PDA

View Full Version : print case question (the actual case...)

Laura_Piazza
04-12-2008, 10:23 PM
I have a case that has always been my graphic design portfolio case. it is 17.5 x 20.5 x 3.5 deep and has a handle and two clasps like a brief case. It is black. This will be my first year entering prints so I am not up to speed on print cases. I hear they need to be pretty specific. I'd love to avoid buying a new case when my GD portfolio seems perfectly adequate to carry prints. Would this suffice?
It is made by "custom cases." It is 10 years old, so I can't find an exact photo of it online, but this one is similar. Instead of the straps that hold it closed, however, it has two clasps. I can also take a photo of it if that helps....
thanks!

http://www.phillycase.com/photo_gallery/poly/porfolio.htm#

Laura_Piazza
04-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Actually, it probably just makes sense to take a picture of it, so here it is -- both opened and closed. Will this work or do I need to buy a new one. thanks!!

p/s. I will clean the dust off of it if I can use it ;)

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Laura are you going to drop it off or ship it? I'm thinking it's probably okay if you're dropping it off and picking it up, but it doesn't look like it can be shipped as is. The recommended print cases are shipped as is (i.e. they don't need to be put in a box).

Laura_Piazza
04-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Cassandra,
I would drop it off. thanks

Rick_Massarini
04-13-2008, 03:18 AM
That case may be acceptable for a state event where you were hand delivering and picking up your case after the judging was over, but it would most probably not be acceptable for the National Judging. The PEC Coordinator is putting together a definition of an acceptable print case, but a few of the main qualifications is that it have a handle, be easliy openable and reclosable, and have some means of securely closing the case (straps, or a zipper that goes all the way around the case. Case shipping labels are applied directly to the case without an overpack box. The case in the photo would most probably require an overpack, so it would most probably not be acceptable for the PPA International judging.

Peter_Bauer
04-14-2008, 01:26 AM
This will be my first year entering prints so I am not up to speed on print cases. I hear they need to be pretty specific.

Here's the definitive link:
http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=806
(Let it sit and the photos at the top will cycle.)

Note the term "twist-type clasps." The flip latches visible on your case are not the same -- twist clasps won't come open accidentally, while flip latches can snag or slip, spilling your prints in transit or during competition.

Pete

StaceyDamon
04-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I have an aluminum case my mom made for me at the factory she works at. I am hand carrying my prints this time. The dimensions are 16.5x20.5 and 3inches deep. It is lined and really nice, but I am not sure if it will work?

D._Craig_Flory
04-17-2008, 04:26 PM
What prints can be submitted in all comes down to where they are being submitted and the rules. In PPAofPa ... here is what it says in our rules from last year:

StaceyDamon
04-17-2008, 04:31 PM
D. Craig that is pretty much what NH says too. I am wondering however if my case is big enough to hold 3-5 mounted comp prints? I don't have them back yet and am not sure? What do you think, will 3 inches be deep enough?

D._Craig_Flory
04-17-2008, 04:50 PM
D. Craig that is pretty much what NH says too. I am wondering however if my case is big enough to hold 3-5 mounted comp prints? I don't have them back yet and am not sure? What do you think, will 3 inches be deep enough?

Hi Stacey;

My 2 cases are 16X20 X 2" on one and 3" on the other. I bought the 2" fiberbilt case probably around 1978 and still use it. I bought the 3" case after that, maybe in the 80's. I use the 3" case more often. Anyhow, 3" is plenty of space for me for 4 16x20's plus packing so tney don't slop around. I sent 4 to our regional with a piece of 16x20 mat board, between each, with room to spare.

StaceyDamon
04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks Craig!!! I am going to use the case I have for this time anyway!!

Linda_Gregory
04-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Stacey,

The reasons for the type of comp print cases is for

1. shipping and what most shippers will allow

2. handling during comp. Imagine having hundreds of cases to open, store, repack. The 'approved' cases are the easiest on the volunteers who are opening and repacking the images safely into the cases. Any hard to open with gloves on catches slow the line down and also, if they're hard or stick out, may damage a print that's close by. ALL precautions are taken to avoid that but the reality is, sharp, hard edges on a case that stick out very far are more likely to cause problems.

Do you have a picture of your case? How NICE that your mother made you one!

StaceyDamon
04-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Linda there are no sharp edges and the inside is lined with some soft black rubber like material. The two latches to are it to open.
I worked on Maine's print committee this year for the first time and the ones that had done the opening of the cases in the past did sputter a little about difficult cases. LOL

D._Craig_Flory
04-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi Stacey;

I suggest that you send those images to your print committee chairperson. See what they say.

Laura_Piazza
04-18-2008, 05:55 PM
That's what I did with my case and the print committee chairperson says that mine is just fine :)
thanks for everyone's suggestions!

KirkDarling
04-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Laura and Stacey,

For both of those cases, my concern would be whether they stay securely closed during shipping. Any kind of flip-latch is very likely to become unflipped during shipping, which is why the Fiberbilt cases also have straps.

The ATA-style flip-and-twist latches are also secure. That metal case may be able to be retrofitted with flip-and-twist latches.

Oh, Peter already mentioned that.

D._Craig_Flory
04-18-2008, 07:36 PM
IF those cases work ok to hand carry to state competitions, and comply with state rules, I still recommend buying one or two cases, like Fiberbilt, for Regionals and PPA. I say two because it takes from when you send your case for PPA till a couple months after the January convention till you get the case back. So rather than worry whether or not you will have it back in time for regional ... a 2nd approved case would be prudent.