PDA

View Full Version : Still new to competition, I guess!

Ashley_Short
03-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi, guys! I've submitted a print to competition once before, but it was kind of on a whim, and mostly just for the critique. (I never though it would merit!) :) Anyway, I'd like to submit again, but this time I want to be more prepared. I have no idea, really, what I want to submit for sure, but these two images always stick out to me.

The one of the flower girl breaks a lot of rules, but it gets tons of attention, so I want to know what you guys think.

The little girl and the baby is just one that I personally love, for whatever reason. Not sure if it matters, but when I was shooting, she was barely able to hold her 2 wk old brother, and the parents were so trusting... :eek: kinda a strange moment for me. Anyway, I love the image but I wouldn't know where to start critiquing it...I really can't critique my own work that well. Everyone else... please bring it on!

I'd like to know what it's good, what's not, if either are worth entering, and if so, what you would title them. (I'm thinking something like "Main Squeeze" or "Baby Love" for the B&W one.)

Thanks for your help!!!

Ashley :)

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Ashley
The flower girl image has possibilities. Do you have the top of the basket and her hand? I like the soft light direction used here. You would need to make sure the basket and petals have lots of detail and texture as well as a great title.

The girl and baby, while it has special meaning to you and the parents, I do not see it meriting. It would still be a good learning image or case filler as if you had a panel with a couple of real emotional judges that would really talk it up, it might go. The problem I see most is the flat lighting.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Keith

Ashley_Short
03-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Ashley
The flower girl image has possibilities. Do you have the top of the basket and her hand? I like the soft light direction used here. You would need to make sure the basket and petals have lots of detail and texture as well as a great title.

Keith

No, unfortunately, I don't have the top of her hand/basket. I don't know what I was thinking. I think I was just happy that the little girl would give me 2 seconds. :(

Anyone have any title ideas?

I see a lot of ppl have viewed, but only 1 comment!

Keith_A_Howe
03-30-2008, 11:20 PM
How about a second image of the same angle of her holding the basket that you maybe discarded because of eyes or something? You could work in the handle and hand from it?????? said with a wish and a hope.
Keith

Ashley_Short
03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
How about a second image of the same angle of her holding the basket that you maybe discarded because of eyes or something? You could work in the handle and hand from it?????? said with a wish and a hope.
Keith

Nope... I don't think so. I've had someone mention the hand being cut off to me once before, and I remember looking for it then. It's definitely one of those times when you just want to smack yourself!! How could I do that!!??

So goes life.

Nylora_Bruleigh
03-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Ashley,

My first thought for a title of the girl and baby was "A Real Doll". i thought it was at first then I realized it was a baby!

Ashley_Short
05-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Sorry to revive this, but now that I'm looking into being certified, I want to ask if anyone thinks these would make the cut for that image submission or not.

Also, what's the rule for how old the images can be?

Thanks again!!

Darren_Osgood
05-06-2008, 01:57 AM
Ashley,

According to the website here;

http://certifiedphotographer.com/documents/CPPimage.pdf

Images have to be from 20 different job assignments completed in the last 24 months.

Darren