PDA

View Full Version : 04/27 - CPP - North Conway, NH

Don_Chick
04-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Two weeks from today there will be a CPP testing session in North Conway, NH.
1:30 - 3:30 pm at the North Conway Grand Hotel.

If you have any questions you can email me at: don@chickphotography.net

Michael_Larsen
04-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi Don,

How often do you have exams out your way? I haven't checked into it yet here in Maine but since I saw your post first and you're not too far away, I thought I'd ask!

Good day sir!

Mike

MarilynDillon
04-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Don -
I'll be there!

Don_Chick
04-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Don,

How often do you have exams out your way? I haven't checked into it yet here in Maine but since I saw your post first and you're not too far away, I thought I'd ask!

Good day sir!

Mike

Hello, Mike,

I usually give the exam at the NHPPA Conference in April, so once a year. It will be in North Conway, NH. They usually test at PPANE in September too. This year it will be in NH too, so if you take it there you won't have to drive as far as in the past.

Jeff Morris is the liaison for Maine (last I knew), so you could check with him for testing sessions in Maine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hello, Marilyn,

See you there... in less than 2 weeks!!

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Don;

Since I give the exam at all 4 of our state meetings, I'm curious how many meetings you have a year and why you give it so few times ? I usually have some take it at each of our meetings. I had 3 in February and am again giving it to 3 this coming Sunday.

Don_Chick
04-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi Don;

Since I give the exam at all 4 of our state meetings, I'm curious how many meetings you have a year and why you give it so few times ? I usually have some take it at each of our meetings. I had 3 in February and am again giving it to 3 this coming Sunday.

We have 9 monthly meetings, a winter and summer seminar, and a weekend Conference each year. All that's included in the $120/yr membership dues!

I was told I could give the exam at PPA sponsored events and understood that to be our Conference. I've talked with other state liaisons and they give the test at day long events too... Maybe I'll talk with Marisa Pitts and find out exactly when the test can be administered and at what events... I wonder why a liaison couldn't give the test at their studio. If they trust you to proctor the test at an event, why not at your studio too? That would accommodate anyones schedule during the year.

Don_Chick
04-21-2008, 02:45 PM
The packet of tests arrived today from PPA - all 6 of them....

You know who you are that will be testing... study hard!!!

Don_Chick
04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
I hope everyone is studying for the exam.... Only 4 days to go!!

Don_Chick
04-23-2008, 06:15 PM
I do have extra blank exams if anyone is thinking about taking the test....

D._Craig_Flory
04-23-2008, 06:35 PM
I do have extra blank exams if anyone is thinking about taking the test....

Hi Don;

I hate it when I hand the envelope to a photographer and the exam pages are blank. It's tough marking your answers when you can't see the questions. :D

Don_Chick
04-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Or when they hand the test back to you and they have a blank look on their face!!!

George_Hawkins
04-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Don,
Back when I had your Liaison job, they allowed me to administer the exam as I saw fit. I think I did it in afternoon before the monthly, a few times, of course coordinating with the facility. We are a far smaller state than PA, and have less demand. In the 80's I was the one at PPANE and gave exam; we also coordinated the judging, utilizing the print panel.
Too many issues came in to play and PPA centralized all sorts of things. Also, it's far easier to coordinate and schedule a time during conference.

George

Mark_Levesque
04-24-2008, 01:03 AM
What I don't understand is why it is scheduled during the busiest time of the whole conference: during a program AND during print competition. And then Monday afternoon we have the trade show, which can easily be covered in the time remaining after the exam. I'm sure the people at the trade show want the least number of competing things, but we are talking a very small number of people here.

Don_Chick
04-24-2008, 02:16 AM
Well.....

It's been scheduled on a weekend day because of folks who don't have weekdays off...
Saturdays in the past (2006 and before) only had programming late in the evening (not most of the day) and folks didn't arrive at the Hotel much before early evening. That left Sunday...
No mater when something is scheduled, it won't satisfy everyone....

D._Craig_Flory
04-24-2008, 01:14 PM
That's why I made a change a few years ago. I always scheduled it for 1:00PM on Sunday. Those taking the exam, as well as I, would miss the 1st two hours of the programs. So, for several years now I've held it at 10:30AM. With the 2 hour maximum for the test we are all out in plenty of time to not miss any of the programs.

The PPA rule is that it can be given at any scheduled state meeting. So I schedule it for all 3 of our regular meetings as well as the convention. Since I had 3 in February and 3 this past Sunday, as well as others already talking about taking it in June ... I have enough interested to warrant the amount of times I give it. We are a bigger state with more members so that also comes into it. (I think we have somewhere around 250 studios as members. We also have 50 C.P.P.s who are members of our state certified group.)

I must add, given all that I've read, New Hampshire is much closer to the frat house in "Animal House" than Pennsylvania. You people are party animals to the Nth degree !!! ;)

Don_Chick
04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
The NHPPA conference starts at 1pm Saturday with a program and runs till 8 pm. Hospitality takes over to finish out Saturday.
Sunday programming begins at 9am and print comp begins at 9am and runs till noon. Afternoon programming begins at 1pm after lunch and goes till early evening. Print comp usually ends around 7-8 pm or so... A very full 2 days...
There is no 'best' time for the exam, people have to make a choice if they want to take the test or attend an event.
Hey, I miss the programming too and have to sit around for 2 hours, staring at the walls while administering the test... Maybe this year I'll bring my laptop and surf the ourppa forum the whole time...

D._Craig_Flory
04-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey, I miss the programming too and have to sit around for 2 hours, staring at the walls while administering the test... Maybe this year I'll bring my laptop and surf the ourppa forum the whole time...

Hi Don;

I worked cross-word puzzles the whole time on Sunday. I also take the PPA magazine and / or Rangefinder as well as a novel. I know about the "staring at the walls". In the studio I always have music playing but it must be quiet during the exam so it is bored out of your mind time. (while all others in the room are sweating and scratching their heads. ;) )

Mark_Levesque
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah, last year it really took a lot out of you. :D :p