PDA

View Full Version : Am I insane? (That's a rhetorical question!!)

Liz_Vance
04-10-2008, 05:23 PM
So I'm thinking about teaching a Super Monday class. I'm thinking about 2, actually. And I'm not sure I want to do them in my own area (unless everyone who came was from somewhere else!)

The insane part comes from that I'm doing my first Expo the weekend before. I'm going to be beat. Do you have to do the class on that Monday? Can you do an alternative date?

Here are the two classes I was thinking of doing:

Going Pro: The Business of the Art
All the different things you need to know if you really do want to make this a career and not just a hobby. From printing to packaging, how to have quality work and delivery. What you're allowed to do in your home (at least in my county), what kind of taxes, etc, you need to register for. Basically all that stuff that you don't know about until someone tells you. (Introductory level)

Maternity Portraits: Marketing and Promotion, etc, and two shoots, one in the morning with one person, one in the afternoon with a couple or family. (for folks who already know a little studio lighting stuff)

So, aside from the insanity of doing this the day after an expo, do you think anyone would be interested in either of these? And if so, am I locked into that specific day? (And if I don't want to do it here, can I have it at YOUR studio? :) Mine is soooo tiny.) What's the minimum number of people you need to run one?

-e

Todd_Reichman
04-10-2008, 05:40 PM
You raise an interesting quandry. I've thought about doing Super Monday in the past, and I'm typically a pretty open fellow. However, the only thing I really have to share is business advice. I'm not sure that, at my relatively young status I'd be willing to share business advice to my close competitiors.

Do people run Super Mondays out of state/area?

For the record, I think both of your ideas are great, Liz. I think both would have a wide and practical appeal.

- trr

Art_Wright
04-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Yes, you are insane! Now that we have that out of the way, at least you could use my last name in the first class... :(

Aurora_Onorato
04-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I'd love to come to the buisness one liz =P But you are a pretty far drive for me for a day trip ;)

Liz_Vance
04-10-2008, 06:00 PM
hahahaha. Funny, Art. (I had to go back and look at what I wrote- it took me a minute. I'm slow today!)

Todd,

I know what you mean. I don't know that I'd want to do a photo class nearby, because I don't want to encourage other locals to do my bread and butter work. But the business side of it, I think that it would be great if some of the MWACs that I'm competing for business with actually starting being more professional. Encourage them to join associations, to get insurance, to see what goes into really being a professional. Because once they started doing that, they'd have to raise their prices, and it would step up the quality of their work, which would help raise the bar for everyone. And that can't be a bad thing, can it?

I don't know. I just remember how hard it was when I was starting, and I didn't know who to ask help from, and more importantly, I didn't even know what to ask. I couldn't even Google 'memory mates' because I didn't know that's what they were called. :)

Aurora_Onorato
04-10-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't know. I just remember how hard it was when I was starting, and I didn't know who to ask help from, and more importantly, I didn't even know what to ask. I couldn't even Google 'memory mates' because I didn't know that's what they were called. :)

amen sister... (How about you come on up here and practice this on me =) lol

ChontelleBrown
04-10-2008, 06:05 PM
If you want to come to Florida, you can use my studio. We'll still have nice warm weather in October. :)

I like your ideas....

Chontelle

Angela_Lawson
04-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Liz,

Pick me...Pick me!!! I'd love to have you here to my studio. Though not huge, I promise to move things around to maximize space for you. And if you are thinking October, you'd have beautiful fall colors for a nice couple/family outdoor shoot. I know, Michigan is awfully far, but I bet we could get Betsy F. up here too - she's only a couple hours away. What say you, Betsy?!!! Shall we twist real hard and see if we can get Liz to Michigan?

Liz_Vance
04-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Aw, you guys are so nice! :)

-e

Cindi_Delaney
04-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Liz,
If you want to get really far away, there's always Mesquite, NV.
I'm about all there is right here but maybe someone from Utah or Vegas would show interest.
:D

Heather_L._Smith
04-10-2008, 06:29 PM
We'd love to host you down here in Hotlanta, too. Although, it just occurred to me - if your expo is Sat/Sun, then that means travelling either after the expo on Sunday or on Monday morning (NOT recommended!), which may not be feasible. I know I've seen Super Monday classes offered on a different date - may be a question for PPA.

John_Stein
04-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Liz,

You can do it on any day as long as it is close to the actual Super Monday date. I have done some on Tuesday's and some on Sunday's. The reason why I have done them like that is because there have been times when there are to many Super Mondays Happening in the DC metro area so by moving mine I increased the chances someone would actually attend.

