PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Has to spill something!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Ok,
So I won't say who it is, but someone did fairly well ( maybe one day I will do fairly well too) at HOA. Come on now, you know who you are. Spill it!

Jeff

Dan_Leary
04-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm just going to throw this out there... but if Keith like his case, I'm thinking that would've been the consensus amongst the judge types.

Keith_A_Howe
04-13-2008, 01:45 AM
All I know is hearsay and only three out of four. You guys want to know unofficial unconfirmed scores? In other words the National Enquirer version?
Keith

Noelle_Zaleski
04-13-2008, 02:41 AM
All I know is hearsay and only three out of four. You guys want to know unofficial unconfirmed scores? In other words the National Enquirer version?
Keith

yeah that version will work until we hear the real version:) :)

Keith_A_Howe
04-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Ok, 92,89,82 & ?. I just got off the phone with some friends who were on print crew and tried to confirm the three scores and find out the fourth, but they had all been drinking and I couldn't get a straight answer. We are headed towards hospitality room in a couple minutes. Maybe if there are any sober people there I might find something else out - hmmmm - sober people? who am I kidding!;)
Keith

DianeDavis
04-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Whooo Hoooo Keith!!

I hope you find some sober folks that can let you know your final score.

Good Job, Sensei.

Stephanie_Millner
04-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Congratulations Keith! So... images?

Noelle_Zaleski
04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Congrats Kieth! :D :D :D :D

Don_Chick
04-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Congratulations!!!! Way to go.......

Keith_A_Howe
04-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Congratulations Keith! So... images?

Ok so I just emailed my son to try to have him email me images as I didn't think to have them on my laptop. I will try to get them up tonight when we hit the room again.
Keith

Norine_Piet
04-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Very nice Keith. Way to go!! Congratulations for a job well done.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-13-2008, 06:13 PM
So I just got the offical word. Keith had a pretty disapointing case this year. Well you can't win them all right??

His scores are as follows:

93, 92, 89, and 82. If he submits these four to nationals, he will win another POTY award. Congratulations Keith!!! You have given so much to so many I am prud to call you a friend, and am thrilled you did well again!!

Jeff

Cindi_Delaney
04-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Congrats Keith!

Liz_Vance
04-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Gee, Keith. I kinda expected a little better than that from you. hahahahahaha

Seriously - way to go! :)

-e

Valerie_Harte
04-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Wait... let me practice my surprise face for a little while... okay... gee Keith, I never would have expected that from you. LOL...

Seriously, congratulations on a great case. You deserved it. And thank you for sharing all the knowledge that made that possible with us.

D._Craig_Flory
04-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Keith;

Congratulations on the good showing !!! I'm attaching an essential roll of material to go along with your latest Potty Award. :D

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Congratulations Keith! I can't wait to see the images.

ElizabethGraham
04-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Woohoo, Keith!! Way to go!! I can't wait to see the images!

E.

Keith_A_Howe
04-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Linda Gregory has some good news too! But we are going to let her share it.
Keith

Heather_L._Smith
04-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Awesome, Keith!! It looks like the advice I keep getting from you is well-founded (hehe!). That's just great!!!!!!

JohnHeckler
04-14-2008, 01:20 AM
That is awesome Keith! Two years in a row ... hmmm ... I think you may know a thing or two about competition ... and be a **** good photog probably helps as well :-) Can't wait to see the images.

Will_Price
04-14-2008, 01:23 AM
Great job Keith....don't forget the little people.

Keith_A_Howe
04-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Ok Here they are...

It's Lonely at the Top 93
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Keith_Howe_D_Its_Lonely_At_The_Top.jpg

Freedom Flight 92
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Keith_Howe_C_Freedom_Flight.jpg

Emotional Entanglement 89
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Emotional_Entanglement_stroked.jpg

Footloose 82
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Keith_Howe_B_Footloose.jpg

Thanks all
Keith

Linda_Gregory
04-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Well, you all saw my entries but here are my scores.

Old World Cat was a 77

Hiking Through History took a 79 (am discussing how to improve it for Nationals)

Invisible was scored at 80 and survived the ins and outs

Touched by the Light was !!!!! 88!

I have now reached two of my goals....one merit last year with no input from anyone and this year, with Touched by the Light, I merited an image with only dodging, burning and cropping.

Now on to the next goal...merit a portrait image. I have a fine art and photojournalist background and have been working in that area for so many years but not so portraiture so it's a goal that will stretch me.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Keith,
Those images look great!! I hadn't seen those treatments yet. Congratulations on all the awards I am sure you are taking home this year!

