PDA

View Full Version : Image Review Possibilities

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-12-2008, 10:50 PM
I got the email this week with login info for the image review so I guess I better get moving!
Please take a look at this gallery and let me know which ones are keepers and/or duds. These are all HS Seniors; I'll be going through my family portraits next. Of course after taking Fuzzy Duenkel's class at NEIPP this week, I hate them all... :o
http://www.cassandrasphotography.com/CPP1/

Thanks for your help!

Ellen_Duperret
04-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Cassandra,
I'm going through the certification process too, so I might not be qualified to review your images, but I think they're all beautiful! I don't think you'll have any trouble passing. Nice work.

Heather_L._Smith
04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Awesome job, Cassandra! I'm getting my images ready for submission in May, too, so we're all in the same boat! Just two quick comments for me - the only image that jumped out to me was #17 - as a "no." It actually jumped out becasue it has a different quality than the rest. It feels too "flashy" - do you know what I mean? All of the others have a very nice light quality to them. Also, on the last 5 or 6 they were all very similar in the pose (closer in with hands by the face). I think you had about 30 images there, so it would be my recommendation (again, from someone who hasn't yet finished this process either!) to choose just a couple from that type of pose, and make sure they're scattered throughout and not one after the other.

I actually have a similar problem - I really don't do any full body shots, so most of mine are closer in.... I'm having a hard time making sure I have some variety. (not implying that you have that issue!)

I must admit, as stressful as the process is, it's actually really fun!

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks Heather and Ellen.
You're right about #17 - it is flashy - tho sort of designed to be that way (it was at sunset obviously). But it's not right for image review, I agree now.

Heather_L._Smith
04-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks Heather and Ellen.
You're right about #17 - it is flashy - tho sort of designed to be that way (it was at sunset obviously). But it's not right for image review, I agree now.

You know, it's funny... on it's own, it's fine. But, when you look at #17 amongst the others in the portfolio, it sticks out :-)

George_Hawkins
04-16-2008, 01:08 AM
I agree, but I did not note the image #, remembering one was very straight-on lighting.

If I am not mistaken, the guideline is images as one presents them to a client, in the ratio of work. If HS seniors are 65% of work, they should be 65% of submissions. Years back, I was a liaison; I never judged but observed judging and spread out the print submissions. Judges were to look at the body of work. If the say no, on the body, they then look at prints one at a time.

Maybe the guidelines have changed, but I say that you have a body of work that is above quite good, better than images that I submitted years ago. They are not looking for merit images.

For recertification, I think they say 70 or better along with continuing education. Unfortunately this NEIPP session can not be used since you are not yet certified!

George

MarilynDillon
04-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Cassandra -
Great class with Fuzzy! Isn't it awful -- after taking a class like that how we can't stand our previous work. Guess it is all part of the growth process. I would be very happy with that collection of images -- I agree with taking the one with the strong flash out. Otherwise, I am not qualified to comment. I am taking the exam in two weeks and then will do an image submission after that. Good luck!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Cassandra,
You have som e som far! You should be be very proud. Fuzzy has a way of showing you how things could be if you were the perfect photographer. I know how you feel. I looked at the gallery, and was overal very happy with the images. I think you might want to remove some of the images that are different kids, and the same situation, like the granite columns. I think there were four of the same pose, in the same scene.

Also, where are your wedding images....families....children?? You need these to represent your whole body of work.

Jeff

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks George, Marilyn and Jeff...

Also, where are your wedding images....families....children?? You need these to represent your whole body of work.Jeff

I'll put up some families and children tonight....but seniors are about 90% of my clients. I don't do weddings...I put on the certification app that I'm 100% portrait.

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-17-2008, 03:13 AM
Okay here's 21 images...I've taken suggestions on using more of a variety in posing/locations from the HS seniors, and I've added families/kids/couples and a lone bride to the mix. CC appreciated - as well as picking one to eliminate.
http://www.cassandrasphotography.com/CPP2/
Thanks!

Stephanie_Millner
04-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Yay, you're using Kelly!