PDA

View Full Version : Image Placement

Stewart_Schulze
03-28-2008, 04:00 AM
i was thinking about the placement of an image.
Because of digital we seem to be moving the image placement around on the mat (more then in the past). I understand the placement of the subject in the Thirds but if we are just taking a centered image and making it smaller then moving it to the side and/or bottom is that making the image a better image. I have to say that i have moved an image on a mat once or twice (maybe more) but usually it is just to make a composition, that just needed a little help, stronger.
i would love here what others think.

D._Craig_Flory
03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Because of digital we seem to be moving the image placement around on the mat (more then in the past). I understand the placement of the subject in the Thirds but if we are just taking a centered image and making it smaller then moving it to the side and/or bottom is that making the image a better image.
i would love here what others think.

Hi Stewart;

When I 1st competed, back in the mid 70's, I submitted full bleed prints, like everyone else. Then the advent of step-mounts was introduced to me. I took a class with Master Craftsman Jerry Pokorny & also bought his video "Mounting Up Merits". I bought the tools and started doing my own step mounts. It was a lot of work and stressful too but also cheaper than paying the lab an extra $200.00 or more per print for them to do it. It was all about presentation & composition.

Now, with digital files, all that is a lot easier to do and no glue is involved either. For clients, full bleed is fine. They don't care about correct composition or placement. But in competition, you need to play the game & strive to submit images that knock the judges socks off. If you can create an image where a full bleed will do that, great. But if a step-mount will add a lot more to the overall presentation and thereby grab a few more points then do it.

Rick_Massarini
03-28-2008, 04:54 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread to a tangent, but I thought I'd interject this thought as a sales tip

The step-mount not only works well for focusing attention for competition images, but once you have some of these sttep-mounted images on your walls, you'll probably find yourself selling quite a few of them. The younger crowd likes the "artsy" look, and the older crowd likes the fact that the image is already matted and ready to go into the frame with the exact accent colors that they wanted when tehy leave the studio - also - the step-mounting will sometimes help you to upsell a 16x20 to a 20x24 just by adding the digital matt.