PDA

View Full Version : portrait for CC

Laura_Piazza
04-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Some of you may have seen this one before. I have done a bit of work on it to try to make it work more successfully. Any thoughts on the new version and also is the image too large on the mat?
thanks!

can be seen bigger here:
http://www.naturalexpressions-photo.com/nhppa/

Keith_A_Howe
04-01-2008, 12:29 AM
That's what we were talking about! I know I told you on the phone to try a centered composition, but I think (after Holly told me that I think this and she is usually right) that the image should slide to the right on the board. He has pretty snappy eyes all on his own, but you could enhance them a bit. Call me back if you don't know how to do that. Take a little bit more off the top yet.

Keith

MarilynDillon
04-01-2008, 01:10 AM
I loved this kid from the beginning but I think the presentation and the black and white are really bringing it out beautifully!

Laura_Piazza
04-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks Keith. I am really liking it now. I have two variations for the matting. I wasn't sure if there was too much mat on the horizontal when I moved it to the right, so tried another option. What do you think. Vertical or Horizontal. Good idea -- I will sharpen the eyes as well.

Keith_A_Howe
04-01-2008, 02:07 AM
I like either one but am leaning toward the vertical just because it is a little different. As far as the eyes, I didn't mean sharpen them, just enhance them. Dodge the crescents and catchlights, burn the dark ring around the iris, dodge the whites lightly in a semicircle on each side of the eye. then I burn the lashes and dodge the lashes, this enhances the highlights and shadows of the lashes to make them pop out.

Here is an example - it may look like too much here, but you have to imagine it as a smaller part of the whole image.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/eyesenhanced.jpg

You can also enhance the lighting pattern a little by dodging and burning and if you really want to go the whole nine yards, lightly dodge the little highlighted ridge around his lips and his angel's kiss (the indentation from the nose to the upper lip. You could also lightly dodge the highlights in his hair and lightly burn the shadows to give his hair more dimension. I would also slightly burn in his earlobe on his left - camera right so it was not as bright as his face. Notice I keep saying lightly and slightly, use a gentle hand, too much is worse than none at all.

Keith

Laura_Piazza
04-01-2008, 02:14 AM
oh wow, that looks great! thanks for hte tip. I will try that out tomorrow!

Noelle_Zaleski
04-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Laura, nice job on getting rid of the stripes! I loved this little mans eye from the beginning.

Laura_Piazza
04-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks Noelle. Isn't photoshop great!