PDA

View Full Version : Need one more for print case

Teri_Quance
04-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Need one more sure fire merit to send off to nationals. (3 merited at regionals). Would love to get 4/4.

These are eh... sketchy at best. None of them are... 'oh yeah, that's it'. But, opinions appreciated.

Thank you, Teri Q.

Teri_Quance
04-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Oooo, number one looks blue.

Teri_Quance
04-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Name ideas appreciated, too.

John_Metcalfe
04-09-2008, 04:28 AM
The 4th image shows the most promise in my eyes if some cropping would take place

Teri_Quance
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks, John... That's really the one I was thinking. But still ify (lighting a tad flat). I'm very happy with the crop though... what would you do differently (and why)?

TQ

Julie_DeGuia
04-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Hi Teri! Nice to see you here!!! :-)

I like #4 but am a bit concerned about the fingers that are cut off. I love the lines and composition.... your color is great with the choice of canvas and stepmount treatment.

I think I am leaning towards #1 more, but her right arm seems like it is bit uncomfortable. I know you don't like vingetting/burning, but I would darken the top some and maybe work with a different placement on the canvas.

Would love to see the ones that have already merited! Please?

Julie

John_Metcalfe
04-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I have cropped it to my taste as requested. I liked your applications, so keep them. (my opinion) Let me know what you think...

Jeff_Dachowski
04-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Teri,
I actually like the first image with the harp the best. I have seen a comback of the classic look in the last few years. I think you have some interesting lines repeated, or at least complimented each other in that image. The one of the couple seems like two floating heads, and the cropping into the heand along with hand placement and the dominant blue shutter might make this a harder sell. Don't get me wrong, I like the blue shutter since it helps with the color harmony, but if you decide to send that image, consider cropping out the shutter altogether.

Jeff

Teri_Quance
04-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Thank you for your comments.

Hi Julia... good to see you, too! The cut of fingers bothered me at first, but the image has grown on me... so, I've lost objectivity.

Jeff and John, thank you for your cropping suggestions... I really like the crop as it is. I think they need the breathing room... and I want to leave the story in the image.

Julia, I'll try to post the 3 that merited later. At regionals, I knew the 3 that would merit, would. One I was unsure about, and it didn't merit. Since I'm on the fence with the couple (the others are out)... I probably will try to come up with something else. I'll save it for TPPA.

Thanks for your input guys...

TQ

Keith_A_Howe
04-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Teri, I don't have time to comment on all the images , but wanted to address the couple as that seems to be the one most are focusing on. I think you need to avoid cutting off the railing in the foreground or any of the image area on the left. The railing is out of focus and that may be why there are suggestions to crop it, but her fingers disappear behind the railing. If you take out the rail it looks like you goofed and cropped akwardly into her hand. By leaving the railing there is a reason for the missing fingers. I wish it were in focus but at this point you have to work with what's there. So then what you need is a title that explains why that rail is there. Again I defered to Holly and she said it looks like the balconies of a hotel or apartment so the title is "The Couple Next Door" or " Newlyweds Next Door".

As far as leaving the whole left side, I understand what Jeff and others are saying about how the shutter may be an issue. So what I suggest is when looking at the actual high res file, if it seems like it's too bright or distracting, desaturate the shutter to bring it more into the gray of the windows in the background. What I like about this image is the repeating rectangle shapes of the shutters and windows contrasting with the curving shapes of the two people. I strongly advise changing the presentation. As you have shown it it does not enhance the image and actually distracts. Go for something much simplier to let the image stand on it's own. Maybe a blue gray stroke from the window color and then the backer color taken from the siding of the building. I am also a little concerned about how blue their skin tone looks. But this lap top is not calibrated so that may be why. I get that you are going for that airy light coastal feeling (reminds me of the Hotel Del in San Diego) but you need to keep enough warmth in the skin and enough density that it doesn't die under the intense judging lights.
I see you are from Texas. I guess I will have to DQ myself when this spins around at SWPPA?

Keith

Teri_Quance
04-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Keith...

Thanks for your comments. SWPPA just passed last month. Not sure if I'll make it to the Fall Convention. I did not submit this one... I'm looking for my forth image for nationals, as 3 have already been merited. I agree about the crop... I wasn't planning to crop in on it at all. The printed version has beautiful color. It looks blue here on my computer, too.

So what would you have given it when it came around?

TQ

Keith_A_Howe
04-18-2008, 02:56 PM
SWPPA just passed last month. Not sure if I'll make it to the Fall Convention.

My understanding is they have moved the annual affliate judging to the Fall, so you will actually have two SWPPA affliate competitions in one year this year. Next year the only affliate judging for SWPPA will be the fall one. That's the impression I got when I was contacted to judge for next October. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that?

So what would you have given it when it came around?
TQ

I try to never give a score (just a general vicinity of score LOL!) from looking at an image on the moniter. So many issues are not apparent on a moniter can pop up in the actual print under actual judging conditions. I also know I am dissapointed with how my own competition prints that I posted a few days ago look on the forum as compared to when you actually see them. That being said, as is I would be close but probably not merit this print. If you can improve the presentation and lighting in PS, it could slip over into the merit catergory. I will also be judging at national this year - so maybe I will be on the panel when it comes through there. While I hate to have to DQ myself - I am like a man with a remote when I get a judging machine! LOL! it's always fun to see a print judged when i have seen the evolution of it.

Keith

Teri_Quance
04-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Keith...

Since I just need one more strong pring... this will not likely be the one. I've got others. May run them through the forum, though just to be sure.

Thanks again...

Teri