Linda,
Congratulations! You did very well. Keep it up!
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
04-14-2008, 02:15 AM
Jeff, we were just at dinner, I thought you were joining us. Where are you?

Keith

bob_hancock
04-14-2008, 02:16 AM
Congratulations Keith,
Great Images!

Keith_A_Howe
04-14-2008, 02:18 AM
Linda Rocks! Great images, great person, great delivery girl!
Keith

P.S. Holly & I collect art glass. I tracked down a particular artist whose work we liked. Low and behold, he was from Wichita. Linda stopped by his studio on her way here and picked up a piece for me that was for an anniversary gift for Holly - tomorrow - 29 years. Thanks Linda!

Andrea_Chapelo
04-14-2008, 03:06 AM
Congrats Keith!!!!:D
and Congrats Linda!!!:D

JohnHeckler
04-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Yes, congrats Linda as well ... your images were awesome!

Stephanie_Millner
04-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Congratulations Linda!

Laura_Piazza
04-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Keith, those are fantastic! You are quite the wildlife photographer!! Thanks for sharing. Being new to the forum, I am not familiar with your work -- just all your very generous help, so it's great to see some of your amazing work. Congrats!

Jim_Heidorn
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Congrats to both Keith and Linda!!

Keith_A_Howe
04-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Laura, I am not a wild life photographer. I went on a trip to Montana last January. It was really my first time photographing wildlife - other than what I saw from the side of the road or on family vacations. I picked up a lot of great wild life tips from Jeff Dachowski who also went with me. It was the trip of a lifetime, something I had dreamed of doing for 30 years. I would stand in bookstores and look at nature magazines and books analyzing the images and just dream about that being that photographer. Holly, who watched me doing this for years, sent me to live my dream for my birthday gift this year.
Keith

Chris_Padgett
04-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Congrats Keith and Linda.

Keith that is one nice birthday gift. I think my wife might need to talk with Holly. :D

I love-Freedom Flight.

Laura_Piazza
04-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Aw, what a nice gift! Maybe you should be a wildlife photographer, because you're really good at it!

D._Craig_Flory
04-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Laura, I am not a wild life photographer. I went on a trip to Montana last January. It was really my first time photographing wildlife - other than what I saw from the side of the road or on family vacations. Keith

Hi Keith;

Wildlife on the road, or by the side of the road, is called Road Kill & is easy to photograph because it won't move on you. :D

DiannaAllen
04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Congratulations Keith and Linda. You make us proud!

KristiSanger
04-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Congratulations to both of you. Way to go!!!

Kristi

Jeff_Dachowski
04-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi Keith;

Wildlife on the road, or by the side of the road, is called Road Kill & is easy to photograph because it won't move on you. :D

Craig,
I know you have a smiley next to your comment, but I will say that the images Keith got were not roadkill, and it is a lot harder than it looks to get images like that.

On the eagle image, that was the third time we went out to photograph that particular eagle. The air temperature was about 7 degrees, and that was shot hand held, just as dusk was wrapping up for the day. I know this, because I did not get a shot like that!!

On the lion we hiked through some deep snow to get to the top of the mountain to make that shot. Carrying our big glass on tripods at 7000 feet above sea level. Again it is much harder than it looks. The wolve is running full speed at you when making those images. aut0focus and composition is a nightmare.

I am not trying to say that it was not a lot of fun, but with 70+mph winds, a 4 day long driving blizzard, 4 am starts and midnight lights out- these are not "Road Kill" conditions. We had to work very hard to make good images on that trip.

I would bet that out of 7 photographers, Keith has the best images of the whole bunch.

Jeff

JohnMalboeuf
04-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi Keith,

Congrats on the scores. Awesome images. I love the eagle.

John

Keith_A_Howe
04-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Long story and I don't feel like repeating it again. My father will have surgery tomorrow at noon. At the urging of some people Holly and I did attend our awards banquet this evening. Here are the results.

