PDA

View Full Version : Print Competition Bootcamp

Michael_Barton
04-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Ask and yea shall receive. MARC Photographer of the Year, John Metcalfe and I(lowly Top 10 at MARC) just put together a cool class for anyone wanting to take their competition skills to the next level. There seems to be a lot of demand for something like this, so sign up and prove us right! Ha. Otherwise, well, John will mope around. . .

I can say from personal experience that there are definitely some things you need to know if you want to score higher. I have been doing competition for a fairly short period of time and there are some tricks to picking images, presentation, printing, and PS that will make you score better faster than you can imagine. We'll be setting up PPA competition lighting and sharing prints that won a lot of awards as well as prints that bit the big one! We are also encouraging people to bring in their own work for critique. We'll be showing images straight out of camera and then the final images on the screen and under the lights.

$125?!! A Merit?!!! Come on now!! We are holding this one in Alton on August 4th! We scheduled this a couple weeks after nationals hoping for some last minute drop ins. . . HA! Well, okay, I'm serious. Timing is everything. SO, get one service merit and a year to get a bunch of print merits. I've posted a flyer.

JohnHeckler
04-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Michael, can you post/upload the PDF? The attached image is not legible.

Michael_Barton
04-04-2008, 01:55 AM
You got it! I tried to fit it into a really small upload size. Here's a link:

http://www.indigophotographic.com/workshops/PrintCompBootCamp.pdf

JohnHeckler
04-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks Michael ... now I just have one more favor ... can you host one in Cinci, OH or somewhere near :-)

Michael_Barton
04-04-2008, 02:42 AM
Seriously? Drop me a line. 630-761-2990. We can do that. Heck, I like to travel. I'm always open if people will have me. I'm speaking for John as well! Ha.

Noelle_Zaleski
04-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Michael, where is this? I am assuming it's not near NJ

John_Metcalfe
04-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Noelle,

It's at my studio in Alton,IL. This is directly across from St. Louis, MO.

Here's the address and studio number if anyone is interested.

560 E. Broadway
Alton, IL 62002

D._Craig_Flory
04-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Michael & John;

It is much easier to read now. I would suggest that you tell those who have never served in the military that 17:00 = 5:00PM. ;)

That looks like a good seminar for state associations also. Is there any interest in traveling to Pa. ?

Louise_St.Romain
04-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi Michael & John;

It is much easier to read now. I would suggest that you tell those who have never served in the military that 17:00 = 5:00PM. ;)

That looks like a good seminar for state associations also. Is there any interest in traveling to Pa. ?

If you go to PA, I'd be interested in being there. :)

Michael_Barton
04-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I guess I got a little carried away with the whole boot camp thing!!!! Ha! Then there's the whole squeezing it on a low res post thing. Ha! When we came up with the idea, we thought it would be something that could be taught anywhere and would very valuble to pretty much anyone looking to boost their scores. We can both humbly attest to that. Being on both sides of the equation is hard. I've certainly seen prints score low that could have scored higher for dumb stuff on my end! It's better being on the other side though. Enough of that.

I'd be all over PA. I know John's usually up for just about anything! We're getting tattooed tomorrow so speaking is a little more controlled. Did I say "we", well, at least John is. . . Ha! If anyone has any interest in taking the class in Alton let us know. If anyone would like to offer this workshop somewhere else we can certainly talk about it. Thank you all for your support and encouragement. I think we are on to something cool and I hope we can change lives here and really be a positive influence on the photographic community. That's what this is all about. If it was about the money, well, there were other avenues! This is more rewarding.

D._Craig_Flory
04-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I wanted to point out to the new to competition photographers. This Boot Camp will help you as much as two years of reading posts on here ... or more. Go taking along images you might have considered entering. Compare to images on display. Try to learn how to create images for competition on paying assignments and how to approach preparing them.

If this was here in Pa. I'd be in the class ... and I've been competing since 1975.

Michael_Barton
04-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for a great endorsement! John and I have both been tied up with a Super Monday Class so neither of us had a chance to post a response until today. We are going to work on offering more of these for people in different regions. I think it's a great opportunity for a lot of people and we know we'll learn a lot ourselves. It's great all around.

Mark_Levesque
04-08-2008, 05:52 PM
I will agree that teaching a class provides you with a lot of learning as well. Especially when things don't go as expected. Funny how much easier it is to think when there aren't all those extra pairs of eyes looking on expectantly. :)

D._Craig_Flory
04-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I certainly learned. When I did all my Photoshop classes, going for Craftasman, I learned while teaching. Since there are "at least" 10 way to do things in Photoshop, people in my classes would point out other ways to me.

John_Metcalfe
04-13-2008, 07:47 AM
August 4th is shaping up to be a pretty cool gig! So much so that the day before we are opening up the studio for an open house. I've never had one,so what better time right? Accomodations, food and entertainment considerations are currently being set up.

paulrogers
04-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey John,
Looks to be a great class. If you need any extra 77's for examples of what not to do, just let me know.

John_Metcalfe
04-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey John,
Looks to be a great class. If you need any extra 77's for examples of what not to do, just let me know.

