PDA

View Full Version : To Stroke or Not to Stroke

MarilynDillon
03-29-2008, 03:36 PM
What do you think? Also welcoming titles - thank you.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/MarilynXD/Possible%20Comp/DawnsLight_Stroke_Post.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/MarilynXD/Possible%20Comp/DawnsLight_Post.jpg

Noelle_Zaleski
03-29-2008, 03:38 PM
ooooh I like this image alot.:) :) :)

window light

Cindi_K_McDaniel
03-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I kind of like the stroke...

Noelle_Zaleski
03-29-2008, 03:48 PM
oh yeah the stroke! Sorry I like the image so much I forgot one of the questions. I like the stroke.

D._Craig_Flory
03-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Marilyn;

It definitely needs a stroke. Using the connotation of a candle in the window : "Till He Returns" as a title idea. That could even be for our troops as "Till They Return" . I LIKE THE IMAGE !!!

MarilynDillon
03-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Oooohhhh - love "till they return!"!!!! got chills - perhaps that helps the impact

Noelle_Zaleski
03-29-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree, great title!!

John_Metcalfe
03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Marilyn,

No one has mentioned the angle shift of your window. Have you tried to adjust it? And I do like the stripe. The main thing is not to have the color in the stripe match anything on the edge of the image. Good job!

MarilynDillon
03-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey John - I think i know what you are talking about. The top horizontal grid line angles slightly upwards. I did try to adjust it but then the horizontal line of the windowsill shifted too much -- if you have any ideas of how to fix that I am all ears. thanks!:)

John_Metcalfe
03-29-2008, 04:25 PM
take your layer go to edit, transform, perspective. Ho;ding down the shift button, (I pulled upward on the top right corner). After finishing that step, re-crop into your rectangle (this cleans up the warped look), then add your stripe back.

John_Metcalfe
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm not too sure if you can see the change on here that well, but if you take it and lay it over your original post you will see. BTW If you submit to a judge an off level print it better look intentional or they nail the door shut on you!

Cheers!

MarilynDillon
03-29-2008, 05:12 PM
thanks very much john - will have a go at it.

KirkDarling
03-29-2008, 08:07 PM
The problem with not using a stroke is that the blacks of the image are not exactly the same tone as the black of the border color. That would show clearly under bright competion lights.

The stroke obscures that difference, and what difference might still exist would look more like something you intended.

MarilynDillon
03-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Here it is - I think I fixed the perspective problem -- and learned a mad new photoshop skill (thanks john!). I really appreciate your help with noticing that faux pas!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii318/MarilynXD/Possible%20Comp/TillTheyComeHome_2_Post.jpg

Rick_Massarini
03-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Stroke...
...I used to dance the stroke back in the disco days...
...and I think I may have had a few - that's the reason for the first answer...

Really - I like the stroke. I think the image needs the stroke to define the edge of the image and keep it from blending into the matting.
The slight perspective distortion of the window doesn't bother me at all since it's an artistic rendition and not a commercial image. Since I'm an old commercial guy, uncorrected perspectives bother me a lot in images that contain archietectural items, but once you take it to this point, the slight convergence of the windows becomes moot compared to the feeling that the image conveys.
I like it! - just take that big C with the circle around it out of the image... oops, I may have just had another one ... (stroke) ...

Don_Chick
03-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Stroke.... very nice image!