PDA

View Full Version : Filling the case

Heather_L._Smith
04-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Okay, so I'm at the point where I just need to fill the blank spaces in the case... I'm also at the point where every option I look at is completely unoriginal and boring. So, with that in mind, here's one I'm considering to take that vacant spot in the case. I can't decide if I like the mat color, and I can't decide which way I like her flipped.

Help?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/Aurora_6b.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/Aurora_6.jpg

Angela_Lawson
04-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Heather. I like the bottom one better for some reason. Not sure why, but that's my vote. :)

D._Craig_Flory
04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Angela;

I would definitely go with the top one. The lighting is from the left side of the presentation and the judges eyes will enter from the left and go across to her.

I'd make the background shade about 50% deeper.

Keith_A_Howe
04-08-2008, 05:09 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/HeatherSmith2.jpg

No don't flip it. Is there a reason for keeping it small? I think it could go larger.
Actually I gave this to Holly because I was busy reassembling my office, and she did the work so if you like it the credit goes to her. Here's what she did. First copied a piece of the background area from the upper left corner, flipped and rotated it. Then she layered that over a new background layer of a dusty pink taken from the background and reduced the opacity of the textured layer so some of that pink came through. we usually prefer a plain surrounding matte but on this print we feel this works.

Then she changed the stroke to be the color of her eyes. the nose lips and chin seemed a little flat compared to the top half of her face - so she dodged the angel kiss, the tip of the nose, the ridge around the lips and the fullest spot on the bottom lip to create more dimension and roundness. She took out the two messy strands of hair on the back collar and shortened the curl on the front collar so it didn't intersect with the bottom of the frame. She quickly filled in the empty spots in her hair on the left ( her right) but we both agree that needs to go even father. She burned just the shadows( just 3%) in the maribou on the left side to make sure there is still detail. then she burned the midtones on the right (again her left) to create a stronger feel of directional light. She also dodged the highlights in her hair to make it look shinier.
I think she took it from a average print to an above average print, maybe even squeak a merit.

If there is some reason for keeoing it small here it is the same size as you had it.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/HeatherSmith.jpg

Pretty nice work for "just a print case filler"!
Keith

Heather_L._Smith
04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow... first let me reiterate that you guys rock.

So, I kept the image small because she's a child... and I've had it pounded into my head that children need room to grow! Haha! But, I love, love, love it larger in the presentation.

I love the adjustments you recommended - I was wondering about that pesky hair. I didn't like the gap, but hadn't done anything about it yet. I probably only spent about 10 minutes in PS with this one, so I love your suggestions.

Okay, here comes the stupid question, though... on the one you posted, the right edge of the image goes off the presentation board - was that intentional?

Keith_A_Howe
04-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Okay, here comes the stupid question, though... on the one you posted, the right edge of the image goes off the presentation board - was that intentional?

Well, not really. Holly had it all done and already flattened and saved to post, when we talked about it and decided it should be larger so she didn't have it in layers anymore. So she copied and pasted just the image portion and made it larger. Then it needed to be slide over. You can actually see where she cloned out the original smaller image underneath and didn't get it all. We knew it was like that but it was good enough for you to get the idea. I am kinda of torn whether I like it running off the edge or not. Holly likes it that way, but I am not sure how judges will feel. For a client i would like it that way also. But I do like cropping a little bit of the feathers off on the left like it appears in the bigger one.

I know what you mean about keeping children small and if this was a full length or 3/4 I would probably think so too. But this image is not about a small child in a big world. It's about a beautiful soft face and expressive eyes. Making this image larger helps emphasize those features.

Keith

Andrea_Chapelo
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Boy Heather if that is your case filler, I need to back to square one with mine:eek:

Heather_L._Smith
04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Keith!! I was actually torn on having run off or not as well! I think I'll recrop to pull some of that side off, but still keep the full edge on the presentation board... I cropped this so many different times and couldn't decide! I really like the crop you guys presented.

ANDREA - stop it! You've got some rockin' images! :)

Andrea_Chapelo
04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
ANDREA - stop it! You've got some rockin' images! :)

You are just saying that so I don't short sheet your bed. hahaha

Mark_Levesque
04-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Hahaha. Do it anyway! :D

Keith_A_Howe
04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
You are just saying that so I don't short sheet your bed. hahaha

The best thing we ever did was to a friend that had a poolside room, with floor to ceiling window looking out on the pool area. We stole their drapes. Of course since you are sharing a room, you might want to rethink that idea.
Another good one is to steal their matteress. That's really great if you can shove it into the bathroom and then pull the door closed - so it falls against the door blocks them from opening it? Again , you might want to be using the bathroom so maybe not. Come on Andrea ! Short sheeting is so amature hour. I know you can do better! You are a professional!!!!!

Keith

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
04-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey now... let's not give Andrea any ideas.

Stephanie_Millner
04-08-2008, 10:23 PM
So Andrea... there's this trick that involves a glass of warm water...

Cindi_Delaney
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Andrea have you considered a roll of Saran Wrap?

D._Craig_Flory
04-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Instead of short sheeting ... put corn flakes under the sheet. The best may be extremely difficult to pull off in 2008. We used to screw big flash bulbs into light sockets. (they had the same size base as a 60 watt bulb) When someone turned on that light it was light a flash-bang grenade going off ... very disorienting. :D

Heather_L._Smith
04-08-2008, 11:44 PM
wow... this has taken a very bad turn for me...

Why don't we save this torture for the day I finally make it in to the Loan Collection, eh?

Andrea_Chapelo
04-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Come on Andrea ! Short sheeting is so amature hour. I know you can do better! You are a professional!!!!!

Keith

Keith
You are right Keith, I can think of something better...of course I do think I will need those drapes, so I will have to keep thinking.:D

So Andrea... there's this trick that involves a glass of warm water... hmmmm, that one could be interesting.hahaha

Andrea have you considered a roll of Saran Wrap?
Cindi, That one could backfire on me....I could forget it is there if I have to pee before I have my coffee. lol

Linda_Gregory
04-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Hahaha. Do it anyway! :D

AND we want pictures!