PDA

View Full Version : Need advice before sending my comp order

Andrea_Chapelo
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I am finally ready to order my first ever comp prints:eek: and now I don't know what to do. I use 2 labs, one is Buckeye and they charge $80 for a 16x20 print comp. and I need 5 YIKES!

Those of you who use Millers (my other lab) what should I choose to mount it on and for spray? I already have them adjusted down to what I think is the right density.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Andrea,
WHCC prints are $25 each. They are certainly good enough!!

Jeff

Ashley_Short
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
I once used buckeye for prints that I wanted for competition. I didn't pay them to do the "competition standards"... it was just the size and mount, etc. Nonetheless, the print came back to me with black marks all over it. When I complained, and got a new lab, they didn't even want to give me my money back. I wasn't too happy...

Art_Wright
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Ditto..........

Auralee_Dallas
04-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Bay Photo does awesome competition prints for about $40. I have used Millers many times as well. They are a bit less. I get them with high gloss laminate when I order from Millers. Once when Millers printed them what I considered to be too dark even for competition, they reprinted them over, no questions asked. $80 is really high in my opinion.

John_Stein
04-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Andrea,

I use Millers and they have done all of my merited competition images. I ask them to print competition density and have it mounted on the 3/16 foam board which is black so I don't have to do a "dressing" to them. As far as spray I have used the lamination in the past but I actually prefer the lustre coating. total cost print mounting and spray is around $36.00 per print.

Hope that helps.

John

Ron_Jackson
04-09-2008, 02:50 AM
WHCC $25 mounted on black foam core and printed on Kodak Professional Ultra Glossy. Perfect prints with no need for spray or lamination. That price includes the shipping.

John_Vanek
04-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Again, Bay Photo is terrific.

Under the Comp Print tab you can go for the Super High Gloss, have it mounted on Gatorfoam (black) and you are ready to go. $36, I think.

John

Zack_Davis
04-09-2008, 05:02 AM
c'mon Andrea just print up 4 8x10's on your inkjet and paste them together... it's awesome cheap AND you will definitly stand out! :D

Andrea_Chapelo
04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
c'mon Andrea just print up 4 8x10's on your inkjet and paste them together... it's awesome cheap AND you will definitly stand out! :D

Thanks to you all for your help.

Jeff I am not a customer of WHCC but if I was...what do I choose for mount or spray?

Although I think Zack's suggestion is the easiest:D

Jeff_Dachowski
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Andrea,
You can easily become a customer of theirs. Even if you just do comp prints through them. I choose the competition mount board with black gator foam. I do not do additional spraying, only what is included in the comp print price.

You also might check with Linda at Delano Color. She is a member here!!!

Jeff

Heather_L._Smith
04-09-2008, 01:24 PM

Even better if you tear off some cardboard from an old box and mount the prints to that. Flip the cardboard over so you don't see the writing though...

Linda_Gregory
04-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Delano Color Imaging does comp prints! NO extra cost, just mention they're comp prints and we will make sure the density looks good.

Besides, we use Fuji gloss so you'll be eligible for both the Kodak and Fuji gallery awards!

You just have to trust ME! Shipping is always free over $40 or your monthly average is equal to that per shipping.

888 315 5561

Andrea_Chapelo
04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Delano Color Imaging does comp prints! NO extra cost, just mention they're comp prints and we will make sure the density looks good.

Besides, we use Fuji gloss so you'll be eligible for both the Kodak and Fuji gallery awards!

You just have to trust ME! Shipping is always free over $40 or your monthly average is equal to that per shipping.

888 315 5561

Well I do trust you! Cause I know you. so I will be calling you to find out what I need to do. Thanks Linda

Linda_Gregory
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
I think I earned your trust because when I dialed you by accident and realized who you were, I CALLED BACK! What a day. You know, glasses now reside in a cubby hole of my car just for those instances! (looking at cell phone with small print...izzat who I think it is??)

Andrea_Chapelo
04-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Hey Linda, when I call should I actually ask for you or is there someone inparticular that sets up accounts?

Linda_Gregory
04-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Andrea, I'm here, but Sue is customer service so either of us. I've 'warned' her you are going to call.

Sorry, was at the alterations place to get my dress ready for HOA!