77s are welcome! We'll take them all. That's also going to be part of the class. Going through our old prints and tearing them apart. Nothing like rehashing old wounds...

Michael_Barton
04-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Yep. As Conrad would say:

"The horror, the horror"

The low prints are the one's that I'm least looking forward to. It's really easy to view the 96's, but man the rest bring back interesting memories. The 79's are hands-down the worst.

D._Craig_Flory
04-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Yep. As Conrad would say:

"The horror, the horror"

The low prints are the one's that I'm least looking forward to. It's really easy to view the 96's, but man the rest bring back interesting memories. The 79's are hands-down the worst.

Hi Michael;

I think you will agree that the worst 79's are when you see an 80 on the back of the print and it was crossed out and a 79 written instead. That means you had it and lost it in the ins and outs. :(

Michael_Barton
04-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Yep! Been there! A big thing is entering prints in a local group or in Fall to see what they do before you send them to an affiliate panel. As I rule I don't send anything in for seals that wasn't judged somewhere else first. That helps BIG TIME. Not to give something from the class away!!! Ha!

paulrogers
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
I (just like most of us) have been on both sides of that 79/80 fence going through ins and outs, it's definitely hard when one gets kicked back but on the other hand it sure is a good feeling when one makes it over into that merit neighborhood.

Paul

John_Metcalfe
07-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Just a reminder that we are having our open house and print competition bootcamp on Aug 3 & 4.

Here is a link to the registration site:

http://www.indigophotographic.com/bootcamp/PrintCompBootCampFull.jpg

But if your not intending to take the class and remotely in our area (St. Louis). We would love to have you at the party! For an R.S.V.P. contact me at: 618-462-6431 or jmetcalfephoto@yahoo.com.

Jim_Heidorn
07-01-2008, 06:13 PM
John,

Hopefully the river will be down by then, and the mess cleaned up.

I may try to make the open house, as I have things going on on the 4th.

Jim
(17 miles south of St. Louis)

Angela_Lawson
07-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Just a reminder that we are having our open house and print competition bootcamp on Aug 3 & 4.

Here is a link to the registration site:

http://www.indigophotographic.com/bootcamp/PrintCompBootCampFull.jpg

But if your not intending to take the class and remotely in our area (St. Louis). We would love to have you at the party! For an R.S.V.P. contact me at: 618-462-6431 or jmetcalfephoto@yahoo.com.

John,

I would love to come, as I really want to get into print competition now, but after the very long drive for Jeff's class, I know I won't be able afford another trip so soon. However, it is a class I'm really interested in, so if you decide to offer it elsewhere (closer to Michigan), I'll try to make it, or if you are going to record it, I'd love a copy. I know that I wouldn't get the merit for the copy of the class, but I'd really love the info. anyway.

Angela

John_Metcalfe
07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
John,

I would love to come, as I really want to get into print competition now, but after the very long drive for Jeff's class, I know I won't be able afford another trip so soon. However, it is a class I'm really interested in, so if you decide to offer it elsewhere (closer to Michigan), I'll try to make it, or if you are going to record it, I'd love a copy. I know that I wouldn't get the merit for the copy of the class, but I'd really love the info. anyway.

Angela

Angela,

None of these requests are too much to ask for! I think Michael and I could make something happen. We are both willing to travel and we have had our programs recorded before. We'll see what we can do!

John_Metcalfe
07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
John,

Hopefully the river will be down by then, and the mess cleaned up.

I may try to make the open house, as I have things going on on the 4th.

Jim
(17 miles south of St. Louis)

Jim,

I think we've crested or will over the next couple days. It's all good where I sit though... (up hill) Hope things work to your advantage a little quicker than they have in the past. We would love to have you.

Send me an e-mail and I'll get you an invite!

Kari_J_Blunck
08-01-2008, 11:33 PM
I wish I could go!!!
If you ever make it over to the Seattle, WA area, I'd definitely have to attend!

John_Metcalfe
08-02-2008, 05:16 AM
Kari, Michael & I are kicking around the idea of doing just that. Talk to your local & state board. Maybe we're closer than you think to heading your way!

Angela_Lawson
08-06-2008, 03:27 PM
So guys, how'd it go? Details please!!! Did you get a chance to record it?

Barbara_Adelman
08-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi Angela - the boys did a great job - lots of info and put us in the "judge's" seat so that we could start looking for the 12 items that judges are asked to consider. - They even brought out the stuff they had hidden from years ago for us talk about what didn't work

Angela_Lawson
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi Barbara. Good to hear from you! Sounds like the program was a hit, wish I could have been there.

Roger_Williams
08-07-2008, 04:04 PM
For anyone interested, if these guys take the Boot Camp on the road, you really need to attend. It was a great class that could have easily gone for 2 days. I just entered my first comp. last Spring (and had one merit) and the insight I gained from this class is not only going to help me produce better comp. prints, but it will help me in my everyday portrait sessions which is the reason I attend the camp. The class scored a solid A++.

Teri_Quance
08-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Michael...

You're such a cool cat!

xo, Teri Q.