John

John_Stein
04-10-2008, 06:37 PM
As to holding them in other areas. I know a few people who live in our area that also have Vacation homes in either NC or Florida, they have done thier super Mondays at thier Vacation homes.

Just remeber you do not get paid for Super Mondays, just the merits.

John

D._Craig_Flory
04-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi Liz;

You could hold it for just one person if you wanted to ... but I'm sure PPA would prefer you attract a few more.

I hope I don't offend you but ... have you ever taught any classes to pro photographers ? If not, rather than have the stress of an 8 hour class, you might want to consider an early bird class for your state association which would be 1½ to 2 hours to get your feet wet and see how you do.

Mark_Levesque
04-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Yes, it can be on a different day.

Gene Paltrineri and Don Chick are doing a Super Monday NEXT Monday. I know this because my buddy Dave drove up to Gene's house this past Monday and got him out of bed. LOL

Liz_Vance
04-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi D.C. - I'm not offended. But I'm not worried, either. In my previous life as a defense contractor, I used to teach software training (week-long programs), and I've taught elementary school kids photography, so I'm pretty good with the mundane and the insanse. And as those who know me will attest, I have no fear of public speaking. :)

-e

almost forgot - I also taught a one-day documentary program to a high-school journalism class, and when I was pregnant with my first (about 7 years ago), I TA'd the 101 class at one of the local colleges (which was fun, because I wasn't allowed in the lab itself - the students had to come out of the lab and show me their work, and much of what I said could be condensed down to, "go clean off your negative and do it again."

KirkDarling
04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I know what you mean. I don't know that I'd want to do a photo class nearby, because I don't want to encourage other locals to do my bread and butter work.

Someone said a while back here on the forum, "Tell them what you've done, not what you plan to do."

Jackie_Haggerty
04-11-2008, 01:41 AM
To answer your thread title (rhetorical or not!):

YES!

But we love it!

Linda_Gregory
04-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Hey crazy lady! Wichita's DYIN for a good class! The big draw is ME!

dana_nordlund
04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Liz,

Just doooooo it :cool:

The people who attend want to be there, the money goes to PPA Charities and it is a blast.

As for your question regarding your sanity: hmmmmmm, zany, maybe, quick witted, yup, but insane? nah . . . unless you put on one of those VERY long sleeved jackets at night and the guard comes in the next morning to unlock the bindings and gives you "special" vitamins . . . er, not that I know anything about that :eek:

Ok, back on track, back on track (I'm just glad that you can't hear all the little voices in my head, you can't hear them can you?

Just do it :cool:

Jeff_Dachowski
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Liz,
I have an idea that involves Steph doing a program here on monday, and you doing one here on tuesday. How about that?
Jeff

Nylora_Bruleigh
04-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Jeff,

I don't know what you are thinking but SIGN ME UP!!!! :D

Nylora

Mark_Levesque
04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I have an idea that involves Steph doing a program here on monday, and you doing one here on tuesday. How about that?
You double booking me AGAIN?!!! LOL

Stephanie_Millner
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Jeff, you have me Sunday actually. Just assumed either you or Mark had your space on Monday.

Liz_Vance
04-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh man. That would be fantastic. I don't think I can do it, though. I'd have the expo on Saturday and Sunday, and then drive up on Monday and back on Wednesday, which would leave Scott alone with the kids for five days in a half-constructed house (or a hotel room, depending on what stage of the renovation we're at). I don't know if Scott would go for that. If it weren't back to back, it might not be a problem. I can get away with him missing one day of work, but probably not three on top of the weekend (he works weekends, too). I really wish I hadn't signed up for the expo now. (or rather, that I hadn't paid my booth deposit). I would so much rather be up there!

Liz_Vance
04-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Although I suppose I *could* fly....

hmmmm

Jeff_Dachowski
04-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Liz,
Flying is way too expensive for a SUper monday. May I remind you that you don't get paid for this???

How about we plan one for next year with you and Steph coming up? That should give you enough time to get you things in order.

And by the way, if anyone notices, I am letting two other people use my studio for the benefit of others. Hope nobody misreads that as trying to " race to the top"
Jeff

DianeDavis
04-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Liz,
Hope nobody misreads that as trying to " race to the top"
Jeff

It is very generous. You are always out there helping and supporting people. I think it could be better interpreted as reaching back and pulling folks up with you, which seems to be in line with your character.

