PDA

View Full Version : First time entering... trying to decide on finals

Laura_Piazza
03-28-2008, 11:04 PM
I am planning on entering in my first NHPPA competition this April and would love some help deciding on which to enter, from those of you who have competed before. I have a link below that has all the ones that i like. I have posted some of them in previous threads and have had feedback on some of them. There are some new ones (particularly the bottles) that I am not sure on which would be best -- if good enough at all to merit.

I don't really have names for most, so just put untitled or a temporary name under each so they can easily be referred to. Thanks for the help!

http://www.naturalexpressions-photo.com/nhppa/

Noelle_Zaleski
03-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Laura, I love the bottles #4 really nice.

I love the bride leaving the room

You know I love the mother and baby but that hand is going to be a factor for sure.

I like the braed winner but I am not sure how an image with so much going on is judged. There is alot to look at and my eyes did not go to the bread right away.

Now with that said I am going by my first reactions and how I fealt when seeing them. I have neveer entered a comp and wish you the best of luck!!!

MarilynDillon
03-29-2008, 01:45 AM
Hey Laura -- it is just me :)
I like bottles #3 best.
I love the one of the little boy -- he is gorgeous. I might work on the catch lights in his eyes so there is just one each instead of the line extending from the main catchlight. The lighting on the background is a bit uneven -- don't know if that is something you want to work on. I would also make sure that for final presentation that he wasn't so large. I would put a smaller photo in the 16x20 mat. Think it is best to make sure the image is smaller than an actual head.
I also like "loving gaze" -- if it were me, I would apply more softness and a white vignette, perhaps.
In Bread Winner - I am looking for the center of interest.
Love the bride leaving the room (as you know)
and I love the Bride in the Storm (i might have a title for you for this one). You might need to work on the sky a little so the white part doesn't draw the viewer away from the subject.
My 2 cents -- and that is all it is worth -- as you know, I am new to this too.

MarilynDillon
03-31-2008, 01:51 AM
hi laura
was hoping you would get more comments - maybe this post will get you higher on the board and someone will look again.

Jacob_Chinn
03-31-2008, 04:45 AM
All right I'll have a go.

Of the bottles I like #4, but it looks a little flat to me. The other bottle shots have a whiter background. If you brought the levels up so the background went white I might like it more. I also like bottle #3 a lot.

I like the little boy because he has such huge blue eyes, but his hair gets lost in the background a bit. I think a little more separation in tonal values from hair to background would be good.

I really like the wedding dress shot.

On the mom holding the baby, I think the baby looks a little uncomfortable/unhappy, which makes the tender moment not so tender.

On the last shot I really like the way the groom looks. It has a very modern feel to it, but I can't tell what the groom is doing. Is he jumping off something or standing on something. I couldn't quite figure it out. Maybe if it were a little lighter by his foot I could tell.

I hope that helps, but I have the same amount of competition experience as you.

Laura_Piazza
04-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks Marilyn:)
And thanks Jacob and Noelle for your great feedback. I have a new version of the little boy with the striped shirt -- that no longer has stripes. I'll be putting it up on a new thread. Keith Howe gave me some great input on the image, so it now is a BW and I think/hope it's coming along well.