Dad's hair.

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi Heather;

Here is how I'd present the baby's hand in Dad's. I hope this helps.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/HandInDads.jpg

Heather_L._Smith
04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks, DC!

Ellen_Duperret
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Heather,
Your images are beautiful! You'll pass for sure. Thanks again for the feedback on my images.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Heather,
You are all set! Remove 14, 18, and 28. I think you have more than you need right?

Jeff

Heather_L._Smith
04-17-2008, 01:26 AM
It's about time I heard from you, Mr. Dachowski! I was about to send you a nasty-gram :)

Yep, I do have more than I need, so I'll end up pulling about 10 from this group, and then I'm done! Woohoo! That feels so great to say!

Thanks, Jeff, and to everyone who took the time to peek at these images. I truly appreciate your input.

George_Hawkins
04-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Super - thanks, George! John had some great comments about the measuring tape, too... two strikes and you're out in my book!

So, here's a quick question - do I need to have tear sheets for all of the commercial/corporate images? I indicated an 80/20 split on my CPP application (80% portrait, 20% corporate) because I do regular, on-going product work for a firm that provides online stores to companies like Microsoft, Nortel, International Truck, etc. of their logo-specific products. All the work I do for them is for online catalogs. Do I need to include screenshots or some proof of that, or are the images themselves sufficient? It didn't indicate anything like that in the "guidelines" so I want to make sure I'm not missing something!

I never thought of on-line sales. Generally a tear sheet refers to a printed brochure, sales sheet maybe 8.5x11, a magazine add torn from the magazine. In competition, they help a lot especially if there is blank space saved for text.

I'd now think for CPP portfolio review, forget tear sheets, but replace that image, as it's not up to your other images. I am not as sure of the procedures currently, but with 10 prints required they used to spread on a table and viewed as a body of work; the judges would not necessarily look for a tear sheet. In competition, the print handlers should show a tear sheet if the maker has placed one in a sleeve on back of print.

George

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Wow Heather, your work is beautiful. No problem-o passing for you! :)