Nylora_Bruleigh
04-17-2008, 07:23 PM
It is very generous. You are always out there helping and supporting people. I think it could be better interpreted as reaching back and pulling folks up with you, which seems to be in line with your character.

Diane,

Well put! ~ as usual!

Nylora

Linda_Gregory
04-17-2008, 07:25 PM
I agree and I have a tight hold on his shoelace! Don't let your shoe fall off!

Mark_Levesque
04-17-2008, 10:07 PM
And by the way, if anyone notices, I am letting two other people use my studio for the benefit of others. Hope nobody misreads that as trying to " race to the top"
One wonders how such a warped interpretation would be rendered in the first place. One is tempted to infer jealousy.

BTW- Thanks SO MUCH for all you do. Seriously folks, Jeff and Carolle are amazingly generous.

Liz_Vance
04-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Liz,
Flying is way too expensive for a SUper monday. May I remind you that you don't get paid for this???

How about we plan one for next year with you and Steph coming up? That should give you enough time to get you things in order.

Jeff

I know I don't get paid for it. It would be worth it just to see you and Carolle again (okay, everyone with me, "Awwwwwww). :) Seriously, though, I would get as much out of it as I was giving (more, really), and it would be really fun.

And, I think it's wonderful that you're offering your studio for us to use. Anyone who says otherwise is just lookin' for a fight. :)

Nylora_Bruleigh
04-18-2008, 12:41 PM
I know I don't get paid for it...... :) Seriously, though, I would get as much out of it as I was giving (more, really), and it would be really fun. :)

And, THAT my dear, is why we should ALL volunteer! You JUST hit the nail on the head! Win Win situation!!!

Hope to see you here soon Liz! Let's work it out! :D

Valerie_Harte
04-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Liz- yes you are absolutely insane, welcome to the looney bin. I already applied. :-)

Kim and I went to see the Piacasi's and Rae on super Monday this year. They are local, we share with them openly. They were very open as to what they had done and the connections they had made. As a benefit when Rae couldn't do an exclusive bridal even this year with a local golf club she was happy that we did it and when we can't do something we happily refer her. I think as long as people make it their own its a good thing.... and if they don't the best thing I heard at national this year was Matthew Jordan Smith saying- "don't copy someone else because if you do the best clients will want the real thing- be an original". So if someone does try and copy you your good clients will want the real Liz Vance. :-)

Do it... doit... doit.... do it..... so I can have someone fun beside me in the little white padded room they'll put us in. hehe.

Liz_Vance
05-03-2008, 02:13 AM
Well, I did it. Nothing like waiting until the last minute (I'm assuming the deadline is midnight, like mailing your taxes, and not close of business!)

Here's the summary:

Going Pro: The Business of the Art
Creating the images is the easy part. Creating a business out of it, that takes work. Learn what you need to do from registering your business, to quality printing, packaging and presentation. Other topics covered include basic marketing, pricing for profit, and workflow.

So it's not as snazzy a description as some of the other ones, but it's not really a snazzy topic. And, I applied to do it on Sunday, Nov 2. I know that weekends in November are insanely busy, but since most of the people who would take this class are probably NOT well-established, and are also probably still working their day job, it seemed the best time. And it gives me a few days to get ready after the Kids Expo! :) (And the location is still TBA, too. I have no clue where I'm going to do this!)

Heather_L._Smith
05-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Way to go, Liz!! I think I dodged the bullet on this one... the girls were trying to talk me into doing a CPP prep course for Super Monday, but I told them I should probably make sure I actually passed before I went and signed up for that! :)

Awesome job, Liz... I'm very proud of you!!!

Liz_Vance
05-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks Heather!

I'm sure you'll pass the exam. You SHOULD do the prep class. That's a great idea!

-e

Angela_Lawson
05-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Liz,

You're still welcome to come to Michigan - we'd love to have you. :)

Angela

StaceyDamon
05-04-2008, 01:25 AM
That's right roomie...DO THE PREP CLASS...I will need it to take the test!!!! PEER PRESSURE-PEER PRESSURE!!!!

Stephanie_Millner
05-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Stacey, don't you think Heather should start selling those prep flash-cards???

StaceyDamon
05-04-2008, 01:37 AM
I bet she would make a mint with them!!! They ROCK...like Georgia:D !!!

Liz_Vance
05-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Heather has flash-cards?

I'm not sure if I am impressed, or if I'm fighting a huge urge to tease her.

A little bit of both, I think. :)

And Angela, I'd love to come to Michigan, but this is a bad year for travel for me. Maybe next year, though!