Heart of America Master Photographer of the Year- Highest total score
Kodak Gallery Award Illustrative for Lonely At The Top
First Place Illustrative - Lonely . . .
Second place portrait of Woman for Emotional Entanglement

Nebraska Photographer of the Year - highest total score
Gallery Award Illustrative for Freedom Flight
Presidents Trophy - Best non-portrait of Show for Lonely . . .
Four for Four Award ( only one in the state)

I never dreamed I would ever be photographer of the year for HOA region. There are so many amazing photographers in NE, KS, IA & MO. I am amazed that this happened. I guess now maybe I might feel qualified to give a little advice on print competition??????:) :p :confused:

Also big congrats to Linda, I'll let her tell her news.
Keith

ElizabethGraham
04-15-2008, 07:03 AM
DAD-GUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am blown away!! WOW!! You deserve every bit of it!!

Congratulations, Keith and again, our prayers are with you and your dad tomorrow!

E.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Keith,
Congraulations! Did you forget about your Judges choice ribbon???
Your dad is in our prayers! Try to have the best day you can ok??

Jeff

Heather_L._Smith
04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, Keith!! Did they just have you stand up on stage all night instead of getting up and down each time?? :) Congrats, my friend. You deserve every bit of it.

Keith_A_Howe
04-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Keith,
Did you forget about your Judges choice ribbon???

Uhm, yes. good thing I have my PA Jeff to keep track of this stuff.
Keith

Stephanie_Millner
04-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Good Lord, Keith! Congratulations. Next year you'll have to attend HOA with a wheelbarrow. Or forklift.

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Wow Keith! Congratulations. Your images are beautiful.

Rory_Schweighart
04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Way To GO!!!!!!!!

Linda_Gregory
04-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Am finally home, what a drive! The wind was up to 50 mph at times, trying to blow me back to Iowa!!

Along the way, I received a call from Keith and Holly and was threatened....I must post as soon as I get in the door, do some 'necessary' things and take my shoes off.

I am proud to share that my image, Touched by the Light which scored 88 was given an award for being the highest scoring print for a nonmaster in the state of Kansas. Wow!!

You guys are fun to 'brag' to! YOU understand!

Noelle_Zaleski
04-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Congrats Linda!!

Kieth you know I am a big nature fan! Your image inspire me!

Keith_A_Howe
04-16-2008, 03:35 AM
You guys are fun to 'brag' to! YOU understand!
Brag some more . . . you forgot something.

Keith

Kerri_Garrison
04-16-2008, 03:43 AM
Yes, it was fun to watch Keith hike back and forth all night to the "winner's circles/photo areas"
If you think Keith's images are nice looking from your monitor, I can tell you they were just gorgeous as prints! (And so was Linda's for that matter.)
So congrats to you both on jobs well done. (PPA needs an "outstanding achievement as an office girl" category!)

andiegoodman
04-16-2008, 03:47 AM
Keith, way to go and a big congratulations. My prayers will be with you and your dad tomorrow that his surgery goes well.

Linda, you go girl.

Linda_Gregory
04-16-2008, 03:49 AM
Brag some more . . . you forgot something.

Keith

That I don't have the plaque? (they had the wrong year so they went back.)

AH! THEY! I also am again, for the third year in a row? Is that it??

Keith_A_Howe
04-16-2008, 03:53 AM
AH! THEY! I also am again, for the third year in a row? Is that it??

I don't know what THEY is but if it means Top Ten in Kansas then that's what I was talking about.

Keith

Linda_Gregory
04-16-2008, 03:55 AM
They as in...I got two plaques. :) And I have neither. I DID take a picture with my camera phone of one before giving it back! Will see if I can find the thingie I need to download. But of course, Keith, we wanna see a pic of your totally ostentatious trophy!

And, where are you gonna PUT it??? New room for it? Maybe the Webber household?

Keith_A_Howe
04-16-2008, 04:13 AM
They as in...I got two plaques. :)
But you only posted about one - Linda was also a Top Ten
photographer for Kansas. I do not believe they seperate Masters and Non- Masters for their Top ten in KS - so that means she was competing for this award among Masters also.
Keith

Linda_Gregory
04-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Correct, they just add up the case scores and don't differentiate masters or non masters.

Here's the image out of my phone camera...please no critiques on the quality or composition, k?

I'll title this, 'WHAT Year?'

http://www.lindagregory.com/bestgeneral.jpg

Heather_L._Smith
04-16-2008, 04:21 AM
A big woohoo from Georgia!! Awesome!!!

Noelle_Zaleski
04-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Linda, I suggest you run some noiseware for that image of your plaque and I am sure that you can find someone capable of photoshopping in 2008 and getting rid of that thumb for a small fee:p

Congratulations!!

Andrea_Chapelo
04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Linda,
Congrats!!!! That is just awesome:D